The Day You Fell Apart

Chapter 17

Going out to breakfast with your friends is fun. Going out to breakfast with your stupid sort of ex boyfriend and his fellow hung-over companions is not so much fun. Dee decided that it’d be a really good idea to have all of us go out to breakfast when we woke up this morning. I told her what Jonah said to me last night, and for some reason she took it as a good thing, and convinced herself (me, not so much) that we should all continue to hang out to get to the bottom of what Jonah was doing. But to be honest, I just wanted to go home and wean myself slowly out of the ‘I love Jonah’ stage. I was so over his little games and his little antics that came with no explanations. He’s not cheating on me and ignoring me because he loves me. He’s doing all of this because he’s an ass hole. That’s it. Nothing else.

We all walked into IHOP lazily. No one really wanted to be here except Dee, but I guess somehow she had a crazy persuasive technique and well, here we are. Julia, Seth’s girlfriend was popping her gum loudly while running her fingers through her knotted hair. Seth kept trying to get her attention, but she seemed too busy talking to her friend, Ginger and running her hands through her golden brown hair every two seconds to even notice. Seth finally gave up and began walking with Jonah, Dee and Brad, while I just stayed behind awkwardly. I kept my head down as the hostess led us to our table, and I was planning to sit down last and just get this all over with, until I realized that the only seat left was next to Jonah. I frowned and looked over at Dee, who was just beaming at me, probably excited for her stupid pancakes. I grunted and sat down by Jonah reluctantly.

“You can be a little more excited to sit next to your boyfriend, you know,” Jonah whispered into my ear as everyone else carried on with their own conversations.

“You’re not my boyfriend,” I replied quietly. I didn’t really know what else to say. What girl has a guy basically cheat on her with some slut, and ignore her for two weeks, and still calls him her boyfriend? Seriously.

“Since when did we break up?” Jonah asked and ran his fingers through his hair. I guess him and Julia should get together and form a club since they love to play with their damn hair so much.

“Jonah, I don’t want to hear this right now. Leave me alone for the rest of this stupid breakfast, and then after that, I’m asking you not to ever talk to me again. This time I won’t be waiting for you to call because I won’t be expecting it. So less weight on your shoulders, alright? Consider all of the strings that were once attached, cut down. Now stop speaking to me. You’re pretty good at that anyways.”

Jonah just shrugged indifferently and leaned in dangerously close to me. I tried my best to keep my eyes straight forward, and noticed that Dee was watching us in the corner of her eye. I don't really know what side she's on anymore. Is she on the ‘Show Jonah what a jerk he is' side or ‘Get Jonah and Jill back together’ side? Because right now, I’m not so sure.

Jonah leaned in even closer and kissed my temple slowly and then moved his lips to my ear. His hand slowly moved forward and rested itself onto my upper thigh.

“You know, the last time you told me not to talk to you, it didn’t work out so well. You can’t get rid of me that easily,” He whispered and then kissed my upper jaw. I just coughed loudly which caused him to lean back and smirk.

“How funny of you to say that, because you can obviously get rid of me with a snap of your fingers, can’t you? Isn’t that what you’re trying to do?” I replied and stood up from the table, causing everyone to look up at me. “I’m sorry. I just need to go. Excuse me,” I said to all of them.

I quickly grabbed my purse, and stomped out of the IHOP in the same stupid outfit I was wearing last night. I didn’t know how I was getting home, taken that Dee took me to the party, and took all of us here, but whatever. Once I opened the doors, I walked out towards the parking lot and kicked a rock, which flew and hit the side of a car which caused its alarm to go off.

“Shit,” I muttered and kind of stood there not really knowing what to do. I heard the restaurant doors open behind me, and I was expecting to see some crazy old man with his car keys in his hands ready to turn off the alarm and scream his head off at me, but instead Jonah approached me with his hands stuffed in his pockets. “God, can you just leave me alone?!” I yelled over the ‘wee-oos’ of the obnoxious car. Jonah stepped forward and I took a step back.

“Stop it,” He said sternly.

“No!” I yelled, “You stop it! Stop messing with my head! Stop messing with my heart, Jonah!” The car alarm seemed to get even louder, which got me even more annoyed with this whole situation. Jonah stepped closer to me again, but I didn’t move back this time, mainly because I knew it would be pointless, and I was just fed up with all of this. I’ve never felt so defeated and confused in my life. I’ve never felt so angry and on edge in my whole entire life. I have never felt so many emotions at once, ever, besides right now. Jonah stepped closer to me again, until he was looking down at me with a sympathetic look on his face. Great, cool, he feels sorry for me now when he completely fucks me up. Awesome.

Jonah extended his arm and wrapped it around my waist, pulling me too him, while I just shook my head in defiance. Unfortunately, my body wasn’t cooperating with that defiance because I just let him pull me to him. I just let him grab my head and kiss me. And I just let myself kiss him back. I let my guard down, once again, for a guy that shouldn’t be doing what he’s doing. I’m just as bad as him. And with that final thought, I pushed him off of me and turned around as quick as I could to walk away.

“Jill, please wait. Please,” Jonah said while walking after me. "I'm doing this for a reason, wait."

“Oh please. I’m tired of waiting for you to grow up, Jonah,” I replied over my back. I fastened my steps and lifted my hand to touch my lips. I hated that I still felt that tingly feeling after he'd kiss me. I hated the fact that he could make me feel like I'm floating on air with just one simple touch. But what I hate most of all, is how no matter how hard I tried, I could never understand that boy.

Once I made it to a nearest bus stop to wait for the bus, I dug my hands into my pockets only to feel a crinkled piece of paper that was sunk to the bottom. I grabbed it and opened it to see Tommy’s name and his number under it. I remember him giving his number to me saying that if I ever needed to make Jonah jealous again, to just give him a call. But right now I was over stooping down to Jonah’s level. All I want is a guy who won’t treat me like this. Tommy treated me so nice that whole night, even when he knew that I was using him.

I flipped open my cell phone quickly and dialed Tommy’s number. It rang a few times before he picked up.

“Hello?” He asked in his deep voice and I knew right then that sure, I won’t love Tommy like I do Jonah, but I’d rather have a guy who’d treat me right, than a guy that’d treat me like dirt under his shoes. And that was my final decision.

“Tommy, it’s Jill from last night. What are you doing right now?”