‹ Prequel: The Guardians

Breath of Life

I pray I'm the one, you'll never forget

“So how are you feeling?” Melissa asks me as I walk into the hospital. Scott must have told her what happened.

“I’m fine I guess,” I shrug, “I guess that’s why I’m here. It’s been a couple days and I want to know how everything is working so to speak.”

“You’re letting people’s worry about you get through huh?” She asks as she guides me to an empty room. “You know they just care about you, especially Scott and Stiles.”

“I understand that they’re worried and they have every right to be,” I sigh as she closes the door, “but I’m alive. I feel fine but I’m wondering if that’s the problem.”

“You were dead for five hours, give or take,” Melissa informs me, “that’s what Scott said anyways. Honestly it’s a damn miracle that you’re here with us and that Peter Hale is the one that’s responsible for it.”

“Derek and Scott, mainly Derek, think that he might have done something to me,” I admit to my aunt.

“Do you think he’s done something?”

“He needs me,” I reply confidently, “I honestly don’t think he would do something to me. First of all, he’s my godfather. Second of all, I owe him a debt and he plans on collecting it. He needs me alive in order to do that.”

“How about I check you out?” She suggests with a smile, “let’s put everyone’s thoughts at ease. Let’s prove to them that you’re perfectly fine.” A weak smile tugs at my lips as we begin the check up. Deep down, I pray that I’m fine. But honestly I believe that if there is something wrong with me, it wouldn’t be medical…

**

I walk into Derek’s loft and see everyone is doing some last minute packing. A sigh escapes my lips as I walk over to Derek’s bed where he’s sitting with Cora; talking. Without any words, I throw the medical file on his lips.

He looks at the file then up at me, “what’s this?”

“A medical file, “I reply, “mine to be exact.”

“Are you okay?” He asks, moving the file off his lap as he gets up.

“According to that file, I’m as healthy as an almost 24 year old should be.” I croak out, “just like what I’ve been telling you and Scott for the last couple days.”

“Then why are you on the verge of tears?” He asks me.

“Because despite how there is medical proof that I’m perfectly fine, you’re still going to fucking leave me.” I exclaim. “You’re going to leave me here to worry about you and whether or not you’re going to come back home in one piece or not.”

Derek sighs before grabbing my bicep, pulling me away from his little sister. “You know damn well I’m not going to fucking risk your life in South America. We’re just taking Cora down there, nothing else is going to really happen; hopefully.”

“Then why are you so worried about me getting hurt?” I question him, eyes narrowing into a glare.

“I just got you back, Stacy,” he sighs, putting a hand on my cheek. “I’m not losing you again.”

“Derek, our relationship is 24 years in the making,” I chuckle, wrapping my arms around his waist, “I don’t think a little danger or something small such as death can keep us away from each other.”

“You’re still not going,” he sternly says, pushing me away. “That’s final. I’m doing this to keep you out of potential harms way. Stay with your family, Scott needs you. You’re on your way to being his Guardian now.”

“But I still share a bond with you,” I counter, “I can’t be anyone’s Guardian til I sever our original bond. And we can do that in South America!”

A frustrated sigh escapes his lips, “Stacy, please just stay here. I’ve got a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach that something bad will happen if you come with us.”

“More of a reason for your Guardian to come along.” I cheekily grin, only to stop when I see Derek staring back with no expression.

“Please just stay,” he pleads, “I’m sure you’ll be more helpful here than in South America…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Stacy

It'll get better when it gets closer to the action.

Now I'm off to work on an update to my Stiles fanfic, The Devil Within.