Status: This is not going to be completed unless I get some inspiration to re-write it.

Forbes

Familiar

The first few weeks, my familiar slowly adjusted to living with me. I didn't hear any news from my grandmother nor my godmother, so I didn't really know much about this creature that is supposed to help me with my powers. I set out a bowl with water and another with cat food that I recently purchased. I bought a litter box, but it didn't seem to be used at all. In fact, I think the familiar liked to go out through the little doggy door at night. I wasn't sure though. I've never seen it happen. I didn't even know if the doggy door still worked properly. It came with the house, when I had moved in.

It started one night, when I was eating dinner at the small circular table in the kitchenette. The familiar sat on one of the chairs beside me, and he watched me as I ate. His tongue flicked out of his mouth and pressed against his nose and then re-entered the cave of sharp teeth. He was begging me for food. Were familiars even supposed to eat human food?

"Don't look at me like that..." I told him.

His eyes lit up at the attention, and he moved closer to me. He pressed his paws on the table top, as if deciding whether it would be a good idea or not, and then he pushed his weight off his back paws and brought himself up on the table.

"No. Get down." I grunted, moving my plate of food from away from the cat. "Back off, cat."

A loud, unmistakable hiss left his mouth.

---

About three months into this odd "friendship", if I could even call it that, everything was getting better. The damned familiar was slowly letting up his shield, and he was getting more comfortable around me. He hasn't hissed at me again, so he learned I'm the boss.

He had started sleeping at the foot of my bed, and it confused me. Was this a natural thing? The cat snored in his sleep, and sometimes he'd paw at the air as if he were running. I felt that I should ask someone, but I quickly decided against it. I don't really want to find out it isn't nor if it is normal.

I awoke one morning with a heavy weight on my feet. I kicked out, trying to wake the cat and tell him to get off. Yet, instead of that meow I became so familiar with, I heard a grunt. "Did you have to kick me?"

I screamed forcing the windows open and howling wind to poor into my bedroom.

---

He picked through my pantry, pulling out all the food. He ate as if he never had food before in his life. His green eyes that made me want him as a cat glistened up at me, when he noticed that I entered the kitchen. "I haven't had candy in years," he said as he tore open the bag of gummy worms I hid in the back of the cabinet.

"I hope you like it." I wasn't happy, and my tone made that clear. He looked like a kicked puppy the way he tucked into himself. He put the candy on the table, and he pushed it towards me as he apologized.

"I should have asked. I'm a little rusty with my manners. I don't really need them when I'm a cat." His lip twitched, and he looked like he might just cry. Maybe changing messed with his emotions. I've never been this close to a man whom was nearly crying at my sarcasm.

I sighed, and I reached out to him. "Why did you change?"

"I didn't mean to, really. I wasn't planning on it." He adjusted the towel on his hips. He scoffed, "In fact, I think you prefer the cat."

"I didn't know you could be human. I'm still in shock."

He laughed, "I was considered human until I was twelve. Then, my parents sold me to a group of witches. I was told I'm a shifter that helps channel a witch's magic, otherwise known as a familiar. I thought it'd be easier to be an animal. I was a dog for a while, but not all witches like dogs. They tend to prefer cats. I've been sold around from witch to witch, and none of them wanted to take care of another human. They liked the idea of having a pet."

"I like having someone to talk to. No one is really helping me out with this witch stuff. I don't really know what I'm doing."

"I can try to help you."

I smiled at him. "Well, do you have a name? I was calling you 'cat' but that won't really work any longer."

"My name is Forbes."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry.