Status: All finished! :)

One More Night

Chapter 13

“Oh shit,”

Bree stood shaking in the middle of her bathroom. She’d assumed that the stress she’d caused herself over Marc’s leaving and work and everything else had delayed everything, but this said otherwise. The pregnancy test had seemed ridiculous at the time, but she figured she needed to rule it out before going to a doctor to see if all was normal or not.

This was not normal. This couldn’t be happening.

Not when Marc was gone.

“Honey? You okay in there?” Anna called. Bree cursed, wishing that Anna hadn’t insisted on coming over this afternoon. It seemed like every time someone came around something that had to do with Marc came up. First Bree had stumbled through some pictures that they’d taken and been in tears when Anna came over for movie night. Now this.

“Y-yeah, I’m fine,” the sob caught in her throat on the last word, and before she could say another word Anna burst in the door. Her eyes widened at the small device in Bree’s hands, before tears welled up in her eyes and she silently reached out and took it from Bree. Without the test in her hands to anchor her down Bree began to forcibly shake, leaning on the bathroom counter for support.

“You’re…?” Anna couldn’t bring herself to say it, and Bree shrugged.

“It might be wrong. They aren’t a hundred percent accurate… my mom had three false positive tests before she had me,” Bree was spouting off information in an attempt to get her numb brain to think logically. This had to be wrong, there was no way on earth that she could possibly be pregnant – it was awful timing, she wasn’t in a relationship, they’d always been careful…

“Oh God,” the whisper escaped before she clapped a hand over her mouth, Anna watching her with concern. They hadn’t always… that last night, the date out by the lake. Things had moved along so quickly and they’d both been so caught up in each other that it hadn’t even crossed their minds. Surely though, the pill would have prevented a pregnancy there.

“Bree? I’m going to phone the doctor’s office, okay?” Anna spoke slowly and softly, as if Bree were a wild, frightened animal trapped in a corner that needed comfort. She managed to nod, before sliding down the wall until she was curled up in a ball on the floor. Her father would never forgive her if she really was pregnant, and single to boot. Vik would understand; her older brother was always levelheaded and logical. It was why he was such a good doctor.

“Okay, we can go down there right now Bree,” she looked up in panic at her blonde friend, and Anna swallowed hard before crouching down and wrapping her arms around Bree. “The sooner you know, the better… right?”

“I guess,” she squeaked the two words out as Anna helped her up and off of the floor. After finding her purse Anna bundled her out of the apartment and into the car, taking a deep breath before driving down to the doctor’s office. A short wait later had Bree sitting in a treatment room, her arms around herself and Anna’s hand on her back, there for support.

The doctor came in, did the usual routine of asking what she could do to help. Bree could hardly get the words out, and the doctor noticed, immediately becoming gentle and soothing as she got Bree set up for the two tests she could run – one all too similar to the home test Bree had done, as well as ordering blood work, just to be sure.

It only took about forty-five minutes before the doctor returned to the treatment room, a few pages in hand to add to Bree’s file. The suspense and unknowing was killing her, and Anna was in the same state.

“Well, I don’t know whether to congratulate you or not, Miss Marden, but you are pregnant. I can give you some information – both pro-life and pro-choice, so you can make a decision regarding the next step you want to take,” the quiet, soothing voice of the doctor was all that prevented Bree from breaking down where she sat. Taking the initiative, Anna got the information from the doctor and thanked her for her time, before slowly getting Bree out of the doctor’s office and back into her car. Bree’s silence and stoic expression was more frightening than her bursting out in tears, which Anna knew wasn’t far from occurring.

“Oh my God,” Bree’s big brown eyes turned to Anna, the tears streaming down her cheeks now. It didn’t need to be said that this summer guy Bree was so hung up on was the father, but Anna didn’t know if she could ask what Bree would do. They’d never talked about this, because it had never came up. Unless something happens to you or someone you’re close to or around, the subject doesn’t really come up.

“His?” Bree’s eyes clouded in confusion, and she cocked her head to the side slightly. Anna didn’t know what else to say, Bree hadn’t told her the name of this mystery man who had managed to melt all the walls her best friend had put up.

“That guy,” Bree’s eyes darkened with recognition, and the sobs started as she managed to nod. Bree felt terrible burdening her best friend with this information; it was her own fault that now she was in such a mess, and things were looking up for Anna. She and Mike were doing great, the last thing Anna needed was the drama of Bree’s life to ruin it.

“Yeah,”

Anna nodded, not knowing what to say. She couldn’t say anything else, because she didn’t know enough about this man to know what to say. Whether she should urge Bree to talk to him, that he needed to know, or whether Bree was better off on her own. Not completely on her own, but without this man in the picture.

The drive back to Bree’s apartment was silent, save for the sniffles that came from the brunette. Her parents had become pregnant with her brother Viktor when they were only eighteen and nineteen, and had drilled the whole ‘marriage before children’ thing into their children. So while her father understood that things happened, he wouldn’t be so understanding about Bree finding herself pregnant without even a boyfriend. He would hopefully come around eventually, but it wouldn’t be pretty.