Beauty and the Bastard

20 Questions

Me and Kane were in the mall. Jane and Chris both had work so I got to watch Kane for the day. I needed to do some shopping, since most of my clothes don't fit me anymore so I donated them. Either they were too small or too large on me or it was a 'what was I thinking' kind of clothing. Anyway I needed to shop. I brought Kane to all the stores I usually go to and tried to get out of the as fast as possible. Even though Kane isn't two years old yet, he is still a male and no man wants to go shopping with their shop alcoholic aunt no matter their age. After all my shopping, poor Kane has to walk since my bags are taking up his stroller. I picked Kane up and ran to my car. I placed Kane into the car before loading in all my bags and his stroller.

I thought since I tortured the boy enough, I would bring him to park for a while. I watched his tiny body run around the place as I sat on one of the benches. A boy my age walked up to me with a charming smiling on his face. I flicked my hair over my shoulder and kept my eyes on my nephew.

"Hello Beautiful." I felt him sit down next to me but also felt someone come up behind me.

"Move along, Boy. This one is mine."

I smile at the southern voice that keeps replaying in my head as the guy ran off to his now laughing friends. I scoff at their childish behavior as Merle sat down next to me.

"Ya stalking me or something, Redneck?" I asked as I watched a 3 year old boy help Kane slide down the slide. The two boys ran up to a woman who looks like the boy Kane was playing with, I guess that is his mother.

Merle scoffed before laying an arm on the back of the bench. His hand brushed my shoulder lightly and I had to force myself not to shiver. "Now, why would I do that?"

"Why wouldn't you? I am a beautiful human being." I flashed Merle a flirty smirk before looking down at Kane that just climbed up onto my lap. Kane let out a yawn and I lifted an eyebrow. No way he tired himself out that fast. I thought but I looked down and saw he was giving Merle the stink eye. I laughed before tickling Kane. "Stop being a brat and go play with your new friend."

"But…"

"No buts Kane. Now shoo." I placed my nephew on the ground and gave him a little push. He gave the puppy dog eyes and I smirked. "That aint gonna work on me, Kane. I used that same look on your daddy plenty of times. It doesn't affect me. Now go play." Kane pouts and stomps away. He goes and sits in a corner with his arms crossed over his chest. I frown and shake my head, I aint gonna give in to his temper tantrum.

"What's wrong with the kid?" Merle asked as he stretched out even more. This man just has to take up the whole bench, doesn't he?

"He doesn't like sharing me. He does it to his own father and uncles. My attention has to always be on him." l lay my head back a little so its resting on Merle's bicep. Merle shifts his arm and wraps it over my shoulders. We sit like this in silence for an hour before a now really tired Kane walks towards us. "Ya ready to go, little man?" Kane nods his head before holding out his arms to me. I roll my eyes but pick him up and place him onto my hip. I look back at Merle who was about to go to sleep also. "Come on, Redneck." I said while pulling him to his feet. Merle raises an eyebrow at me but doesn't say a word.

I lead him to my car and Merle lets out a scoff. "Hey at least it's the classic one and not one of those bullshit newer ones. Me and my dad restored it when I was younger. It was my birthday gift for my 16th birthday." I informed him as I buckled Kane into his seat. I drove the three of us to my apartment in Atlanta. I never wanted to stay in the city but my collage didn't offer dorms. So, I had to bust my ass all through high school so I can get enough money to get the apartment and now since im not in school a lot my mom stopped paying my rent for me. I was very confused about that. She made me bust my ass since I was a fresh-man to get the apartment but she would pay for my rent and bills so I can focus on my studies. To me it made no sense but I didn't argue since arguing with my mother is like arguing with a brick wall.

I pull up in front of my building. I could see Merle staring at it. I made sure since I was busting my ass for this apartment, I was going to get the best one I can get. So saying I was in the rich part of Atlanta in a very rich looking building would be an understatement.

"So your rich or something?" Merle asked as I bent down to get a still sleeping Kane. I scoffed at the idea of me being rich. My mother is rich cause of my Dad's checks but she doesn't share it with no one unless Daddy orders her too.

"Na, my mother made me bust my ass when I was in high school so I could have a place to stay during collage. So I thought since im the one working and not her, I would get the best apartment I can get." I shrugged as I walked into the building. I nodded my hellos to the doormen before leading Merle to the elevator. I unlocked my apartment on the 13th floor and smiled at the homey feel of it.

I was proud of the apartment I got when I was only 17 years old. I brought the one that had a great view of the woods, since I was such a tree hugger as my brother Spencer would say. I made my apartment kinda look like that. I have all wood base furniture. My couch was a rich chocolaty cream, just like the matching chairs. The walls are an off white. And this décor goes all threw my apartment besides the three bedrooms. The first one I made into a playroom with a bed/crib for my nieces and nephews. It has all of the coolest toys and games for them to play with. I painted and decorated the room as if it was a jungle. The kids love it and it still has a piece of me in it. The guest bedroom was painted half brown and half green. The furniture was white and the spread on the bed was a dark green with brown sheets and pillows. My bedroom was nothing like my apartment. It had no woodsy feel or even a homey feel to was more of a furry feel. My walls are white with thick black curtains over the large bay windows that look out into the woods. My floor was black wood with a large white furry rug under my bed. My bed was a high rise white plush bed. It had white pillows and sheets with a black furry blanket. A large flat screen TV hung across from my bed and under it was a long black wooden counter, which I also use as my vanity. My closet was large built in one. It had three floor to ceiling mirrors ad doors. Across from that was my bathroom, which follows the black and white furry feel.

I placed Kane onto the small bed in the playroom before attaching the crib like pieces so he doesn't roll out and onto the floor. Merle was still looking at my living room so I just went ahead and brought in my bags and Kane's things. I placed my everyday bag onto the island counter in my kitchen along with Kane's bag and left his stroller by the door. I carried all my shopping bag into my room and left the door open. I started to put away all of my purchases as Merle walked into the room. A loud growl erupted once Merle stepped foot into the room. I laughed as Merle jumped back in shock before looking for what made the noise.

"Bully, come here."

I went back to my clothes as my skinny yet large German Shepard and Labrador retriever crawled out from under my bed. Bullet was all back with tan paws and a little white on his chest. His ears pointed up just like a Shepard's. He had the body and face like a Shepard but the lovable and soft qualities of a lab. Bullet is not really a watch dog, only when it comes to men being alone with me. He is very protective but he really is just a lovable puppy.

Bullet walked over to Merle, sniffed him before jumping up and plopping down on my bed. I laugh at him and shake my head. "You are one lazy dog, Bullet." I cooed to my dog as I took his face in-between my hands. Bullet replied with a lick before dropping his head onto his paws. I looked over at Merle and smiled. "That's Bullet, he aint gonna do nothing."

Merle let out a scoff before leaning on the wooden counter. "That's not what his growl meant."

"Bullet is all bark but no bite. Unless someone is trying to hurt me physically, then he is all bite." I finished putting away my clothes and climbed into bed with Bullet. I pushed him for him to lie on his side before laying my head down on his ribs. I patted the space next to me for Merle to join us. He grumbled a bit but still laid down with his hands under his head and his feet hanging off the bed. "Let's play 20 questions." I said with a smile.

"Whatever."

"How old are you?"

"35, you?"

"19." Merle looks up at me with a raised eyebrow. "Im not lying. Im really 19 years old. I was born February 16, 1987." I stuck my tongue out at him. Merle smirked and grabbed my tongue with his two fingers. I tried to bite him but it didn't work.

"Don't stick it out if ya aint gonna use it." Merle's smirk became bigger as he let go of my tongue. I slapped his arm but still I laughed. "Tell me about your family."

"My dad is at war right now in the army. Me and him are like best friends. I never hide anything from him cause I just cant. It never seemed right hiding something from my father. Even though he is in the army and is a big scary guy, he never yelled at me. My brothers or my mom sure but me, I got away with everything. My mom is the typical army wife. Looking all worried for your husband but is more concerned on where she can spend his money. She doesn't cheat on him cause she does love him but she loves money more. I don't get along with my mother because ever since I was born, she became third in Daddy's life. I am first and the army is second."

"What about your brothers?"

"I have five older brothers and all of them are adopted. My mother never wanted children but my dad did. He was the one adopting my brothers. Only Shane kept his birth last name, since he was the only one to remember it. The oldest is Matthew, he is 32 years old. He is married to his high school sweetheart, Roxxi and has 3 gonna be 4 kids with her. A son, Max, and twin daughters, Stacy and Torrie. Chris is the second oldest, being 31. He was the one that picked me up from the station the day we met. His wife, Jade, was the one that was tattooing your brother the next time we saw each other."

"The one that owns the shop, right?"

"Right, they are Kane's parents. Then there's Shane who is 29. Me and him used to be close but then he went into the academy and just dropped his family besides Mom. He was the one that gave me Bullet." Merle went to asked something about Bullet but I cut him off. "I will tell you that story later." Merle nodded and kept his mouth shut. "Then there are the twins. Jasper and Spencer who are 25 now. Jasper is the nerd of the family while his twin is the jokester. They are complete opposites but make the best team. And then there's me." I finished with a bright smile on my face. Even though I don't get along with Shane, I love talking about my family. "What about yours?"

"Eh my father is a drunken asshole. Ma died when I was 13. Daryl is 29 now and he mostly just hunts. Daryl likes to be by himself and not much of a people person. He doesn't really talk much but when he does its usually something important or an insult, depends on the person." Merle lets out a laugh and smile at the look in his eye. Merle seems like an asshole and a bastard but he really does love his brother.

Me and Merle talked about everything and anything. I learnt some much about him. I learned why he got into drugs, why he tried to get away from his house, why he treats some women the way he does. Merle is like a puzzle. When you think you have it finished you find more pieces.

"Auntie?"

I looked at the doorway into my room and saw Kane standing there. My eyebrows furrowed as I looked at the time. "Holy shit! Its almost 6." I jump out of bed making Bullet look up from his paws while Merle looks at me confused. "Come on Kane, Daddy's gonna be here soon to pick you up." Kane nods his head before walking into the living room. I make sure everything that goes home with Kane was already packed and by the door with his stroller. I grabbed his shoes from the kid's room and place them by the door also.

"Woah would you slow down, Kitten." Merle said as he grabbed my shoulders and stopped me in my tracks.

"No, I gotta get dinner started. If I don't then Chris would think im not eating again and stay here. Not that I mind but I want to spend more time with you." I said the last part while looking down at my red painted toes. Merle lifted up my chin to give me a smirk before nodding his head and stepping away from me.

I quickly got dinner started, spaghetti and meatballs. Merle sits at the island watching me cook. I smile at him as I moved around the kitchen. A knocked sounded before the door opened. Bullet ran up and jumped Chris as he walked through the door. "Daddy!" Kane ran up and crashed into Chris's leg. I smile at my brother and kiss his cheek. Chris gives me a look and I smile brighter. "My dinner's being cooked right now. Chris nodded before patting my head. I gave Merle a look and he nods his head, staying where he was in the kitchen. I walk Chris and Kane down stairs and to Chris's pickup truck. I buckled Kane in and kissed his cheek. "I love you, Kane."

"I love you too, Auntie."

I smiled at his baby messed up words and hugged him. I turn to his father when Chris stopped behind me. I hugged Chris around his waist and placed my chin on his chest, looking up at him. "I love you, big brother."

Chris patted his heart before dropping a kiss onto my forehead. He gently pushes me up stairs before climbing into his truck. I walked inside with my arms crossed over my chest. I always wanted to hear my brother's voice but was never able to. Before I was born, Mom got into a car accident with Matt and Chris. A piece of glass was sticking out of his neck, cutting his vocal chords. Making my older brother forever be mute.

Making my way into my apartment, I saw Merle laying on the couch with Bullet laying on the floor in front of it. One of Merle's hands was behind his head while his other was dangling off the couch and on top of Bullet's head. Merle's eyes were closed but his breathing wasn't steady.

"Can your brother talk?"

I walked into the kitchen to turn off the flames and finish dinner. "Not anymore." I place the now finished food in two bowls and grabbed forks. I took out two cans of soda and walked into the living room. Merle was now sitting up on the couch and he made sure he wasn't about to step on Bullet before planting his feet onto the floor. I climbed up next to him, where he was just lying and sat criss- cross. I handed Merle his meal and dug into mine.

Dinner was ate in in comfortable silence. Once I was done I placed my empty bowl onto the coffee table before cuddling up to Merle. I lay my head down on his thigh and curl up into a ball. I pull the cream throw blanket off the back of the couch and cover myself up. Merle places his bowl next to mine before propping his feet up onto the coffee table and grabbed the remote for the TV. He puts on some hunting show. I picked at the holes in his jeans and poke at the skin showing cause of them. We stay like this for hours, not talking at all and just enjoyed each other's company.

I let out a yawn before shifting around. I close my eyes and let out another yawn.

"Stay the night, please." I whispered the words to Merle before going to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chloe's oufit