She's Not Afraid

Pleasure Smoker

Niall had wandered into the bathroom after eating chilli cheese hotdogs ,during our last night of us together, when his phone went off. I lean towards his bedside table and see "ANNA" lighting up in big letters. I immediately jump, yet hesitant to answer.

Adri: Hey, Anna.
Anna: Adrienne? I need to speak to Niall.
Adri: He's kind of preoccupied at the moment. Can we talk if you don't mind?
Anna: *sighs* Did you know they were gonna bring me here?
Adri: I didn't even find out until this afternoon...I think it's messed up, but I'll come and visit as long whenever okay?

I was pleading with Anna, I wanted-no, needed-to convince her to stay for the treatment and the silence growing between us had already told me that she had to mull this over.

Anna: Yea...the boys are gonna be touring and I need somebody to care about me.

I hear her sniffing and I bite my lip to keep myself from tearing up.

Adri: You can still call Louis, he cares so mu--
Anna: No he doesn't! He wouldn't have put me here!
Adri:...He just wanted to help...
Anna: But I got worse last time...I have to go, the nurses are making me get off. Bye, Adrienne.

The line went dead before I could say my goodbyes. I place Niall's phone back on his table and get out of bed. I go to my purse and grab my carton and lighter. I slip on Niall's slippers and go to an area where I've been getting familiar with lately, the balcony.

The night air was cool and caused goosebumps to spread across my skin. Which made my first inhale so much more enjoyable. I close my eyes and take another puff. It felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders...until it was replaced.

"Uh oh, yer pleasure smokin'. Wassup?" Niall asks standing beside me.

I blow out one last huff then open my eyes and face him.
"Anna called and she thinks no one cares." I then look out at the city to keep Niall from seeing my eyes tear up. "And I just wanna help her."

My voice had finally cracks and Niall wraps his arms around me to pull me in for a hug. I cry into his shirt and let everything out. Once I was reduced to a few hiccup sobs, he kisses my forehead and pulls back.

"You go down there tomorrow and show her that we care." He says with a smile.

The Next Day

I stroll into the hospital around noon and head straight for the front desk.
"Nice to know this place hasn't changed much since the last time I was here." I mutter.

"How may I help you?" The receptionist asks.

"I'm here to see Annabelle Marks." I say in my most polite voice.

"Oh yes, our newest arrival." The receptionist smiles and writes on a piece of paper. "And may I have your name?"

"Adrienne Bulinski." I mutter.

The receptionist looks up at me, obviously hearing me clearly.
"The Adrienne Bulinski?" Her eyes were wide as I pull out my ID. She gave me a name sticker and let me through.

I pull myself together and look for the group room/lounge area. I walk in and sit in one of the tables as they bring Anna in.
"Hey Anna."