Secret Agent Man

Chapter 8

A small, light brown falcon perched itself near the sill of the huge gold-tinted window, studying its own reflection in the glass and tilting its head to the side in confusion. It spent a fair amount of time each day doing this, occasionally picking unwanted feathers from its wings or pecking at the carpet beneath its talons to see if any crumbs had been dropped. Its bright yellow eyes caught the image of a door opening in the reflection, and it curiously pecked the glass a few times.

A low whistle suddenly brought the bird to fly into the air and soar halfway across the room to perch on the hand of its owner, who affectionately stroked its back in praise. Hawkeye smiled. The young falcon was learning to not land on his expensive suit. He allowed his gaze to travel over the luxurious décor of the room around him, as if just now recognizing the extent of his own wealth. Gold curtains edged the windows, setting off the white carpeting. Most of the furniture matched this color scheme as well, save for the huge black piano taking up a large part of the far corner. A perfect, wide square of warm blue water lay in the center of the room.

“This is truly one of your finest plans yet, sir,” said a cunning voice nearby. It belonged to Dominic Howard, closest in command to Hawkeye and the only person allowed to speak to him directly. Hawkeye said nothing in reply, only allowing one corner of his mouth to move in a show of levity.

“Is the prisoner still unconscious?” he asked. The two guards brought the sleeping man forward. He nodded. “Good. Take him to a room and lock him inside. His brother will be here to get him in a few days and I don’t want him…escaping.”

Dom grinned darkly at Chris, a taller, more blank-faced man standing not far away from him. He couldn’t care less about those lower on the ladder; even though Chris was just beneath his position of leadership, it still meant Dom was in charge, and he planned to exploit every ounce of his power.

“Never would have thought we’d get Bryar and Toro back here again,” he said snidely, more to himself than Hawkeye. He stood stiffly by his superior’s side, arms folded, a matching sneer fixed on his face as he looked down upon the sleeping man securely trapped between Bob and Ray, his head drooping forward in unconsciousness. Dom was so intent on playing the role of second-in-command, in fact, that he didn’t even notice Hawkeye’s right hand slipping behind his back, ending in Chris’s line of sight to give a quiet snap with his fingers. He had been questioning Dom’s loyalty for some time now, and although the man seemed to be willing to follow every order, Hawkeye knew he could take no chances. He wanted henchmen, not people who could threaten his control.

Chris dipped his chin in acknowledgment of the command. He walked up the steps towards Dom and wrenched the man’s arms behind his back, then forced him to walk forward as a policeman would do to a suspect.

“What are you doing?! Let me go!” Dom shouted in protest. He struggled to get away from the other man, but Chris’s strength far exceeded his own. He suddenly found himself hoisted into the air and thrown a few feet. He twisted as he fell and landed with a horrified expression in the cerulean pool of water. The water began to churn ominously as he flailed his arms and legs. Seconds later the raging piranhas attacked him and tore his flesh to pieces, making red blooms rise and bubble to the surface. Chris reacted with silent indifference as he returned to his previous place; the only sound besides Dom’s agonizing screams was the underlying ripple of amused laughter from Hawkeye.