Sequel: Cyanide Sun
Status: completed

Heartkiller

Chapter Six: Right Here in my Arms

She is smiling like heaven is down on earth
The sun is shining so bright on her
And all her wishes have finally come true
And her heart is weeping
This happiness is killing her

Tuesday, November 7, 2006

After spending the weekend in Finland, Avery flew back to New York, leaving Ville behind to record Venus Doom. When she left, it was clear that they were exclusive. They were officially boyfriend and girlfriend, and Ville couldn’t contain his happiness. Everyone noticed: his bandmates, his fans, and the press. While he obviously told the boys about Avery, his fans were left in the wind, as he generally didn’t share his personal life openly. That doesn’t mean the press didn’t try to figure out what was happening; the Finnish tabloids exploded with speculations about him reconnecting with Jonna, but they couldn’t find any evidence. When asked about it in interviews, he chalked it up to being happy to finally return home after so long. Although they weren’t convinced, reporters knew that they would only be able to get as much.

Avery was equally happy. Momentarily, she had forgotten her career woes and basked in the glory of the new relationship. Given her spotty track record with men, Avery was glad to find someone worth committing to. She recognized that something was different from just the way they had met and how open they had been; once all the skeletons in the closet had been discovered, she abandoned her initial reservations and let herself enjoy the relationship. For the first few weeks of the honeymoon phase of the relationship, the pressures of her work cases certainly etched at her, but it wasn’t enough to bring her down. Her coworker, Paige, caught Avery smiling to herself as she combed through a case file, and decided to broach the subject.

“What’s gotten you so over the moon lately?” Paige asked, peeking over Avery’s cubicle divider.

Avery’s office was hidden amongst the other associates’ desks, all of which were located in the west wing of the Sterling-Ellis offices. The dividers that separated the cubicles were quite low, allowing partners to walk by and survey the room easily. As a result, there wasn’t much privacy.

“Nothing,” she said and her mouth twisted to hide the smile.

“Not quite what your face says.” Paige teased. “Come on, spill!”

“Uhh, well remember the guy I told you about a few weeks ago?”

“The ultra-suave guy whose name you can’t even tell me? Yeah, I remember. I’m starting think he doesn’t exist though, seeing as you won’t tell me anything about him.”

“Well, he does exist.”

“I’m just saying, I see how he makes you feel, but when you’re being so secretive, it’s a little suspicious. What, is he George Clooney or some rapper or something?”

“No, he’s just really private about his life. Anyway, after what feels like six million dates, he finally asked me out.” Avery beamed.

“Awesome!”

“Yeah, we took a little trip to his place for the weekend, and he asked me before I left.”

“Now that you guys are official, can I meet him yet?”

“Not in the near future. He’s out of the country on business.” Avery explained.

“So, that’s like what? Maybe a week or two?”

“No, his business is... complicated. He’ll be gone for a few months.”

“How are you gonna handle a relationship when he’s away for so long? Have you ever been in a long-distance relationship before?”

“No, I haven’t. It’s hard not being able to see him when I want to and to kiss him and things like that. We kind of have to manage with phone calls and emails. Unfortunately.” she frowned. “Although, I’m sure we’ll make up for things when I finally see him again.” she added with a sheepish grin.

“Whatever. I feel like you’re just dragging me along on some cruel practical joke, which, for the record, I don’t find funny!”

“I’m not, I swear!” she guffawed.

“Uh huh. I’ll believe it when I see him.” Paige said, and left her alone.

It was unsettling for Ville and Avery to have to carry out their relationship over the phone. Ville was more used to it than Avery was because this was the way most of his relationships played out due to his work schedule. However, it didn’t make it any easier. The time difference made it impossible to catch one another at a reasonable hour. They managed as best as they could, and both were understanding of the situation. Ville was playing a few shows with HIM from December to early January so his hours were especially odd during that time. In late December, Ville missed not being able to talk to her face-to-face for three months; she suggested they Skype to which he conceded that he wouldn’t have Internet until he reached Switzerland, which wasn’t for another week. It sucked, but Avery was understanding.

They also had to spend the holidays apart. Ville rang in the New Year playing the Tavastia Club in Finland, while Avery was under the thumb of a partner who had pawned off all of his work to her in order spend the holidays with his own family. She was infuriated, but she was in no position to complain; if she did, there were tens of other associates who would have happily undertaken the work in order to make a positive impression for themselves, and Avery couldn’t risk hurting her reputation when she had her eyes set on the junior partner position. She was almost there, and she could practically feel it. Despite the increased workload and responsibility, the position would have great perks, including travelling across the world to visit a rockstar boyfriend at the drop of a hat.

She suspected that this sudden imposition was actually a challenge to test her commitment to the firm. After explaining all this, Ville was more than understanding. He knew that her job came first, especially when their relationship was still so young. No matter how much either wanted to fly across the world to see the other, it was understood that they had prior work engagements from which they couldn’t escape.

Friday January, 12, 2007

At the end of the second week of January, Ville checked into the Swiss hotel at a late hour and immediately crashed on the bed once he was through the door of his room. The next morning though, he called Avery after he finished getting ready for the long day ahead of him. It was 3 am in New York, so she was already fast asleep.

“Hello?” She answered the phone with a groggy voice.

“Hey, Ave. I’m so sorry, I didn’t realize how late it was in New York.”

“No, it’s fine, baby. I want to talk to you. One sec.”

“Yeah. What time is it there?”

She turned on the bedside lamp and sat up to lean against the headboard. She wiped her eyes and attempted to rub off the sleep so that she was lucid enough to speak. She cleared her throat.

“It's three in the morning. Must be like eight there, right?"

"Yeah, it's 8:15. I have to get going for interviews in a bit."

"How was Italy?” she asked.

“It was good. Lots of interviews and press things. The shows were pretty good.”

“Yeah? How were the fans?”

“Passionate. They’re fun. They brought us gifts, posters and things...” he paused to whisper: “I miss you.”

“I miss your face, too.” she said. She heard his trademark staggering cackle at her candor. “You’re in Switzerland now, right? Can we Skype?”

“Yeah, yeah. Let me get it open.” he said.

“Do you know how to work a laptop, babe?”

“Of course I do!” he insisted with a laugh.

“I’m just saying: you tend to be a little behind the times as far as technology goes.”

“I see you’re wide awake now, judging by your sarcasm.”

“That was not sarcasm. Your cellphone is like from the nineties. Let’s be honest here.”

“If we’re being honest, it’s actually from 2004, sweetheart.”

“Yeah, well, I don’t believe you. Do you have Skype open?”

“Yeah, you?”

“Yeah, my laptop is on my bedside table. I’ll call you on there, alright?”

“K, see you soon, love.”

“See you.”

Avery pulled her Macbook onto her lap and watched the screen come to life. She opened up the application from her desktop and called Ville through it. The video was black at first, but his camera slowly adjusted to the lighting and he was visible. He was dressed in a band tee, jeans and a black scarf tied around his neck, as per usual. Ville was sitting on the bed, his legs swung over the side of it; a generic painting hung on the wall behind him. His hair was damp, leaving it in a mess of ringlets, and he was clean-shaven, just the way she liked.

“It’s really dark, darling. I can’t see you.” he said.

“Hold on.”

She got up and turned on the bedroom light. On her way back to the laptop, she took her hair out of the braid she wore to bed and finger-combed through the locks, but it wasn’t much help. Avery leaned against the headboard, and her white sheets were pulled up close to keep her warm against the cold January air.

“Ahh, there’s that gorgeous face.”

She blushed. “I’m half asleep, my hair is a wreck, and I don’t have any makeup on. Far from gorgeous.”

“Why do you always deny my compliments?”

“Because most of them are unfounded. Besides, I think your belittling nature is rubbing off on me.”

“Aw, I hope not. I adore your pride. I find you confidence to be very alluring.”

“Uh huh.” she dismissed with narrowed eyes.

“I’ve been writing a lot.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I’ve been trying to find time between everything, but the inspiration is astounding. I’ve got you to thank for that.”

“Me? What did I do?” she scrunched her eyebrows.

“You took me out of my dry spell, and now I can’t keep my hands off the guitar.” he glowed. “If I finish this in time, it could end up on this album, but we’ll have to see about that.”

“Well, can I hear some of this new stuff you’ve been writing?”

“Thought you’d never ask.” he admitted.

He reached over for his guitar, which was sitting on the bed. He moved the laptop from his lap to the desk and steadied himself to play the instrument. Avery sat with her hands knit together and her chin resting on them, anxiously waiting to hear him play.

“I’m still working through the specifics. It’s not done yet.” he warned.

“It’ll be amazing, I know it.” she encouraged.

He took a deep breath, nervous to see how she’ d react.

“It’s tentatively called Love in Cold Blood.” he introduced.

He played a few chords and started to sing after a few bars.

“Serpentine love's thighs wrap around me in search for death, Drenched in blood the adored and beloved will give in to.” The tempo and rigor increased as he transitioned into the chorus. “Love in cold blood, Breathe me in sweet suffering, Love in cold blood, Put me out of my misery...”

He slowed to a stop. “That’s all I have for now.”

Avery clapped. “It sounds incredible. A lot grungier and grittier than your earlier stuff.”

Ville raised his eyebrows, surprised that she knew of his other material. To his reaction, her face fell.

“What? You didn’t think I’d go out and buy all your earlier albums?” she asked. When he nodded ‘no,’ she continued. “Of course I did, Valo! I wanted to listen to everything.”

“Thanks for the support.” he said sincerely.

“Of course, baby!”

“What’s your favorite track?”

“I can’t pick just one! Hmm...” she tapped her chin with her index as she thought. “I like the piano in Heartache Every Moment, and also obviously in The Sacrament. I LOVE the guitars in Wings of a Butterfly, but I think my favorite has to be... Circle of Fear... or maybe Gone with the Sin, ‘cause I love how low your voice gets in that one. Or... see, I told you I can’t pick just one. I love them all!”

Ville had the biggest grin on his face. “I’m happy hear to that, Ave.”

He set the guitar aside and pulled the laptop back onto his lap.

“What’s new with you?” he asked.

“I’ve been working a lot, so that’s all I’ve really done. Nothing interesting to say... although, my friends are starting to doubt that you exist.”

“Why's that?”

"Because I haven't told them anything other than that I'm dating someone. I wasn't sure how you felt about it."

Ville gave a puzzled look.

"Why would I have a problem with that?"

"I don't know. Tabloids, I suppose." She muttered.

"Ave, if I worried about things like that, I'd never be able to live my life. It's not like you're calling up these magazines to tell them what's going on. If they were to figure things out, so be it. Don’t let that stop you from doing what you wish."

"So I can tell them about you and what you do for a living? Things like that?"

"Perfectly alright." he reassured with a smile.

“Okay. When will you be home? I miss you.”

“We have a few weeks left here in Europe. Then I’m flying out to LA for a week of meetings with Warner Brothers. We’re working out the specifics for releasing Venus Doom.”

“You’ll be home in time for Valentine’s Day?”

“I’ll make sure of it.”

“When will the album be released?”

“We've been recording since March last year, but we've also been playing shows, which is why it's taken so long. There's some contractual mumbo jumbo that needs to be sorted out, so that's why I'm going to LA. Then it's back to the studio and playing some shows occasionally. At this point, we’re shooting to finish recording by late June so that it can be released by September.”

“If you’ll be gone that long, I was kind of hoping you could meet my parents when you’re in town this time around. Would you be okay with that? Do you want to? I mean, I know we’ve only been dating four months, but I really want them to meet you so they can see how they great you are. I’ll understand if you don’t want to, but --” she rambled out of nervousness.

“I’d love to meet your parents, darling.” Ville interrupted.

She smiled. “Good. They’re gonna love you.”

“I’m not sure how much they’ll enjoy knowing that their daughter is dating some guy in a band when they’re in such respectable professions. How can I compete with a CEO and a surgeon?”

She scoffed. “Don’t sell yourself short! I’m sure they’ll be happy once they get to know just like I did.” Remembering all the things they’d done within hours of meeting, she corrected herself. “Well, maybe not exactly like I did. Anyway, all this album stuff. Is it happening at the Finnvox studios?”

Ville grinned at his last memory of the studios. “Recording there, yes.”

Avery mirrored his expression. “Reminiscing that night, are you?”

“How could I forget? It was amazing... Maybe we could have a little replay action.” he suggested.

“Striptease in my pajamas, babe? I doubt that’s sexy.”

“I don’t doubt it will be. I think you can make it work.” he winked.

Avery huffed. “I’ll do it. But only since you’re asking ever so nicely.”

She put the laptop on the bed and faced it against the wall. She stood up and got in front of the camera, wearing only her tank top and panties. Avery walked off camera for a second to get herself into character. She shook herself and prepared to embody a different version of herself. A sexier version. When she was satisfied, she came back into Ville's view. She fiddled with the straps of her pantyline, pretending to be coy and naive.

“Maybe I need a little dance to go with this. If you want, that is.” She said seductively. “...do you want it?”

He nodded with his mouth slightly agape. Ville was spellbound by what he saw: her hair was tousled and her clothing was minimal, barely hanging onto her skin. She bit her lip and continued to tease him.

“Let me hear you,” she whispered.

“I want it.” he gulped.

Avery started to slip her shirt down slowly as she continued to string him along. She spun her head around like the models in shampoo commercials do, whipping her hair around in a semicircle in front of her. Her hair fell to a stop over her shoulders, and she threw him a provocative look. With her legs spread apart, she drew her right hand from her left ankle along her leg up to her thigh. She swiftly rocked her hips and danced seductively.

“How bad?”

“I haven’t seen you in three months, Ave. I haven’t held you or kissed you in as much. Really bad.”

Avery had removed her sleeves, and her shirt was barely covering her breasts. She caressed the collar, which was sitting at the top of her bosom, and gently moved her fingers over the skin.

“If you’re sure.” she breathed.

“I’m sure.” he mumbled.

She let go of the fabric, letting it fall to her hips quickly. She rocked her hips to make the garment fall to her ankles. Her fingers danced across the bare skin, and Avery traced her lip with her tongue. She stood in just her pink panties, toying with the edge and threatening to let it slip down. She didn’t let it, though. No, she wasn’t going to let Ville have her that easily.

"Your turn." She whispered.

It took a moment for Ville to gather himself. He took a deep breath before responding.

"Nuh uh, th-this is all you. I can't do this nearly as well as you do, and-and I'm already dressed for my interviews for today."

"Ville, I’m almost naked and you still have all of your clothes on. This isn't fair. Please?"

She pouted and he wished he could reach through the screen to kiss her right then. It was the most irresistible expression she could make, and it made it even harder for him contain himself given the current scenario.

“No, I can’t, sweetheart. I’d look like a fool. You... you look so... sexy.”

“The show is just getting started. If you wanna see more...” she curled her index finger, signalling him. “...you gotta pay up.”

Ville sighed. “You’re going to be the end of me, you know?”

“I’m waiting.” she said, tapping on her wrist where a watch should have been.

Her voice was hushed as she continued to use her striptease tone to lure him. Her long hair slipped over her shoulders and covered her nipples. Avery stood with her arms crossed over her chest, causing her boobs to squeeze together and appear larger. It was unintentional, but seeing his eyes widen at the sight, she smiled and kept her arms crossed. Ville reluctantly put the laptop down on the desk. He backed up a few paces and played with the hem of his shirt.

“I wouldn’t do this for anyone else.”

“I should hope not!” she giggled.

First, he unwrapped the scarf and threw it roughly onto the floor. Then, he removed his shirt while swaying his hips from side to side. He looked absolutely uncomfortable doing this.

“Do a little shimmy for me, doll.” she directed.

At this, he stopped what he was doing and glared. “Don’t push it.”

“Would you like me to continue or not?” she threatened.

He rolled his eyes, spun the shirt over his head like a cowboy with a lasso, and threw the shirt onto his bed. Ville leaned his shoulders to one side, shimmied to the other, and snapped his fingers. He repeated the motion several times. Just then, someone opened the door to his hotel room, and Avery heard Ville gasp. He was caught.

“Hey Ville, oh-” Mige started to say.

His gaze shifted from Ville’s mid-dance frozen pose to Avery on the laptop screen. She had covered herself with her tanktop clutched to her chest and had fallen to her knees, but she couldn’t conceal her mirth. Her face was still visible on screen. Mige realized what he had walked in the middle of, so he focused on Ville.

“Sorry, I just came by to tell you that we’re leaving in five minutes, Ville.”

“It’s okay.” Avery reassured.

“Nice rack, by the way,” he said.

“Thanks,” she said between giggles.

Ville glowered at him for looking at Avery like that, and Mige took that as his cue to leave.

“I’m sorry about that. We don’t usually lock doors since there isn’t much left to hide after all these years. I forgot about you, though.” Ville apologized.

“Don’t worry about it. I was covered... mostly. Good job, by the way. I liked that dance you got going on.”

“Thanks.” he said sarcastically.

He was embarrassed that Mige had caught him dancing like that. Nobody else could have convinced him to do something as heinous as that, but Avery had him hooked.

“I know you have to go, but I’ll leave you with this: next time you’re in town, I’ll show you how a real shimmy goes down.” she said.

“Tease.” he muttered and rolled his eyes.

“You’re the one that has to leave! It’s not my fault we can’t finish this.”

“I wish I didn’t have to go.”

“You have to. I’ll talk to you later, okay? Have a great show tonight, Valo.”

“Talk to you soon, Ave.” he said and clicked the red end call button on the screen.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ahh, this is the last chapter I've pre-written! Updates may be slower now, but I'll try to update regularly. Any feedback?