The Art Of Getting By.

Phil

As I took the 'long route' to the principles office, and by this I mean taking a detour to the forest nearby, I had a well earned cigarette. Sucking in on the sweet comfort it gave me before blowing it all out into the cold air.
After I had finished I trudged along to the office, when walking into the reception where Clarice is, Clarice is the receptionist who knows me rather well from being sent here pretty often. She raises her voice, in a caring but disapproving way, "you're late boy!"
I raise my hands in defeat. "I was just so engrossed in my work"
She smirkes a little and replies with "Well, I wouldn't want to be you right now."
"I haven't done anything" and give her a innocent face, dropping my bag from my shoulders and unbuttoning my black trench coat but not removing it.
"You've always done something Gee." She tuts but then my attention is veered towards the principle tapping on the glass at me and Clarice nods me to go on In.
"You'd better go"
I sigh and follow to where the principle was and into his office, much visited by me.

I lump my bag on one of the chairs by the door and slump into one of the cushioned, comfortable chairs by his desk where he was sat on the other side, shuffling around some papers. As he peers up at me through his glasses I smirk slightly when settled.
"Phil?" I question. He looks disapprovingly at me for calling him by the first name. But stays silent.
"Even though you have off campus privileges, if you are seen anywhere in the town smoking, you will have your privileges provoked, automatic probation" his deep gravely voice grumbled out, pausing or effect every so often.
I look at him and put my hands together. " and why are you telling me?" I ask, smiling at him.
"Oh, so you think I can't smell?" He smirks up at me.
"You can smell all you want" I state and he just looks at me before returning to his papers, shuffling them about smiling slightly.
He isn't that bad of a principle, at least he has some form of humour even if it is dry.
"Shall we get down to business?" I ask as I lean back in the comfortable chair, wishing we had these in class.
Phil chuckles and takes his glasses off, before replying in a more formal tone "yes we shall. In a way, your future depends on these next few months Gerard, not just for college. I mean it sets the tone for everything that follows. Now I know how you think, and I know you're thinking it's too late and you're gonna be a fatalist and let it all go to hell" he says in a matter of factory tone while I huff a little and look out of the window, there is an interesting shaped tree I like to look at outside of phials office.
"But Gerard, if you keep performing the way you are then you'll have to forget about college, forget about graduating even. "
I turn to look at him sullenly, undecided on whether I should even try to do anything for school.
"So... This is your official warning. Suspension is next"
He places his glasses back on his face and smiles a little at me but I don't return it.
"I thought probation was next" I say to him, adjusting my coat collar then looking up to him.
He laughs and takes off his glasses yet again but this time it annoys me a little. Keep them on or keep them on.
"Don't play the angles Gerard.. They won't work. Neither do jokes'
"...I wasn't joking" as my eyes bore into his.
"I know you're capable." He says, serious again, leaning foreword slightly.
"I have a real problem, with motivating. But.. I think I can do it" I say, I mean I guess I should try.
"I mean.. I'll try" I shrug my shoulders and look back at him. He still doesn't look impressed but nods me off and tells me I can go. "And don't make me regret it" he says as I'm leaving. I pick my bag back up and walk out of the room.