The Art Of Getting By.

Remember your mortality

'Gerard, hand in your trigonometry homework.' Mrs Reiche sharply sliced out of her over pronounced mouth, spitting a little with her taut lips making their way back to the strait line they always find their way back to.
"I'm afraid I don't have it. " I kept doodling in the almost full exercise book.
"Why not Mr. Way? What could possibly be more important than your trigonometry homework in times like these" as she spoke her brow lowered and the flab below her wonky, plucked eyebrows slipped into her dull, sleep filled eyes.
"I was depressed." I answered, looking right at her. Her skin is faded and sagged, making her look like she has elephant skin.
She eyed me sharply "why is that then?"
"Because uh, I realised I'm going to die one day."
"We're all going to die Mr.Way. i don't think that's a reasonable excuse to not hand in your trigonometry homework Gerard." she sighs out, looking tired as well as fed up.
"Well... I was trying to. I just couldn't shake this awareness of my mortality... Everything seemed meaningless. Including the assignment unfortunately."
"I want you to go to the principle's office and find meaning in the assignment. Being it to me completed by the end of the period." She looked down at me in disgust as I folded away my books and scooped my pencils and shoved them into the pocket of my long, black coat. I shuffled from my seat and slumped my messenger bag onto my shoulder and walked out, the rest of the class returning their meaningless chat.