It Was You

Teddy and Lily Luna

Teddy sulked on the beach, the music from the wedding floating towards him. He didn't even know why he had come. He knew he was just torturing himself, but seeing Victoire in that beautiful white dress was just too good an oppurtunity to pass up. Now he was regretting it. He knew he should be happy for her- for them- but he just couldn't. All he could imagine was going up there and snapping that guy's neck.

"Hey," said a quiet voice. He looked up to see Lily Potter standing in front of him. He was surprised how grown up she was. He always remembered her being a hyper little kid with frizzy red hair and freckles all across her pudgy face. Now, she had thinned out, tamed her hair, and gotten curves. "Did it get too much for you?" she asked.

As always, she was too intuitive for her own good. Instead of answering, he said, "You should go back and have fun. I'm sure they'll be missing you."

She sat next to him on the big rock and looked at him. "Then let them miss me." Again, her actions surprised him. She asked, "Why did you come?"

"I don't really know. I guess I just wanted to see her, make sure she was happy," he said, shrugging.

"Shouldn't you be happy then? If you really love her, then her happiness should make you happy," she said, cocking her head to the side.

"I should be, doesn't mean I am." He shook his head and stood up. "I can't describe it, especially not to you." He started to walk away.

Lily followed, much to his annoyance. "why especially not me?" she asked.

Her twenty questions were beginning to wear on his patience. He let his anger get the best of him and he rounded on her. "Because I can't expect a happy little girl like you to understand! Why would a girl who has her every want and need handed to her on a silver platter, who's never had to feel heartbreak the way I have, to understand what I'm feeling?! Even if I explain it to you, all you'll do is tell me you're sorry and that everything will be okay."

"No, I won't because I know things won't be okay for you. At least, not for a while," she said, still in an even voice, though her eyes betrayed her anger. "Look, I do actually know how you feel. You're angry at her, her new husband, yourself for letting her go. Every time you're reminded that she chose him over you, you get angrier and sadder. Seeing them together is like being stabbed over and over in the heart. I've been in your position and trust me when I say that holding onto those feeling won't help you. You need to let go of her and get on with your life," she said, stepping closer to him slowly with every sentence.

She only came to his chest but still managed to make him feel small and ashamed of yelling. "I can't let go of her," he said in a small voice.

"You haven't tried," she said. The music changed to a slow number and the notes floated down and around them. Lily smiled. "Care to dance, Mr. Lupin?" she asked.

He looked at her and a reluctant grin creeped its way on his face. He put his hands on her waist and she put hers on his shoulders. They swayed in a circle and Teddy found it hard to look away from her brown eyes. He asked, "When did you grow up so much?"

She shrugged. "When I went through the same thing as you. I fancied someone but he was already in love with another girl," she said sadly. "Heartbreak can make you grow up faster than you want to."

"Who was it? What happened?" he asked, turning the questions to her.

"You don't want to know," she said.

"Yeah, I do."

"No, you really don't."

"Yeah, I really do. I'll hex him into the next century."

She shook her head. "All right but don't say I didn't warn you." She took a deep breath and suddenly kissed him lightly. He responded with some surprise and felt his heart drop when she pulled away and whispered three words in his ear. "It was you."