She's Not Afraid

Stressing

Adrienne's POV
I had been sitting in the waiting room of the ICU, studying for my test that I have to take in this exact hospital in a mere 6 hours. I had seen a few of my peers walking around the hospital, freaking out or crying. Some had just taken their residency exam and others were trying to study with their mentors. Me? I was squeezed up in a chair, my hair falling in my eyes, and my face nose deep in my notes.

"Adri!"

I look up towards where I heard the voice. I see Niall walking over. I place my notes in the chair next to me and move my legs so that I'm no longer sitting on them. I stand and stretch so my body stays awake.

"Hey, Ni. How's Anna?" I ask.

"They're rulin' it a suicide attempt and she's at a higher risk to miscarreh." He grimaces at the thought and continues. "And her motha' spoke wit' her earlier, criticising her relationship wit Lou. Oh and remember dat girl at Nandos? Dat was her cousin...and dat's who her mum compared her to."

I raise a brow as my emotions rile me up, but as I go to open my mouth, nothing comes out.

"Ya okay?" He asks. I start to shake then fall onto Niall.

"Shit!" I mumble loudly. Niall holds onto me then puts me back into the chair. "Ni...go in m-my purse....and...g-get my meds-s."

He nods then diggs through my purse. I close my eyes and try to calm myself down. I grip the arms of the chair and do the deep breathing exercises my drug counselor showed me.

Niall shoves the bottle in front of me. I grab it, open it, and swallow a pill. After a few moments my body stops trembling and my breathing slows down.

"What was dat?" Niall asks, standing in front of me.

"If I get stressed or riled up, I might seize...a lot worse than I did few minutes ago." I sigh then pick up my notes. "I need to study...and check up on Anna."

"No...well you can check on Anna, but don' studeh. Yer gonna be fine." Niall takes my notes away from me then grabs my hand. I wobble as I stand and Niall stables me.

Just as we start walking up the hall, I almost fall.
"Babe, we can come back." Niall says stabling me again. "Anna's gonna be here fer a couple o' days. Ya can see her tomorrah afta yer test."

I bite my lip and sigh, knowing that Niall doesn't want too many of his favorite people in the hospital tonight.
"Fine...Just call Louis and tell him we're leaving." I sigh again and put my head on Niall's shoulder. He turns us around and we walk out into the parking lot.

Once we get into the car, Niall types a message to Louis and drives off. I close my eyes and listen to the engine hum.