Insanity

Chapter Six

By the time Sunday rolled around, I was only fixated on the true focus of tonight- nothing really mattered to me except for the real deal. I cared more about the results of who was staying and who was going rather than special guest performances.
I wasn't a fan of Alexandria Burke; last year's X Factor winner, and I'd already met Robbie Williams when performing a practice version of 'Crossing The Frame' for him. Needless to say, I spent most of my time in the green room fiddling with my jacket.
Though, there was a part of me that wondered how many people were on my side; how many liked me enough to vote me to stay another week. I kinda figured that my song was a risk, and being a rocker pretty much heightened that risk. It was like Simon basically told me yesterday- normally, people with a background and/or interest in the rock music genre don't win singing competitions because of the popularity factor coming into play as well. Even so, I prided myself in what I was and what I wanted to become.
I'd beat those odds.

"Elise?" Stacey's voiced tore me from my thoughts as she squeezed my hand. "Come on, it's almost time to go on to hear the results."
From her other side, Lucie was nervously trying not to bite her nails. I understood what she was going through. Despite being only the first elimination of many more to come, it was still antagonizing.
The boys were introduced first, Rikki on the right, Lloyd in the middle, and Joe on the left. They all trudged down the stairs and mustered a wave to the crowd.
The door in front of us opened, signaling that we were next to take the long walk down. I held my head up high on the left, Stacey kept focused ahead in the middle, and Lucie managed to do the same on the right end.
When the door opened for the next group- which just so happened to be the Over 25's- Olly and Danyl were flanked on either side of my dearest friend Jamie, who once again, had a nearly matching jacket as me. Always a crowd pleaser, he gave everyone a wave, but caught my eye and gave me an invisible one- for the sake of keeping our friendship a secret onscreen.
Everyone had been called onstage and stood with their respective categories, Dermot held an envelope in his hand with the name of the ten acts that were definitely moving on to the next live show. The other two would have to sing again in the Final Showdown, and then, one of those two would end up leaving the competition.
The show's host pulled open the envelope and started with the "naming" ceremony".
"...John and Edward!"
I scowled a little as the two twin boys celebrated. Part of me wished they got eliminated first...
"...Lucie!"
My brunette friend nearly broke down crying happy tears as Stacey and I hugged her, whisper-cheering in her ear.
"...Lloyd!"
Very sure it was the pretty-boy factor that saved him, I thought while biting my lip.
"...Jamie!"
FUCK YES!
I clapped as enthusiastically as I was able to get away with, watching as both Olly and Danyl hugged him and patted him on the back. My friend pumped a fist in the air as he walked off, pointing to me when he was safely out of sight.
"...Miss Frank!"
The first of the two all-girl groups jumped up and down while shrieking, hugging each other as they walked off.
"...Stacey!"
I was the first one to react, hugging her close and gushing to her about how happy I was for her. She returned my embrace after the shock wore off, then walked offstage with a grin.
"...Danyl!"
The second of the Over 25's cheered to himself, thanking the audience with a wave before walking off.
Already more than half the acts had been called now. There were only three spots left. During the pause of announcing the next safe act, I'd walked over by Olly and linked my arm with his, waiting to hear who was going to be called next.
"...Elise!"
Covering my mouth with my hands, Olly smiled at me and put an arm around my shoulders, shaking me playfully. I was safe! Me! I was going through to the next week!
I'd kept my composure onstage as much as possible, waving to the crowd with a big smile as I walked off. But as soon as I was backstage, Stacey and Lucie greeted me by holding my hands and jumping up and down. All three of us were still in the competition for another week.
"Elise!"
My name was called again, but this time by the only other person I wanted to celebrate with right now. Jamie was standing some feet away from me with his arms wide open. I couldn't say no to that- I wasted no time in running towards him and and jumping into his arms, allowing him to spin me around in a tight embrace. He was still here. I was still here.
Joe and Olly joined us all after a few minutes, which meant that Rikki and Kandy Rain were in the bottom two. Unfortunately, the girl group had sadly been eliminated by the end of the night.
One week down, nine more to go.

Even a day later, the surprise from last night's results was still hitting me. This dream of mine was getting closer, even though it would take a while. It'd be worth it.
Stacey, Lucie, and I had taken the liberty of having a tiny portion of the day off, spending it by just relaxing in one of the bigger rooms upstairs and trying to think of what our next theme would be. It wouldn't really matter too much to me in a way; Danni would pick a song for us that would help us perform to the best of our abilities and shine in the spotlight.
"I just hope I don't have to stray too much from my comfort zone," I spilled to my friends. "Don't wanna be performing hip-hop anytime soon."
Lucie giggled. "Probably not gonna happen in the long run," she replied. "It's also about what's good for your voice, not just the theme for the week."
"She's right," Stacey added. "You've got a range more fit for rock-ish songs, anyway. And even if she did give you something like a pop song or whatever, she'd make sure it worked overall."
Now that I gave it more thought, I was pretty sure that they were right. Hopefully I wouldn't have to dwell on that possibility.
When a now all-too familiar buzz sounded from my pocket, the two younger girls giggled. "I bet I know who that is," the blonde whispered in a sing-song voice, to which I rolled my eyes. Even so, I didn't hesitate taking my phone out and checking to see.
"Going for a walk, care to join me? Jx"
"What's it say, what's it say?" Lucie bounded over to my bed and peered over my shoulder to see the text. "Ohhh, is that from Jamie?" she cooed in my ear, giggling and causing me to push her over playfully.
"Shut up, Luce," I grumbled with a smile. "Stacey's already giving me a hard time as it is. But yes, it's Jamie."
My brunette friend slipped the phone out of my hands and read the message over, a grin forming on her face. "You should go with him! Wherever he goes to, anyway," she squeaked. "You two are so cute!"
I rolled my eyes, taking the device back. "Last time I checked, I'm twenty-four, he's thirty-four," I reminded her. "Ten year age difference. See the problem here?"
The blonde on the other side of the room finally joined us where we were sitting, glancing at the lit-up screen on my phone. "Actually, I agree with Lucie. You should get out of the house for a while; go spend some time with him," she told me.
My head whirled around to face her and I gave her a look. "Are you sure?" I questioned. "You guys aren't doing this to tease me?"
"Why would we?" Stacey replied.
At that, a smile formed on my face as I sent a reply back to him- "Sure, but might be a while. Catch up with you then?" It was technically the truth, since I was still somewhat in pajamas and had to get ready to go outside.
Not two minutes later, I got another message.
"Course. Meet me at Prufrock later for coffee? Jx"
"Oh my god!" Lucie shrieked in delight, once more snatching away my phone. "He wants to take you out for coffee!"
"Okay, so why are you freaking out about it?" I asked, once more gingerly taking my phone back from her. "It's just coffee."
Stacey gave me a look with her eyes, putting an arm around my shoulders. "Yes, Elise, but normally when someone wants to take you out for coffee, it's kind of like a date," she grinned.
At that, Lucie gasped like a child in a candy store. "Elise is going on a date with Jamie!"
SAY WHAT NOW.

I'd managed to dig out a checkered button-up shirt with some leggings and a scarf, and slid out the door as soon as I'd slipped on my boots. It was somewhat chilly outside, but it was still nice- fresh air and a crisp breeze.
Prufrock wasn't too far of a walk from the house; just a few blocks down the road. The pleasant little chiming sound the door made when it opened caused a couple of people to look up, but they immediately went back to what they were doing before.
It didn't take me too long to spot Jamie, who was seated at a small table for two near the far window. Besides, I'd recognize that afro anywhere. I made it about halfway to where he was before he spotted me, standing up to meet me and pulling me into a hug.
"That didn't take too long," he joked, laughing when I playfully shoved his shoulder. "So what did you wanna get?"
My hand went to my shirt pocket, only to remember that I screwed up.
In the anticipation of getting ready to meet my friend, I'd forgotten my wallet. Again.
He must've noticed the pout on my face, for he smiled and poked my nose. "You can get what you want, Elise. I'll pay."
There was really no point in arguing with him. He'd done this already in the past, and it wasn't a big deal before, so I let it slide. I eventually decided on a simple Vanilla Hazelnut Mocha with a little bit of extra cream, and after Jamie paid, we walked out the door.
For a while, the two of us walked in comfortable silence, coffee in hand as the light wind swept around us and attempted to mess up my hair. About halfway back, my friend decided to open his mouth and start a conversation.
"Was it scary?" he asked me after a few seconds of silence.
I looked up at him from the corner of my eye as I sipped my cup. "Hmm?"
"Being the first one to perform on Saturday," he refreshed my memory. "Were you scared at all?"
Not to say that his question took me by surprise, but I was a little shocked at how...almost concerned he sounded. And to be honest, I never really gave it too much thought until now. The songs everyone else performed were either by very well-known artists, or by pop musicians. Even Jamie's song- although it was technically rock, it was by a popular artist. But when it came to me, I'd chosen a song by a rock band that not very many people have heard too much of. In a way, it was a risk; performing songs I liked while staying true to my rocker roots and image. It was all down to two factors- whether or not I could keep it up, and whether or not it was on a decent level for the public to like me enough.
Still, I gave him a small smile. "Not necessarily scared," I explained. "Nervous, definitely. But scared? Not really." I licked my lips as I took another drink. "The tension really got to me, though. The only thing that really scared me, per say, was whether or not I'd be voted through to the next show."
At that, I felt a hand slip into mine and looked up to see my friend smiling sympathetically down at me. "You're not the only one who felt that way," he spoke softly. "I shared that same feeling."
"But you had no reason to be," I told him, somewhat confused. "I knew you would make it through. Why were you scared?"
We'd reached the doorstep and he stopped walking at that moment, not once letting go of my hand. After letting out a sigh, he turned to look me in the eye and finally spoke up, "That wasn't the real reason," he pursed his lips together before finishing, "I was scared about you not making it through."
My eyes visibly widened at that, while my mind screamed, 'Wh...wh-what?'
I heard a soft chuckle, Jamie letting go of my hand only to wrap his free arm around my back and pull me close, pressing a tender kiss to my forehead before heading inside.

I didn't follow him in until five minutes had passed. By that time, my coffee had gotten cold.
Only one thought managed to surface when I finally did so, walking in and shutting the door.

Does... does Jamie... like me?
♠ ♠ ♠
No songs this week, just a cute little moment with our main two. But next chapter will be even better than before!