Status: completed

A Beautiful Night With a Stranger

Chapter 1

June 18, 2000
“You slept with her?” A million thoughts were going through my mind as he nodded, tears coming down his face. The thought of us no longer being together scared me. It was unfathomable. We had been best friends since pre-k. And eventually that friendship turned into love. We had been dating since we were fourteen, and now fours years later he was just going to end it? NO. We were supposed to be together forever. NO. He can’t cheat on me. I was supposed to depend on him when people failed me. What are you supposed to do when your rock falls on you? “I have to go,” I said faintly as I walked away into the warm Chicago night. “Have a good life Sam!” I yelled over my shoulder. Then I ran.
I didn’t care where I was going. I just had to get out of there. My lungs felt like they were about to burst. My thighs were burning. But I didn’t care. I enjoyed the pain. It was a distraction. I felt that the faster I ran, the more I could distance myself from my problem. But with every step I took, I just knew running away wasn’t going to work. Time to face reality girl, you are on your own.
I slowed to a walk. I looked around me. Not recognizing my surroundings. A glowing sign caught my eye advertising a bar. So if running away from my problem won’t work then maybe drinking can…nah everyone knows it can’t but right now I don’t care. I’m getting a drink. But wait, I’m only eighteen. Well fuck it. It’s worth a try. I walked in. There were a few men near the entrance. They whistled as I walked in. Ugh scumbags. I walked up to the bar and ordered my drink. The barman took a look at my tan legs that were exposed by my short cut off shorts. “This one’s on the house sweetheart.” I nodded weakly. Wow he didn’t even card me. I gotta get the name to this place.
By the end of the hour I was down to about my fourth drink. I wasn’t drunk at this point but I was definitely feeling very nice. I had this warm fuzzy feeling in my tummy. The one you get right before you feel the alcohol kicking in. I sat there at the bar with my eyes closed, enjoying the feeling. All of a sudden I heard someone sit in the chair next to me. I was annoyed. Like really out of all empty seats at the bar you had to choose this one? I swear if this guy dare talks to me…
“Hey Frank, buy this young lady a drink on me.” The barman nodded and poured me another drink. I turned to look at the man who had bought me the drink, but he was already walking away. I couldn’t see his face but I saw that he was wearing a leather jacket and black jeans. Cute ass I thought. He disappeared on the dance floor before I could see his face. Thanks, stranger I thought to myself. All of a sudden I heard the familiar guitar rough of “Smells Like Teen Spirit” the crowd cheers. Oh shit that’s my song. Everyone starts head banging and going crazy on the dance floor. I get up and walk to the middle of the dance floor. I stare up at the ceiling with my eyes closed and let the music take me away. Pretty soon I’m dancing and let the music take away all my worries and pain. I forget about my abusive childhood, being bullied at school, Sam breaking my heart. It all goes away and I feel a moment of peace. The song is over. Everyone claps. I open my eyes to find a pair of beautiful green eyes staring at me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello to whoever reads this. I haven't written in a long time so I'm trying to get the hang of it again. Sorry if it's crappy.