Status: Highly Active

A Princess? I Rather Be a Pirate. Savvy?

The Phoenix is Rising

It was black, blacker than it should have been. The moonlight was what guided them across the sea. Not a single star in the sky could help them. Their lanterns light did nothing to help their line of sight. Wave after wave crashed into the side of the ship. The crew struggled to hold the ropes of the masts. Their attempts of keeping the sails in the right direction were failing. They heaved and hoed and pulled with all their might but the wind was too strong, the night was too dark, and the water was too cold. The crew simply could not hold on. A gust of wind ripped one of the ropes out of the crew’s hands. They struggled to get the rope back. A loose rope is a dangerous rope. Their captain looked down upon them. He was never one to give up. He was no wimp. But when it began to be dangerous for his crew he knew he had to. With a sigh he rubbed the sea salted water out of his eyes and kept his eyes forward.

“Steady lads! Starboard side! Tie the ropes down an’ get below the deck!” The captain shouted as he began to turn the wheel. With every turn it became harder and harder but it had to be done.

“Capn’ ya sure?” shouted the first mate as he ran up to the helm. The captain grimly nodded.

“Aye. That be a bad storm.” He shouted as he began to help the captain turn the wheel.

“Gibbs, this here is more than a bad storm.” The captain grunted as he kept the wheel turning. As it finally got to the heading he wanted he tied the rigging up and walked off to his cabin with Gibbs in tow.

“Please tell me we not going to where I think we are going?” he asked as we reached my cabin.

“Aye. I have a feeling we need to go up river, savvy?”

******

“Connor… Connor where are you?” I whispered as I crawled through the rafters of the horse barn. It was half passed midnight and Connor was nowhere in sight. Figures he would be late when he was the one who wanted us to meet up. If my father caught me out this late meeting with a commoner there would be hell to pay.

“Stupid dress.” I muttered as it began to snag in the nails. A rustle came from below and I hit behind a bale of hay.

“Danielle. Are you here?” Connor’s voice lifted through the rafters. I sighed a sigh of relief and gracefully dropped down to the floor next to him. He jumped and I tried to suppress my laughter but it was useless and I burst into hysterics. Connor’s hand clamped over my mouth.

“Do you want to get caught? You are the Princess of England. If you are caught out here with me you know you will be sent away.” I sighed. He was right. This was risky.

“I don’t care anymore. I don’t want to be a doll on a shelf. I don’t want to be married off to the richest prince. I need my escape.” I desperately clung to Connor’s shirt. Tears springing to my eyes and were begging to overflow. He just rubbed my back in small circles, whispering terms of comfort in my ear.

“I know what I have to do.” I pulled away and made my way across the barn. I went into the closet and grabbed my bags and my secret stash of money. Being a princess had its perks.

“You aren’t serious. This isn’t like last time. Last time you had a reason to be ‘missing’.” I began to walk out of the barn with my bags with Connor in tow.

“I don’t need an excuse. I am leaving for good.” I began to pick up my pace as we reached the harbor. Connor followed behind as I took to a secluded path that led to a smaller inner harbor.

“Danielle. They will find you. You are a Princess. Do you really think that they are just going to leave it be? Be fine with you leaving. Nay. They will search far and wide for you.” He grabbed my arm and spun me around. I gasped as my bags fell to the ground.

“Connor listen to me. I don’t care. He can look for me across the seven seas. But it shan’t matter. I know these waters. I have pirate friends. He won’t win. He cannot control me anymore.” Shaking his hand off me I grabbed my bags.

“And where will you go! How will you get off this Isle?” A laugh escaped his throat. I hate to admit it but it stung. He has always been my best friend. I knew he was trying to be realistic. But he was wrong.

The wind got stronger around us sweeping my long, curly brown hair into my face. We turned to our left and watched the wind pick up the waves. And there she came. The masts came into view first. Their scarlet material rippling gracefully into the wind. The grand ship began to come into view. Connor’s mouth dropped. I made my way to a dingy that washed to shore. Throwing my stash into it I began to prepare to row out to my ship.

“How did you…” Connor began to ask. Confusion was all over his face.

“I’ve had this planned for a while. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you. I just feared with more people knowing I would be caught. At the end of last summer I left my ship in the hands of AnnaMaria. She has looked after her in exchange she would come and get me today. I’m sorry.” I looked down. I never liked lying to Connor. He was my best friend. But I couldn’t tell him about my secret to get away.

“So this is it then isn’t it?” His face fell. My heart dropped. I reached my hand out and gave his a gentle squeeze.

“It isn’t farewell. You can join me! Oh the adventures we would have. Fighting other pirates. Looting ships. Looking for buried treasure!” My imagination began to run wild. I could see us huddled together looking over maps, plotting our next destination. Running around Tortuga with our stash of buried treasure.

“I can’t. Danielle I can’t. My family is here. They need me.” My dreams were crushed. He took me into his arms and gave me a squeeze.

“Maybe someday I’ll be able to come. Just not today.” I wiped a tear from my eye. Goodbyes were always the hardest for me. But I needed to go.

“Goodbye Connor.” And with that I walked to my dingy. With one last wave I climbed in and made my way towards my true love, the Phoenix Rising.
♠ ♠ ♠
I used to write on here. A lot. But I had a lot of family/personal drama get in my way. I simply cannot get back into the swing of my old stories. So I decided to make this story. Please let me know what you think. And if people like it I will continue it!