The Art Of Getting By.

Jack

As I walk home, it's getting dark but it's still blue. Making the trees silhouetted but still splashed with colour.
I walk into the house, trying to get the jammed in key out of the keyhole, I realise the house is very dark am try to flip on a light only to find out it doesn't work, so I try another and another before defeating myself and sighing that we have no electric again.
I hear mumbles coming from the dining room, and head there. It's my mother and her 'boyfriend.
"What happened to the electricity" I ask, in a cold voice.
"Oh hi sweetie, we got uh takeout, from the Chinese place." Mum says, pointing to the bag of food.
"Why don't you grab a plate and join us?" The male at the table asks.
"Oh, the delights." I reply sarcastic, smiling. "What happened?"
"Oh, it's my fault. Um. I forgot to pay the bill, and uh. It's no big deal, it'll be on tomorrow." He says through mouthfuls of food.
I shrug up my bag and look away, about to walk off.
"Gerard, uh, we're trying to turn this little mix up into a fun experience and if you can't get into the spirit of adventure then you can just do your own thing, you don't have to stick around. " he says gravely as though he has experience, trying to be fatherly. But being a total prick anyway.
"I'm sorry Jack, I can't use my laptop, much less get my assignments." I say.
"So go to the library, or Starbucks" he suggests. "Be resourceful"
So I just look at him and walk off into my room.