Status: trying not to take too long to upload chapters

If Life Would Always Go As Planned, Wouldn't It Be Boring?

Chapter 7- The Outlines of a Black Parade

Chapter 7: The Outlines of a Black Parade

*Lindsay P.O.V.*

I walk into the tattoo parlor with slightly shaking legs- I'm not afraid, I'm really excited! I can't wait to see my vision come true, I can't wait to see my skin turn into art, I can't wait to have my scarred skin vanish under ink. Frank's sitting at his desk, sketching as usual. He looks up when he hears the door open and cracks a smile at me and Gee. Dude he's so adorable. He's the perfect counterpart for Gerard.

"Hi", Frank says, "And, you ready? Excited?" I nod eagerly and hear Gerard chuckle behind me.

"Yeah, I'm damn ready!" I exclaim with more confidence than I feel. To be honest, I'm actually kinda scared as well. I know how it felt to be pierced and I'm not a wimp when it comes to pain, but a tattoo is on a whole different scale.

"No need to be afraid, Lindsay", Frank suddenly says and I look at him, surprised. "Everybody feels the same on the first time..." He explains and grins crookedly. I feel Gerard's hand squeeze mine in a comforting manner; it feels good and I calms me down. Frank sees it as well and judging by the disappointed look on his handsome face, he jumped to the wrong conclusion. Typical. People do that all the time. I let go of Gee’s hand and shake my head. I get a confused look from both Frank and Gee and I have to grin.

"Um so I just have to quickly prepare some more things, but it won't take long", Frank says and scratches his head. "Erm just sit down where you want." He's halfway through the door to the tattooing room, when he turns around and looks at me directly.

"Did you eat and drink enough today?"

"Yeah. Gee made pancakes for a breakfast-lunch thingy", I answer and smile. "And I had like three cups of tea."

"She eats tons..." Gerard mumbles loud enough for Frank to hear. I elbow Gee into the ribs, causing an "Ouch!" from my victim and a broad grin from Frank.

"If you wanna drink or eat something before we get started, just tell me in like the next few minutes."

"Sure thing. I definitely won't eat Gerard...just doesn't appear tasty..." I muse and ignore Gerard's glare.

"I'm a unique delicacy..." He mutters and crosses his arms across his chest in a grumpy manner. I look at Frank and his eyes scream: "OMFG THAT'S FUCKING ADORABLE!" Yeah, Gee is adorable. I smirk and head to the sofa. Gerard follows me and Frank quickly vanishes into the back room. I sit down and pull Gee down next to me, resting my head against his shoulder.

"You know what, you should dye your hair red", I say.

"Huh? How come?" He asks and looks down to me with a puzzled look on his face. I shrug.

"Dunno...I just had to think of this hot girl in my art class. And I think it would really suit you...black hair is b-o-r-i-n-g."

"Sorry to bore you madam..." Gee replies sarcastically and rummages through his bag to find a pencil. He finds one and pulls his sketchbook out, opening it pretty far towards the end. A blank page stares at us, just waiting to be filled. Gee taps his pencil against the book, creating a calming rhythm. Then he starts to draw. The pencil ghosts over the paper, leaving a trail of soft grey lines that unite to form the contours of a face. It's incredibly relaxing watching Gee draw, creating amazing comics out of his imagination or transforming real life people into comic heroes. There's something strikingly familiar about this face without eyes and mouth: bleached sidecuts, a long, black Mohawk falling into the face, a straight nose and a nose ring. Frank. I look up into Gee's concentrated face and smile. So Gee does dig Frank...now they only have to start dating...hmm...easier said than done.

"So everything's ready", Frank calls from the other room. My make-shift pillow startles and slams the sketchbook closed. I slip off Gee's shoulder and onto his lap. Well, it's still comfortable, but the way down wasn't and apparently Gee's hurt as well.

"Argh fuck Lindsay! Get off me!" He whines and shoves at me with pretense effort. I lift my head just when Frank reenters the room and sees us yet again in a suggestive position. He raises one eyebrow and I see Gee blush slightly. I bounce up, the excitement rushing through me again. Gee sighs and stands up too.

"Ready!" I exclaim and smile broadly. Frank grins back.

"So we're gonna so the same thing as last time with me applying this inked paper with the outlines so I know what to tattoo and don't go fucking up your whole arm. So follow me." I follow Frank into the tattooing room with the comfy looking stretcher-thing to lie/sit on. "Sit down and take off your jacket", Frank says and I do so. However, I'm wearing a t-shirt and so Frank asks me take it off as well. Finally undressed to pants and bra, Frank picks up the large paper with the black parade outlines on it (while wearing these weird lab gloves) and holds it in front of my left arm to position it properly before placing it onto my skin. His warm hands run all over my arm to make sure the ink sticks to my skin where needed. He does it carefully and precisely and when he's finished, he cautiously pulls off the paper. I watch with fascination how the dark lines of my black parade appear where the paper's pulled away.

"Wow..." I say after all the paper is off and only the ink is left.

"Tattooed it looks way better..." Frank says and smiles.

Ten minutes later, the ink’s completely dry and I’m sitting on the stretcher, leaning against the backrest without a shirt and my jacket zipped halfway closed and one arm out, so I won’t get cold while Frank won’t have to struggle with a t-shirt sleeve. While Frank is making last minute preparations and makes sure the tattoo machine is functioning properly, I look around the room, admiring a Misfits, a Black Flag poster and some horror movie posters including “Dracula”.

“Awesome music taste…” I say and nod.

“Oh thanks. They mean a lot to me…” Frank responds and I smile.
“Yeah…bands do this to people…”

“You sound like you can relate a lot.” I nod.

“Yeah. Music saved my life. Helped me tons…don’t even get me started on Avenged Sevenfold, Billy Talent and Anti-Flag…” Frank laughs and Gee sighs.

“Gotta hear her fangirl…once she starts it’s hard to get her to stop…I’d go as far as saying it’s impossible.”

“Stop being a Mr. Meanie-Pants… and you’re one to talk you Smashing Pumpkins freak…” I retort and smile satisfied when I see his complacent expression slip. Frank laughs again.

“Uhh looks like she got you there, man.” I can’t help but stick my pierced tongue out at Gee. He mutters something incomprehensible and gets out his sketchbook, the pencil still in between the sides. He takes the pencil and quickly flicks to a new, empty page.

“Um so everything’s ready Lindsay…we could start now”, Frank informs me and I feel my heart beating hard in my chest and a lump form in my throat.

“Yeah sure I’m ready”, I answer and swallow hard. Frank sees how nervous I am and smiles reassuringly at me.

“I’m not gonna say it’s not gonna hurt, it will, but the pain can be described as a burning sensation…like something hot against your skin.” I try to smile, but it ends up crooked and causes Gee to splutter.

“What about you Gee, not interested in a tattoo?” I ask, wanting revenge and knowing exactly that he’s gonna be embarrassed to say that he’s fucking scared of needles. However, he disappoints me: with cool composure he looks at me and says:

“I actually would want a tat, but I’m really scared of needles, so I’m gonna have tattoo all my ideas onto your skin so I can see and be happy about how awesome it looks.” Then he resumes sketching again.

“Hm that’s a shame…I bet tattoos would look really good on you…” Frank says. Gee looks at him surprised and Frank looks back, the same surprised expression on his face. My guess is he had said out loud what he had thought. The staring lasts until I cough loudly. Gerard looks down quickly and Frank looks aside to the mini pot filled with black ink he prepared.

“Um before we start, would you mind if I put on some music? It helps me concentrate…” Frank asks and has a slightly pleading look on his face.

“Yeah, sure put on some music. I don’t mind and Gee doesn’t mind as well.”

“Thanks for answering for me…But she’s right, I don’t mind if it’s some good music”, Gee remarks and rolls his eyes. Frank beams at us.

“Thanks guys. So could you just open iTunes and just click on Misfits and press shuffle?” Frank asks Gee, who nods, gets up and bends over the black laptop. With a few clicks, the music is on and the party can start. Frank takes the tattoo machine in his hand and presses down the pedal under his foot. The machine comes to life, buzzing softly. Frank dips the needle into the ink and puts his hand on my upper arm. I close my eyes and lean back, heart pounding in my chest.

I don’t know how much time has passed when Frank puts the tattoo machine away and stretches. I was so fascinated by the needle leaving a black and bloody trace on my skin that the pain wasn’t so present anymore (I mean sure it still hurt, but fuck it) and time flew by as I watched Frank create the, for me confusing, outlines of the Black Parade.

“Um, are we finished for today?” I ask, looking doubtfully at my lower arm, which doesn’t have any ink yet. Frank looks at me shakes his head.

“Nah, I’m just making a short break. We’ve been at it for like one and a half hours, man.” My eyes widen.
“That long?! Wow time flew by…” Frank laughed.

“Well that’s good…at least you weren’t counting the seconds until the pain would stop.” I laugh and shake my head.

“God no! It’s so fascinating watching you tattoo!” I look over at Gee, who’s looking at us, sketchbook closed in his lap. “Whatchya think, Gee?”

“Coming along really nicely.”

“What did you draw in the mean time?” I ask in anticipation of yet being presented with another amazing cartoon. Gerard scratches the back of his head.

“Um, actually nothing…it was so amazing watching you…” he says and looks at Frank, who’s getting all uncomfortable with all the praise.

“Thanks…so do you guys want something to drink? I’ve got tons of ice tea…” Frank asks and cracks his knuckles after having taken off and disposed of the gloves. I nod eagerly.

“Yeah that’d be great!” I say and my best friend nods as well.

“Okay, it’s peach flavor by the way.”

“I don’t care.” Gerard and I answer in unison and we three start to laugh. Frank kneels down in front of a mini fridge, opens it and takes out three cans of ice tea. He gets up and hands the first one to Gee, who’s sitting closest to him and of course says “Thanks”, and then walks over to hand me the second can after opening it for me.

“Not because I think you’re weak, it’s just not comfortable using the arm now”, he explains and I smile.

“Thanks.” Each of us take a big gulp out of the can and we’re in a content silence for a few moments. Then a question pops into my mind. “So how long’s the second part gonna take?” Frank shrugs.

“I guess the same amount of time.”

“Maybe I’ve got some time to draw something now…” Gerard says and looks at his sketchbook.

“What do you actually draw?” Frank suddenly asks.

“Um I draw comics…or at least I try to”, Gee answers. Frank looks puzzled.

“You try?”

“Well, I’m a bit behind with my comic and my editor and my boss are starting to get impatient- it seriously sucks.”

“Oh it’s not just a hobby, but your job.”

“Yep.” Gerard nods.

“Dude that’s really cool…a hobby job.” Gee laughs.

“Same goes for you Frank”, he retorts.

“Yeah looks like it.” Frank chuckles and places his empty can on the floor and takes out a new pair of gloves. “Ready for round two Lindsay?” I put my can on the cupboard next to me and nod.

“Damn ready.”

Two hours later I’m standing in front of the Nightmare Tattoo Parlor next to Frank and Gerard, my left arm wrapped in Saran Wrap, and have a smoke. I take a deep drag and hold the smoke in my lungs before blowing it out into the chilly air- fuck autumn. My arm feels hot and stings, but other than that I feel the best I have in some time. I just got one step closer to the tattoo of my dreams and now I’m having a relaxing smoke with my best friend and a cool-as-fuck tattoo artist. In silence we finish off our cigarettes and step back inside.

“Fuck it’s getting colder every day…” I complain as a nasty shiver runs over my body.

“Yeah, sucks but seasons come and go”, Frank says and shrugs. He looks exhausted and tired- three hours working on full concentration have taken their toll on him. He walks over to his desk and leans against it.

“So, sorry to ruin the mood and speak business, but I wanted to clear up the money shit.” Frank pulls a face. I wave it off.

“Don’t sweat it. How do you wanna do it?” I ask and sit down on the couch.

“With multiple session tattoos like yours I like to split the amount up so you pay after each session, cause otherwise it’s gonna be a large amount of money you have to pay at once and I’m young too so I know how fast money is spent on “essential” stuff. Before I opened this studio I used to be fucking broke at the end of each month.” He let out a laugh.
“I can relate.”

“Me too”, Gee says and sighs.

“So how much is it gonna be for today?” I ask all business.

“Wait lemme think a moment…” Frank mutters. “So for today it’s gonna be $300. You can just pop by next week and give me the money.”

“Thanks for the offer, but I actually saved for the tattoo and so I have all of it in cash in my purse with me.” I declare and grin.

“Prepared for once…” Gee taunts again.

“Just what the hell is it with you and your taunting today? You’re being a dick!” I exclaim in a very certain this-is-meant-in-a-friendly-way way. Gee rolls his eyes. Frank watches our taunting attentively, even though his eyes are more on Gerard. I cram the crumpled notes out of my purse and hand them to Frank, who takes them and makes a receipt immediately. He hands me the receipt and says:

“Thank you very much. So for our next appointment, would the same time in six weeks suit you?” I think for a moment and then shrug.

“I’m just gonna say yes. If I’ve got a university course on this day, just fuck it.”

“That’s the spirit.” Frank crams around in the pile of paper on his desk and finally pulls out Gee’s original sketches of the Black Parade, kept safe by a plastic wallet. “Erm Gerard, I’ve got your original Black Parade here.”

“Ah yes, cool.” Gee gets up and takes the plastic wallet and carefully puts it inside his bag.

“So, I guess this is goodbye for today”; Frank states.

“Yeah. So see yeah and thanks for the awesome work!” He smiles at me and I just go and hug him. He hugs me back and when it comes to Gerard saying goodbye, it’s obvious both are considering a goodbye hug. However, in the end they go for a classical handshake and a simple “Goodbye and see ya soon.” With a last wave Gerard and me leave the shop and make our way back to the subway station.

While waiting for the subway, Gerard takes out his Black Parade sketch and looks at it. When he turns it around, I see a yellow post it stuck to the back with a number scribbled on it. I think it’s an educated guess to say that it’s Frank’s number. Gee blushes a deep red.
♠ ♠ ♠
currently listening to LeATHERMOUTH and i'm fucking diggin it!

here's the promised mega-update of over 2,800 words! (OMFG)

thanks to...

xspacenaut
MsCorrupter
motor_baby

...for writing comments that made me happy<3

and thanks for 11 subscribers<3