Status: three shot

Dangerous Acts

two.

She was sitting at the bar with her back to him. Since they’d parted ways that afternoon, she’d changed her clothes (much to Brandon’s disappointment. He rather liked the fringe bikini.) and done her hair and makeup. The loose, animal print blouse hung off her to where it disappeared inside the waist band of a pair of leather shorts.

What kind of doctor was this woman? A stiletto sporting, fringe bikini attired, little cross wearing doctor was one he’d never come across. But Dr. Howard managed to pull it off just fine.

Long waves tumbled down her back and as Brandon approached her stool, the luckiest thing in the room, he caught a whiff of her perfume and he nearly had to turn around to collect himself. In her secluded corner of the counter, she’d managed to cast another spell on him without trying.

“Mind if I join you?” he cleared his throat and she jumped a little, much like he had that afternoon. “Or would you rather be alone?”

“I was enjoying drinking copious amounts of alcohol on my own,” she pretended to weigh her options. “But sure, take a seat.” She sipped her drink. “Surprised to see you here.”

“Are you?” he flagged down the bartender to order himself a drink. “And why’s that?”

Vi shrugged. “Just didn’t seem like your kind of place.”

“Speak for yourself,” Brandon watched the bartender toss around bottles. “I found you sitting all alone twice today and you say this isn’t my scene?” he turned to face her. “I’ve got free booze, good music, and a beautiful woman next to me to enjoy it all with. How can that not be my scene?”

“And you somehow manage to slip in another line,” Vi shook her head with a little laugh. “Fair enough, Bollig.”

“Oh come on,” he complained. “Last names?”

“I wouldn’t call your captain by his last name,” she teased. “Would definitely be calling him Jonathan.”

That rubbed Brandon the wrong way. He knew it was a joke, knew she didn’t mean it to hurt him. But for some reason, after watching girls fall all over his captain this past season – even while his girlfriend was there – he felt like she could do a little better.

“I’d rather you be screaming my name, sweetheart.”

Vi’s eyes widened and she gulped audibly. “You call me by my first name and I’ll call you by yours.”

“You got it, sweetheart,” Brandon winked.

*~*~*~*~*~*


He wore a pair of linen shorts and polo with sunglasses tucked into the collar. It wasn’t fair; watching those biceps stretch the shirts material to its max. All night, she pretended not to be watching the way his muscles rippled beneath each piece of fabric and instead concentrated on what he was saying. It didn’t help that they’d moved away from the bar and onto an overstuffed leather loveseat.

Brandon was an interesting guy and seemed to prove quite a few stereotypes wrong. He loved his niece, loved his home in St. Louis, and actually missed his time playing in the AHL.

“So what are the odds of us getting together again tomorrow?” he asked as the night began winding down.

“We leave tomorrow morning, actually,” Vi sighed and for the first time, she actually regretted wanting to leave. Sure it had been a nice vacation, but until that day on the boat, she’d wanted nothing more than to be spending her vacation sun tanning on her own roof. “I have to be back to work on Monday.”

“Today’s on Thursday, though,” Brandon furrowed his brow. Surely she didn’t need that much time at home.

“We’ll be traveling all day tomorrow and I’ll need the weekend to get back into my normal routine,” she explained. “I really don’t want to start working any night shifts while jet lagged.”

She could see him struggle to contain his distaste at her statement and then finally get it under control. It was shocking how quickly they’d both become attached to each other. Actually, it was a little dangerous.

After their deaths, Viola made a promise to herself. Never would she become so dependent on a man. She’d watched her mother go in a downward spiral after her husband – the father of their three young girls – and it wasn’t a pretty sight. Instead, she fought for what she wanted. Years of work turned into almost decade and by the time she had MD attached to her name and a job secured, all that seemed left was settling down. But even skipping a grade in middle school and graduating college a year early hadn’t prepared her for that.

“Okay,” Vi dragged out the word. “Why don’t you go and get me another drink? I’m thirsty.”

“Oh, so now I’m getting you drinks?” he laughed a little.

“I performed a potentially life threatening act with you this afternoon,” she reminded him. “The least you can do is give me a few minutes of peace and go get me another wine.”

“But dangerous acts are so much more fun when you’re not alone,” Brandon insisted.

“Go get me a red, you lazy ass,” Vi playfully pushed him off the leather seat.

“Still no first name,” he grumbled to her in the same playful manner.

Across the room, on Cal’s arm and with the couple Brandon had come with on the boat and to the party, was Zoella. A happy smile was on her lips and it nearly made Viola fall off her seat. She was watching her younger sister intently and, just as Cal turned to her, a small nod was given Vi’s way. An act of approval.

To distract herself from the odd showing from her Zoella, Vi turned her attention to the opposite direction. Brandon leaned against the bar, waiting for their drinks.

I hate to say goodbye.

It was the only thought that rolled around in her brain as he made his way back towards her with two drinks in his hand.

*~*~*~*~*~*


The night wore on and soon the party dwindled. Kyle and Nadia were by the front door, exchanging a few last words with Cal and Zoella. Brandon looked at his friend begrudgingly. The last thing he wanted to do was leave.

“So,” she shifted on her now bare feet, dragging out the ‘o’. “I guess this is goodbye.”

“We could do this again,” he attempted to hide the eagerness in his voice. “When we’re back in Chicago.”

Vi cocked her head to the side. “You won’t be back to Chicago until, what, early September? That’s a ways off.”

“I could come back early,” he dug through his pockets. “Just give me your number.” He came up empty, remembering exactly where he’d left his phone that afternoon in his room. “Shit. Uh, can I see your phone?”

“Doesn’t work over here,” Vi said. “Your friends are leaving.”

“Can I find some paper?”

Vi laughed. “Isn’t it supposed to be uncool to want a girl’s number this badly?”

“Is it?” he furrowed his brow.

“I don’t think so,” she said finally. “But hey, maybe I’ll… catch you around? I’m sure my little sister would love some of your teammates… unfortunately.”

“Am I really leaving without your number?” Brandon sighed, brushing some hair from her face.

“I think you are, Brandon,” he nearly missed her saying his first name. “Maybe you’ll find me trying to jump off the Sears Tower for my next stunt.”

“It’s not the Sears Tower anymore,” Brandon stepped closer to her. “And not without me, you’re not.”

“It will always be the Sears Tower,” she breathed out just as his lips connected with her own.

It wasn’t particularly long, as Kyle called out his friend’s name, but it almost had him picking Vi up and carrying her back to his room. Almost.

“I guess I’ll be seeing you, sweetheart.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Second one! Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!

Party