Status: One Shot

Lost Time

1/1

Addison masked the sun from her eyes as she made her way down the beach. The sun was beaming down on her which made it hard to find her friends. Addison was back in Ottawa for the summer. She hadn't been back home since she moved away for college three years ago.

"Addison!" She turned around to see her best friend Mikayla waving at her like a crazy person. She quickly back tracked to where her group was. "I missed you Addy," Mikayla said while wrapping her arms around her best friend.

"I missed you too! It's been a long time."

"This is why you should come home more," Mikayla sat back down on her beach towel before lecturing her friend. "You up and left three years ago. For what? Was it because you could never tell him?"

Addison's eyes widened when one of her other best friends was mentioned. "You know exactly why I went. It was right for me."

"Funny how you were going to Florida but you changed your mind last minute."

Addison had heard that from everyone who knew about her situation. She had applied to the University of Miami and gotten into medicine. The program was promising and she couldn't wait to get to Florida. That was until he was drafted to the Panthers. Erik Gudbranson was Addison's best friend. That was until Addison fell in love with him and he fell in love with the head cheerleader. Addison quickly changed her plans and moved to the University of South California. She had never heard the end of it.

"Don't even go there. I have had enough of that one."

"You have had enough of it because you know you chickened out."

"Who chickened out of what?" A deep voice asked behind Addison. She slowly turned around and her brown eyes locked with his hazel ones.

"Shit!" Addison muttered under her breath. "Hey Erik!"

"Addy, how have you been?"

"Busy. But great."

"I bet. You were always too busy to come back for the summer," Erik's eyes were baring down on her. She wondered if he could see right through her.

"Medical school is a handful. I just started my residency at a children's hospital," Silenced echoed on the crowded beach. "How have you been?"

"Busy with hockey, but I still find time to visit home."

Addison nervously tucked a piece of brown hair behind her ear. "Well, I'm going to start tanning!"

"Yeah, i heard they don't get a lot of sun in California!" Erik called as she walked away to lay down her towel.

As the day dragged on Addison stayed glued to her towel. She hadn't spoken to Mikayla because she was pissed. What kind of friend doesn't warn her about him coming? She had also stuck to her towel to avoid Erik. There was so much history between them and she didn't want to deal with it. That was partly why she left so abruptly in the first place.

"I brought you a beer."

Addison snapped out of her day dream and peered up at Erik. She grabbed the beer he was holding out for her and opened it instantly.

"Rough day?" He chuckled when he noticed her eagerness.

"You have no idea," She took a long sip from the can. He was staring at her waiting for some sort of explanation. "My mom has been grilling me all day. All of this 'why did you have to go so far?' crap again."

Erik nodded and looked out at the water. "Why did you go so far?"

Addison sighed. "It's a good school. I had to do this for myself," There was that deafening silence again. "Look, I don't want to talk about this here. Do you want to go back to the cabin I rented?"

Erik nodded and helped her pack up her belongings. They silently made their way back to her cabin. There was the occasional comment about how great the lake looked or how hot it was this summer, but nothing else. Once back at her cabin Addison went straight for the wine.

"Do you want some?" She gestured to the bottle of red wine. Erik nodded so she grabbed a second glass. "Here ya go," She handed him the glass. Their fingers brushed but she quickly pulled hers away.

"So, why has today been so rough for you?" He asked finally breaking the awkward silence.

"Everyone thinks that I left because I had a crush on you. They figure that I couldn't handle seeing you with her."

"Did you?"

"Did I what?"

"Have a crush on me?" Erik demanded. He had suddenly switched from joking to serious.

"Why does that matter? It's not like you would have wanted me," Tears burned her eyes.

"I did want you! You didn't want me!" He shouted before setting her glass down and standing up.

"You had her! Perfect blonde, skinny, ditzy, cheerleader!" Addison screamed.

"Don't you realize that I was only with her because I couldn't have you."

"Why couldn't you have me? I obviously wanted to be with you! You dated her because it was easy!"

"I dated her because you would never date a guy like me. All I have to offer is hockey. I'm not smart, I wasn't going anywhere but to the NHL."

Addison stood up from her chair and walked over to Erik who was now pacing.

"You have so much to offer. You are smart, and kind, and you are a wonderful person to everyone you meet."

Before Addison knew what was going on, his lips were on hers. After the shock wore off she wrapped her arms around his neck. He deepened the kiss before she pulled away.

"What was that for?" She whispered.

"I still want you."

"Really?"

"I want to be with you."

"Well I guess I could stick around for the summer." She whispered back to him before leaning in for another kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a one shot for insomniatic dreams. She was one of my contest winners and this actually took me months. i suck and I am sorry. Editing may have been bad, I am home sick so who knows what I missed. Thanks for reading!