Insanity

Chapter Eight

"You have to tell us everything!" Lucie shrieked at me when my eyes finally opened.
What a lovely way to wake up in the morning.
I sort of figured that she and Stacey would be chewing my ear off, since they apparently caught Jamie and I hugging when we were touching foreheads. Safe to say, they began assuming way too much.
"We were just hugging, guys," I almost groaned. "Nothing more, or nothing else like you were thinking."
Stacey plopped next to me on the bed. "At least tell us if anything minor happened," she was almost jumping as she rocked back and forth.
Rolling my eyes, a smile managed to come to my face. "If you want to humor yourselves, you can go ahead and look at the last text on my phone."
Immediately, my two friends bounded over to my nightstand and fought over the device on my desk. When they managed to turn it on and go to my messages, they paused, then screamed about five seconds later.
"Please tell me this isn't a joke!" Lucie sounded absolutely elated. "He likes you? He likes you?!"
All I could do was nod, my annoyed smile replaced by a sheepish grin.
My blonde friend brought me into a hug. "That is the cutest thing ever! You two need to get together, like, right now. No joke, you guys are seriously adorable."
"Well, I hate to burst your bubble, Stace," I started, "But neither of us want to move too fast with anything. We're taking it slow for now."
OH BULL-FREAKIN'-HORSESHIT WE ARE.
Though I knew and agreed with Jamie that it was a good idea to do that, there was still a little part of me that asked why it had to be like that for now.
Why did I have to wait?

For a while, all I did to pass the time was sit in my room, pacing the floor in anticipation for what was to come later tonight. Did I do good enough on my song yesterday for the public to vote for me to stay another week? Or was I going to be eliminated before I even got to showcase what I never got to do?
A knock at my door caused me to snap up slightly as I scurried to my door, pulling it open to find no one there, though after looking down, there was a piece of paper folded neatly into a little note. My name was written on the front in very recognizable handwriting. I picked it up off the floor and opened it to see a little message written in that same handwriting.
"Wanna play a game? Come find me.
Go to the Over 25s' room. Olly should have your next note. Jx"

I smiled to myself. This might actually be kind of fun.
The room where the mentioned category was staying in was on the third floor of the house, whereas Stacey, Lucie and I were on the one below. Making my way up the stairs, I only had to walk through a couple hallways until I found the room I was looking for. Olly was seated on a chair at the computer desk near the window, and turned around once he heard me come through the doorway.
"I believe this belongs to you," he almost chuckled, handing me another little slip of folded paper. Once more, there was my name on the front in that same handwriting. I opened it to read what was inside.
"Head downstairs to the kitchen. You'll find the next one somewhere. Jx"
I chuckled to myself. Way to generalize, Jamie.
I tucked the second note in the pocket of my sweater, trudging down the stairs to the main level of the house and entering the kitchen. Normally, I'd expect to find the third note just taped somewhere in the open, but my eyes couldn't find anything. Looks like I'd have to do some searching for this one.
I checked on the table, on and under the chairs, I even looked in the silverware drawers and in the microwave. When I found nothing there, I opened the refrigerator. It was a tucked a little ways behind some water bottles and cans of soda on the top shelf, but my gaze caught another note with my name on it taped to a tall bottle of strawberry tea- a bottle very similar to the one Jamie bought for me the first day we met at auditions. I pulled it out and took a sip of the sweet drink, smiling as I unfolded the note.
"Make your way over to the piano room next. This clue should be a little easier to find. Jx"
Of course, I did as the note told me to, slipping it in my pocket before I put my tea back in the fridge. I had to go through the living room and down a short hallway before pushing open a door on the right side, where I found Joe sitting by the window, while John and Edward were seated at the piano.
"What're you doing?" the twins asked me at the same time, staring at me.
I shrugged. "Looking for Jamie," I responded nonchalantly.
One of the boys- I think it was Edward- put a finger to his mouth. "Y'know, I think I saw him out-"
The other one- was this one John?- cut him off. "No, no, he was somewhere in-"
By this time, Joe had made his way over and shushed the twins, slipping the all-too familiar folded piece of paper in between my fingers. "Can't tell you where he is, but he wanted me to give this to you," he grinned, his eyes twinkling.
Giving him a nod as thanks, I walked back over by the door and opened it.
"Two more to go. Go outside to the back yard. You're almost there. Jx"
Did I dare to take the long way out through the front door instead, just to make it more interesting?
Eventually, I decided to go along with the thought in my brain, stepping outside through the main entrance/exit to the house and almost skipping around to the back, glancing around every now and then at what I saw. Was it on the fence? The birdbath? The large tree-
Sure enough, there it was, waiting for me on a branch- the final note, dangling from a string which was taped to the back.
...He was gonna make me work for this one, wasn't he?
I tried jumping up as high as I could without a step-stool or anything to assist me, but to no avail. That elusive piece of paper wasn't coming off of that branch without a fight. So with a deep inhale, I hopped up the side of the tree, climbing the trunk until I reached a low enough branch, then another one slightly higher up. I did this a couple more times, going up a few more feet until I was able to snag my prize and jumped back down onto the grass below me. I unfolded it to see what was written there.
"Last one. You might yell at me for this, but you'll need to go back up to your room again. Don't worry, though. It'll be worth it. Jx"
Since this was the final clue, he was obviously up in my room waiting for me. Sure, it was a little weird that he made me go through all this note-finding so he could do... well, whatever it was he planned, but still.
I went in through the back door this time, slowly walking back up the stairs to my room, only to find the door had been shut. I'd left it open even when I left, so either Stacey and Lucie were doing something and had closed it for privacy, or this was part of my other friend's little 'game'. But I went along with it anyway, turning the knob and pushing the door open.
After stepping inside, I was met with a sight that made a smile come across my face. Standing by my bed near the window, his smile matching mine, was Jamie.
I eagerly walked over to him, meeting him halfway in an embrace. "You didn't have to go through all of this trouble, y'know," I told him softly. "You could've just done it the simple way."
"But where's the fun in that?" he chuckled, pulling his arms away and putting his hands behind his back. "Besides, I had to make it special."
"For what reason?" I pushed gently, staring at him playfully.
His smile became just the tiniest bit wider. "For this," he replied simply, bringing his arms back into view. There, delicately resting in his hands, was a gorgeous golden-yellow sunflower. Not too big, not too small. It was just the right size.
My jaw dropped open and I mentally squeaked at what I saw. "Jamie, you're a sweetheart," I sighed in an affectionate manner, taking the flower he held out to me. "But whatever happened to 'not moving too fast'?" It sounded more sarcastically playful than suspicious.
The smile never once left his face. "Just because we're taking it slow doesn't mean we still can't go on dates, Elise," he replied matter-of-factly, giving me the same stare I gave him not even a minute ago. "We're just waiting for the right time to make it official." At that, he took the sunflower out of my hands, only to place it behind my ear as he brushed a strand of hair out of my face. "So... maybe breakfast at Towpath tomorrow? My treat," he gave me a cheeky grin.
I mentally screamed at myself to do more than just stand there like a deer in headlights, but all I could manage was a little smile and nod. I was going on a date with Jamie tomorrow morning. Not a little coffee run like last time, but a legitimate, actual date. "O-O...Okay," I stuttered softly, my fingers delicately touching the petals of my flower as I stared at the floor.
In response to my rather girly shyness, Jamie wrapped his arms around my waist and tenderly placed his lips on my forehead. I eventually returned his hug after regaining a sense of reality, resting my head on his shoulder and smiling once more.
We stayed like that until it was time to leave for the arena.
That, and Stacey and Lucie caught us again.

"You ready, girls?" Danni asked us, squeezing our hands as she held them. We all nodded simultaneously. I smoothed out the ruffles of my dress, taking a few deep breaths until it was time to go onstage. And of course, I'd left the sunflower in my hair.
The boys came out first with Cheryl, then our door opened. Lucie held my left hand while our mentor held my right, all of us trudging down the steps. When Jamie and the other Over 25's came down, I had to stifle a giggle at the fact that the sash on his pants flowed behind him almost like a tail. In an odd way, it was kind of cute.
Unlike last week, I was unable to look up at the audience or at anyone else. I just stared at my feet, wiggling my toes in my little black boots. I also failed to notice that Dermot had opened the envelope and, one by one, began reading off the names of the acts that were guaranteed safe.
"...Olly!"
From being one of the last ones called the previous week to being the first one called this time, I smiled as I heard him cheer- quite loudly, might I add.
"...Miss Frank!"
The three girls were almost in disbelief, hugging each other tightly as they continued to freak out to themselves.
"...Joe!"
The kid got the biggest grin on his face, and I smiled in response to his reaction. He was absolutely adorable.
"...Elise!"
I'd done it? Already, my name was called already?
The shock continued to hit me as my jaw dropped slightly, my friends and my mentor hugging me and congratulating me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jamie clapping, which caused me to smile a little more. I eventually managed to shoo myself offstage and wait for the remaining acts.
"...Lucie!"
My young brunette friend buried her face in her hands for a brief moment, hugging Danni and Stacey before joining me in the right wing. I ended up pulling her into an embrace of my own, despite already doing so not thirty seconds ago. Now, all that was left to do was wait for Stacey's name to be called.
HEY. YOU FORGOT JAMIE, DUMBASS.
"...Jamie!"
YOU'RE WELCOME.
Speak of the devil. As soon as he heard his name, my friend cheered loudly- even louder than Olly- and repeatedly punched the air, causing Simon to smile and laugh. Honestly, I did too. That had to be the greatest reaction so far, and it was only the second week. I watched him head offstage on the opposite side- I'd find him later.
"...Stacey!"
How fitting. Right after Jamie was my blonde best friend. She broke out in an ear-to-ear smile, letting out a little squeak of joy as she hugged Danni. Once again, all the girls were safe.
That stupid pretty-boy Lloyd and the twins were the final acts to be called, which meant that Rikki and Danyl were on the bottom tonight, and when it was over, the younger of the two was gone. Thankfully, however, my friends and I had nothing to worry about ourselves.
I had to sneak away from Stacey and Lucie so I could find my other favorite person without them noticing or bugging me. When I turned the corner, I bumped into a figure that proceeded to hug me tightly. Automatically, I could tell who it was by the afro that tickled my cheek.
"Hello, beautiful," Jamie whispered in my ear.
I chuckled softly. That flirt. "Hello, handsome."
He laughed quietly and I felt his smile against my skin. "Looks like you're stuck with me for another week, huh?"
"Not by choice," I retorted playfully. In response, his fingers brushed against my sides as he began to tickle me. "No, Jamie, stop it!" I giggled, biting my lip to avoid squeaking so the girls couldn't find me. He laughed softly under his breath, finally stopping his antics and quickly kissing my cheek.
I couldn't have been more thankful that the X Factor fans were still on my side for the week. I was here, safe and ready to perform once again.
Plus, I didn't mind being stuck with Jamie for another week at all. It was more of a privilege than anything.
And a definitely well-earned privilege, at that.

There wasn't really a point in going out and buying a vase for my sunflower, so I just substituted a tall glass for one instead, filling it with a little bit of water and some plant food before setting it on my nightstand.
My phone buzzed.
"Forgot to ask you what time for breakfast... does 8:30 sound alright? Jx"
I smiled to myself. He really was a sweetheart.
"That sounds perfect. See you in the morning. :)"
The smile stayed on my face throughout the rest of the night, even long after I'd finally fallen asleep.
My mouth would probably hurt when I woke up.

But it would be worth it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I cannot apologize enough for how late this is, you guys. Normally I'd have these chapters out in a day or two, but with college starting back up, it might take longer than normal to update. It irritates me too, don't get me wrong. So I'm gonna try doing the best I can to put chapters up as much as possible with everything that's going on.
Once again, no songs for this chapter, but the next one will have them.