On the Jersey Shore

1 of 1

It was almost like Jordan had thrown a dart at a map of North America in order to explain how he found himself at a rented beach house for two weeks on the Jersey Shore. In fact he just wasn’t ready to go home after the shortened NHL season was over. While he had played for the farm team during the lockout and the Oilers hadn’t had an awful season Jordan just needed time to himself making this feel like the best idea.

He had been there for a few days, each day starting off with a run along the shore, shower and breakfast before going out and doing something that the area had to offer. This morning something caught his eye, the small beach house beside him had an occupant, what could possibly go wrong with stopping to introduce himself?

Olivia had just gotten to her weekend beach rental, her maternity leave from work was almost over and she wanted to relax one last time before reality came back full force. Being a preschool teacher the new mom thought she was ready for parenthood but the fact of the matter was she still had a lot to learn. Setting up the pack-n-play on the tiny porch Olivia though she would get a few minutes to catch up on reading while ______________ slept. A few minutes in she heard someone walking up to her, putting down her book she looked up with a hint of a smile.

The site of an infant probably would have turned any other young man running away but Jordan took the last few steps forward without missing a beat. He took in the site of the blonde before him and gave her a warm smile

“Good morning” Jordan held out his hand to her “Jordan, I’ll be your neighbor for a few days”

“Olivia, and this is Bryce” she reached up to take his hand “You don’t sound like you’re from around here”

“What makes you say that?” he raised an eyebrow in question.

“Your accent, it is most definitely not Jersey or New York.”

“Probably the furthest thing from, Canadian.”

It was Olivia’s turn to raise her eyebrow, what in the world would cause him to come here of all places. She didn’t think Jersey ranked on the list of must see American cities. Jordan could see the what the fuck look in her eyes and figured he would answer the un-asked question of why.

“Just someplace I hadn’t been yet; I had heard stories from friends and decided why not.”

“Nothing to do with that horrible show I hope”

“Can’t say I have watched it, Do people really act like that?”

“I really wish the answer was no but sadly some do.” Hearing her son start waking up Olivia tilted her head “Sorry I have to go and take care of him. I hope you enjoy your vacation”

Before Jordan could answer she had picked up the infant and headed in side. That day he had decided to make the short drive to Six Flags and spend the day doing things that would probably be frowned upon by his coaches. Olivia had been on his mind off and on all day, Jordan hoped to see her again soon.

The next morning he had slept in a little and started out late. By the time he was returning Jordan saw Olivia sitting in the sand on a blanket with Bryce. Approaching slowly he crouched down in front of her.

“What are his thoughts on the sand?”

Seeing a shadow fall upon the two of them she looked up at Jordan.

“I don’t think he knows what to make of it just yet, I’ll try again next year. How was your run?”

Falling into an easy conversation the two found themselves enjoying each other’s company. They talked about everything from favorite movies and music to strange things that baffled them. Day turned in night, night into the next day and so on. Jordan had spent a few hours convince Olivia to stay longer; he still had a week left on his rental and extra room. She took a risk and let him twist her arm into staying. One day they went down to Atlantic City and spent a few hours on the boardwalk. Another afternoon in Ripley’s Believe It Or Not with Olivia and Jordan taking turns caring Bryce in a baby bjorn. For someone who didn’t know the first thing about taking care of a baby Jordan was a lot more at ease then he thought he would be. By the end of the week the two had felt like they had known each other for years.

It was the last day of the week, Jordan was just about to walk out the day when he head Bryce start to wake up for the day and Olivia was sound asleep. Hoping she wouldn’t be mad Jordan gently picked up the infant and grabbed everything to change him. Sitting on the living room floor he looked at everything hoping to get it right.

“Alright little man, want to tell me how to do thing? I’m a rookie here and out of my league”

Olivia had woken up in the process and heard Jordan talking before she could freak out. She had walked out to the two boys in time to witness Jordan getting peed on and let out a chuckle. He looked at her and frowned.

“I’m sorry, it’s not funny but it is.” She sat down next to him “it’s happened to me more times than I can count”

Jordan wouldn’t let her take over and do it herself so she settled for walking him through it. He had to leave for the airport in a few hours and she had to drive back home. Bryce was down for his nap when without thinking Jordan spit out five words that had Olivia freeze in shock.

“Come visit me in Regina”

It took Olivia a few moments to settle down her thoughts and she blurted out the first thing that came to mind.

“I don’t have a passport.”

It wasn’t yes and it wasn’t no. Something told Jordan this was something he needed to fight to keep. If he didn’t there would be a lot of regrets and a lot more what ifs.

“So we get you both one” he took a step closer to her “it will take time but it’s not impossible”

“I can’t afford something like that” she didn’t move away but kept her eyes locked on his.

“My treat” He wasn’t going to take no for an answer and was determined to find a way to wear her down before he left. “I’ll even take you to request a passport right now and rush it”

“No I can’t let you do that and I have to be back to work soon.” As much as she wanted to see him again and say yes Olivia didn’t see a way it was possible. “Maybe we can come see you when you come out to play.”

There wasn’t a schedule yet for the new season and he had no idea when that would be. A chance of it being a weekend game was slim. The devils where in a different conference, only one game would be played out here.

“Please Olivia…” he could see in her eyes that she was running out of reasons why. She wanted to say yes but was stubborn. “..Say yes and take a leap. I promise you won’t regret it” Jordan leaned in and pressed a soft, simple kiss to her lips. That was all it took to almost fully break her resolve

“Let me pay you back and I’ll say yes” she whispered

“Just say yes. I know you want to” Jordan whispered in her ear “Don’t think, just feel”

“Okay” he had her backed into a corner and out of excuses, Olivia knew Jordan knew it too.

He got her agree to come visit but what Olivia didn't know was she was agreeing to a whole lot more. Jordan was going to use her visit to convince her to give him a chance, to take a risk and not look back. A vacation on the Jersey shore turned into more than Jordan could have ever imagined.