Insanity

Chapter Four

Wheeling the same suitcase behind me as I did a little while ago for Bootcamp, I made my way through the doors of the London Airport, my eyes scanning around to look for the five other girls in my group that I would be travelling with to see Danni. This dream of mine was so close to becoming reality that I could almost taste it.
"Elise, over here!" I heard a voice call out to me, and turned with a smile to see Stacey, Lucie, and Despina gathered in a little group by some of the flight schedule monitors. I made my way over to them and brought them all into a hug, noticing that everyone was still smiling from the Bootcamp results. When Nicole and Brunette Stacey finally made it to the airport and had joined us, Stacey pulled out the envelope we'd been given that would reveal our location for our last performance before the finals- if we made it.
"You guys ready?" she asked us, trying hard to keep her fingers from trembling. We all nodded, and slowly, she pulled out the slip of paper.
It read,
Dubai.
"Oh my god!" Despina shrieked in delight, which caused us all to scream together, jumping up and down. Honestly, I didn't care if people saw me doing what I was doing. I was one of the final twenty-four acts left in The X Factor, only one of six girls remaining, and I was going to Dubai to perform for Danni Minogue.
Lining up along with the rest of the group to pick up our tickets and boarding passes, a faint buzz from my pocket caused me to look down in surprise; I'd pulled it out and turned it on with a smile when I saw who had texted me.
"Overs are headed to LA. Where you going to? Jx"
I quickly texted a response back to Jamie, stuffing my phone back in my jeans and grabbing my suitcase, wheeling it through the checkpoints until we'd boarded the plane. I didn't know how long it would take until we reached Dubai, so I stared out the window until I ended up napping on Lucie's shoulder.
Nicole had to wake me up when we arrived, and I was very thankful that she did. Everything around us was nothing short of absolutely breathtaking. Palm trees and ocean green-blue waters as far as the eye could see.
"Hold on a minute," Brunette Stacey breathed when we stepped out of the limo. "I thought we were going to be performing at a house!"
But alas, in front of us was an enormous, sky-high suite resort. I could even see the indoor waterpark from the windows. "Well, are we just gonna stand here, or are we gonna go down some tube slides?" I asked with a large smile, to which everyone shrieked and followed me inside. We ended up spending the rest of the afternoon exploring the resort, which consisted of gasping in awe over the gigantic aquarium, laughing as we swam in the outdoor pool with some dolphins, and window-shopping at the clothing stores.
Making our way to Danni's luxury suite as soon as our mini-holiday was over, we looked around incredulously at the vast array of gorgeous flowers and fountains that decorated it, but we didn't really start smiling and clapping until our mentor came through the door to greet us.
"Hello, my beautiful girls!" she smiled warmly, bringing us into a hug before she got serious for a bit again. "Now, I do want you all to remember that by the end of the day tomorrow, only three of you will be going forward to the live shows."
I nodded in understanding along with everyone else, biting my lip.
Danni had linked her fingers together in front of her. "And it's gonna be really tough deciding, so I needed some help to do that. So I decided on someone very close to me..."
At my left side, Despina took my hand in anticipation. I gave it a couple squeezes and swung it lightly back and forth.
The smile on our judge's face couldn't have gotten bigger as she spoke once more. "So, I'd like to introduce you all to... my sister, Kylie Minogue!"
Lucie and Brunette Stacey screamed in delight, and I covered my mouth with my hands when I saw the younger sister enter the room. My god, she was beautiful! And the similarities between her and Danni were so noticeable now that they were standing next to each other. This was amazing.
"Hi, girls!" she greeted us with an identical grin. We all waved back before she spoke some more. "Now, ladies... there isn't a second chance for you all anymore. This is it, so be yourselves, have a blast, and show us what you've got, okay?"
We all nodded in understanding. Kylie was right. This was basically our last chance.
It was now or never.

Throughout the rest of the day, we all just wandered around Danni's suite, doing our absolute best to think of the perfect song to sing for our final audition. I, myself, had made a list beforehand, and had easily managed to finalize my decision.
I had taken to finding a spot alone by one of the outdoor fountains, plugging in my headphones and listening to the song a few times by itself before adding my voice. There were some parts I'd have to cut out for sure, but it would still- hopefully- be my best song to date.
From time to time during practices, I'd text Jamie back and forth. He told me that he'd ended up choosing 'Stop Crying Your Heart Out' by Oasis- a song I adored.
It was even harder for him to deal with the coming pressure than before, now. He'd turned thirty-four just before Bootcamp began, and now he was the oldest contestant left. So he knew more than anyone how much this opportunity meant, and he needed it just as badly.
And though it may have been my heart talking over my brain for this, I ultimately believed he deserved that shot more than anyone else in his category. He had the skill, he had the talent, he had the stage presence... he was basically the perfect package that was needed in a future star.
He had it all.

Hours had passed by slowly, and each girl started starting to get called to the main room of the suite. While I wasn't yet to perform, I had begun to encounter a major problem in the last ten minutes of me practicing.
The song I'd chosen, Aerosmith's 'Fly Away From Here', had a couple higher notes near the end, and unlike I was able to do earlier in the day, I could no longer hit them. My voice would crack and shake and I couldn't do it.
I'd ended up thinking with a choked back sob, 'Oh, my god... this could be the end for me...'
And with Stacey currently performing for the Minogue sisters and Lucie on her own at the other end of the suite practicing intently, there was only one other person I could turn to.
I bit my lip and closed my eyes tightly in worry until I finally heard Jamie's voice on the other end of the phone. "Hey, you doing alright?"
"No," I replied, trying to make sure my emotions didn't fight their way up, though it already failed. "It's really bad."
"Oh, what? Elise, what's wrong?" he gently pushed.
I sniffled, wiping my nose. "It's my song," I told him.
"The one you told me that you wanted to perform for Danni?"
"Yeah," my voice hushed. "I mean, I was doing alright before, but now I can't hit those two high notes near the end... my voice cracks..." Then came the little breakdown. "I might have to change my song..."
I could hear him shush me comfortably to try calming me down. "Hey, hey, it's gonna be alright," Jamie's voice whispered soothingly in my ear. "Don't change your song, Elise. You were able to sing those last notes alright before, right?" For some reason, I wondered if he could feel me nod my head. "It's probably just the nerves getting to you again, then. You've just gotta push through it and you'll be fine. I know you're gonna do great."
My smile came back. Slowly, but it was a start. "Thanks, Jamie," I spoke.
"Of course," he replied. "Now promise me you won't change your song, alright?"
I couldn't help but let a small laugh escape. "I promise."

Smoothing out the fabric of my shirt, I ran my fingers through my hair one last time and checked my reflection in the water before finally standing up and making my way back inside. It was time for my final audition. The walk back to where Danni and Kylie were sitting was almost like I was a prisoner entering the unforgiving field of battle. One wrong move, and it was over.
"Hi again, Elise," my mentor greeted me with a soft smile, which I returned as I waved hello. "I saw you practicing quite a bit outside, you think you've got this?"
I gave her a nod. "Yeah, I've got it," I chuckled quietly.
Kylie grinned. "Don't be too nervous, sweetheart," she told me. "You'll do great."
'Funny you should say that,' I almost blushed. 'Someone else told me the same thing.'
The sound of the piano reached my ears, and I took one last deep breath, gripping the microphone tightly before holding it up to my lips.
"Gotta find a way... yeah, I can't wait another day, and nothing's gonna change... if we stay 'round here, gotta do what it takes... 'cause it's all in our hands; we all make mistakes... but it's never too late to start again, take another breath, and say another prayer... and fly away from here, anywhere, yeah I don't care... we'll just fly away from here, our hopes and dreams are out there somewhere... won't let time pass us by, we'll just fly..."
When my eyes weren't open and fixed on Danni and Kylie, they were closed, helping to pour out every ounce of emotion that I possibly could put into this last audition. Throughout the times I had kept my eyes shut, I kept thinking of Jamie, who had given me the faith to keep my confidence.
In fact, I decided to think of him throughout the next part of my song.
"Do you see a bluer sky now, you can have a better life now, open your eyes... 'cause no one here has ever stopped us; they can try, but we won't let them, no way... and maybe you and I could pack our bags and say goodbye..."
And now was the time to put in the finishing moment. Here came the high notes, so here came a louder voice.
"We'll fly away from here, anywhere, honey I don't care... we'll just fly away from here, our hopes and dreams are out there somewhere... and fly away from here, anywhere, honey I don't, I don't care...!"
My eyes snapped shut.
"Won't let time pass us by... yeah, we'll just fly..."
I let that last, final high note ring out softly until the piano died down. When I'd lowered the microphone, Danni and Kylie were staring at me with enormous grins on their faces.
"Beautiful job," Danni told me. "Thank you."
With a farewell wave, I left the room to meet up with Dermot O'Leary, who was waiting eagerly for me at the end of the hallway. "How'd you think you did?" he asked me.
I shrugged again, my smile small but still visible. "Actually, I feel... pretty good," I replied, rubbing the back of my neck. "I mean honestly, I was so nervous and gutted before this that I almost thought of changing my song, but thankfully, someone helped me out greatly and convinced me to keep going with it. And I'm very glad he did."
The show's presenter gave me a supportive pat on the back, then allowed me to walk back outside.
Now, all that was left to do until tomorrow... was wait.

"Oh, what if I don't make it? What if it is a no from her?" Lucie paced back and forth in front of Stacey and I, her dress flowing in the slight breeze. She had been called as the first of the girls to face Danni for the final yes or no.
"Luce, she's not gonna say no to you," Stacey consoled her. "You're far too good for her to let go of."
I pulled the young brunette into a hug. "She's right, y'know. I wouldn't be able to say no to you either after all your performances." Patting her back, I squeezed her shoulder. "You're gonna make it."
After she left, Nicole was called, then Brunette Stacey. When I heard my name, my heart dropped into my stomach.
"If you don't get through, I'm starting a riot," my blonde friend joked, giving me a long, tight embrace and gripping my hand before I waved to her and walked up from the beach back inside, to where Danni was sitting on the couch. I slowly eased myself down into the seat across from her, crossing my legs and doing the best I could to look her in the eye.
"Elise, I first off, wanted to thank you so much for coming to audition," she started. "You've put on some incredible, amazing performances in the short time you've been here. And yesterday, with that song and your voice combined, you owned it." I almost smiled at that. "And, from what I heard, a little bird told me that you actually considered changing it last minute," I'd groaned at that, which caused my mentor to chuckle. "But a certain someone helped to change your mind." At that, she took one of my hands. "Someone obviously pretty special, from what I believe."
My cheeks flared as I giggled softly.
DAMMIT JAMIE THIS IS YOUR FAULT.
"The only hard part about this is, I've only got three places for three people..." Danni spoke again. And that's when reality came crashing back down. "And now I'm gonna tell you my final decision."
The lingering silence came back.
"Elise..."
Just spit it out already, Danni, please...
"... You are one of my top three!"
SAY WHAT?!
Her answer took me by surprise so much that I screamed and fell off the couch, covering my mouth with my hands as I scrambled to my feet and stared at her. She had a wide, open smile on her face, her eyes shining as she screamed along with me.
"Oh my god, oh my god!" My voice was so high it sounded borderline hysterical. "You're not joking, you're- you're serious?! Are you serious?!"
She gave me a vigorous nod in response, to which I vaulted back on the couch and jumped on her in a hug, the tears falling freely down my face. "Oh my god, thank you so much oh my god...!" I shrieked as I held her tightly. Danni didn't pull out of my embrace until some time later, celebrating with me as she held my hands and allowing me to share her equally wide smile.
After I'd ran out screaming in elation and pure delight, I was still trying to overcome the massive shock that was still hitting me.
I was in the final twelve.
I was going through to the live shows of The X Factor.
But there were two questions that remained, still lingering in my head.
Who was going with me in the Girls category?
And did he make it, too...?

The answer to my first thought came as soon as I walked out to the resort lobby.
Standing next to each other, screaming, crying, and smiling ear-to-ear, were Lucie Jones and Stacey Solomon.
Once more, I screamed loud enough to break the sound barrier, and when the other two heard me, they copied me exactly, running full speed ahead until we'd crashed into each other, hugging tightly and jumping up and down, sobbing tears of joy.
"Oh my god..." Stacey hiccuped, "I can't believe it, I can't breathe...!"
Lucie held her head in her hands. "We're all still here, all three of us..."
I'd taken their hands in mine and smiled wide enough to show off my gleaming white teeth. "We're going to the live shows, girls!"
None of us cared if we got stared at. We were on too high of a pedestal to care at the moment. We were on Cloud Nine.

I couldn't wait any longer for the second answer to come to me. I had to do it myself.
As Stacey and Lucie watched me from the other end of the lobby, I took out my phone and pressed a couple buttons, but this time put it on speaker so the girls could satisfy their eavesdropping for the moment. All I could do for now was sit and wait, hoping he would pick up.
My knee bounced up and down. 'Please, please, please...'
"Hello?" My friend sounded almost breathless.
I immediately smiled at the sound of his voice. "Jamie, it's me," I almost squeaked.
There was a joyful laugh on the other end. "Oh god, Elise... did you make it? Tell me you did."
My head nodded up and down. "I did," I smiled wide, but it faded right when I asked. "Did... did you...?"
A long pause.
"Let's just say that I'll be seeing you in the live finals, my dear. I made it through."
Stacey was there in time to hold the phone away from my mouth as I screamed happily again, falling to my knees and taking the phone back from my friend. "Oh Jamie, if I could hug you right now, I would. I really, really would." I gushed.
He chuckled and I could practically hear the smile in his voice. "Believe me, the feeling's mutual."

Before I hung up with him to celebrate more with Stacey and Lucie, I told him one last thing, my smile wider than ever before. "By the way, Jamie..."
"Yes, Elise?"

"...I kept my promise."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I didn't get the chance to post chapters for a while, everyone. But I've got two new ones ready to go, and the next part after these two should be up by tonight!
Also, Jamie Archer officially follows me on Twitter. So of you'll excuse me, I'm gonna be fangirling for about the next month.

Jamie - Stop Crying Your Heart Out: Oasis
Elise - Fly Away From Here: Aerosmith