Status: Kind words are always appreciated.

Second Chances

Uncommon Ground

The bang of the gunshot, the blood on the floor, the blood smeared on his hands and clothes, her cries, agonizing screams, the sound of her last ragged breath pierced his ears.

You bastard, murderer. You killed her. He could hear the man sneering at him. He put his hands on his ears, trying to block all the voices and the images that came, flooding his mind. He was sweating and shaking, something that came with the frightening memories.

“Excuse me?” a soft, beautiful voice penetrated the strangled cries and tormenting screams as he slowly raised his head to see the person who had taken the painful memories away by just to words.

“Hmm?” he managed as he looked at the girl standing beside him. The shining moon was doing wonders to her fair, creamy skin. The light breeze played with her curled brown cascade of hair as her lips turned into a small, timid, almost reserved but dazzling smile.

“Can I…um, use your phone?” she asked and it brought him back to the world. He narrowed his eyes at her, “You don’t have one?” he asked skeptically, waiting for her answer though he was sure that everyone nowadays had phone with them. He had seen five years old with a phone, for God sake’s.

“I do,” she said quickly, “but it’s dead and my friend just disappeared,” she said, looking around, “and I really have to make a very important call,” she told him, looking back at him.

She looked so innocent that he reached for his pocket and took out his phone, something which he never did. He was a star, after all and everyone was after his number. “There,” he mused as he handed it to her.

“Wow,” she said absently as she weighed the phone in her hand. She would have a good phone too…if she had a good job, she thought dryly. Holding it made her feel special, not that she was materialistic but it was really pretty and was probably new by the looks of it. She was a very technology oriented person but of course that changed, once everything changed.

“I’ll just be a minute,” she said as she turned away.

“You’re not planning on running with it, are you?” Nate asked, trying to lift himself up. He had also never seen such a reaction over a cell phone. It made him wonder, what kind of phone did she had? Why couldn’t she have the one she liked, if she liked his? How did she get in there? He had never seen her before and who was this important person she needed to make this urgent call to?

“What?” she looked at him wide eyed, startled at the thought. Why the hell she would run away with his cell phone. “No, no. Why would I? I just…” she stopped when he started to chuckle.

“I was only messing with you,” he raised his hands in surrender and waved it towards her, “Take your time, please.”

“Oh,” she said embarrassed, berating herself for stupidity and jumping to conclusion. She used to be a fun person but now…well, she couldn’t say that anymore. She couldn’t handle a joke properly and it had nothing to do with the fact that he was gorgeous. She didn’t date much and didn’t liked men in general but it never meant that she could not appreciate the hot looks.

He smiled at the blush that crept into her cheeks as she turned away. Was it just him or did she look adorably sexy with that embarrassed look. Snap out of it, he admonished himself. He didn’t need anything like that after Stacey but he couldn’t help himself as his eyes made their way back to where she was standing.

It was then, he noticed another cell phone in her left hand. He leaned forward on his spot to look at it clearly and knitted his eyebrows in confusion when understanding dawned upon him. Great, she just played him. So very typical of girls, finding a way to take his number and then, she’ll probably annoy him all night asking him out or professing her undying love for me and if still didn’t agree, she’ll threaten him with a suicide.

He shrugged, that was his life and now, he’ll have to change his number again, he thought dejectedly but he had to admit, she was pretty smooth with the whole act and what a great actor she’ll make.

“Thank you,” she said, smiling as she handed him a cell phone back. He nodded as he took it with a smile and shook his head in disbelief.
A nice person, she thought would have said, ‘You’re welcome’ instead of shaking his head at her like that but she shrugged the matter off. She turned to leave when he spoke. “It was pretty smooth,” he complimented.

“Pardon?” she spun on her heels, taking a firm tone but confusion was evident on it.

“Typical, but very smooth,” he continued, ignoring her crossed her arms and a frown of confusion on her face, “And the acting…so natural. You could make a career in that,” he said amused but there was no denying the hard edge to it. He hated the girls who did that sort of thing.

“I’m sorry but I can’t follow you,” she said, unsure of what he was talking about. Maybe, he mixed her up with someone else.

“Of course, you can’t follow me but…that’s why you took the number,” he shrugged and stared at her.

She gasped as his words settled in. He thought, she was taking his number…probably to call him later and…

“Why would I want your number? I don’t even know you,” she defended herself in a calm, cool tone.

“Ouch. Words hurt,” he said as he pressed his hand to his heart.

Grace took a step forward, “Look, I don’t know you and I don’t know why you think that I took your number. I just had to make an important call,” she waved her hand to make a point. Do people do that anyway? She thought.

“Sure, you did,” he shrugged indifferently. He couldn’t stop himself for aggravating her further and he knew, indifference to her explanation would do just that. She looked wonderful when angry and man, was she angry now?

She opened her mouth but then closed it again. The guy was clearly delusional and she was not going to waste any time, trying to convince him when it was evident that he wouldn’t listen.

Seeing her leaving, just like that…he was surprised. She was giving up. Somehow, she didn’t look like the type who would do that. He took her for a woman who would stand up for herself. He didn’t even realize when he decided that but the words were out before he could think or contemplate about them, “Oh, it’s nothing to be embarrassed about. Girl’s do that all the time,” he smirked, waiting for her to turn back. Come on, now, he thought.

Ughh…she couldn’t stand male population at all and of course, she had to meet all the jerks that this world had to offer, “Who the hell do you think you are?” she snapped, raising her voice as she turned back and zeroed her gaze on him.

Why did he had to be so gorgeous? The moonlight gave a silvery glint to his blue eyes and his midnight black hair which were ruffled, giving him a bad boyish look and that smirk…she wanted to slap away that smirk from his pretty face.

She was also annoyed that he broke her otherwise calm demeanor. She was never the one with snapping and raising her voice. She was the kind that glared and pinned you down by her cold glaze.

“It’s funny, you asked,” he stood up from the concrete slab he had been sitting on, “since you’ve only been staring at me and my friggin’ utter perfection since you came in here.” Was it even possible that his smirk just grew? He was sure, she was playing. It was his movie premier and she was here. Of course, she knew him.

Grace blinked a few times and her brows reached her hairline, “You’re so full of yourself,” she simply stated, refusing to show her irritation and anger that was riling up. She knew, with a guy like him, he would only be encouraged by it.

He scoffed, “It’s called confidence,” he shrugged.

“No,” she stepped forward, “It’s called over confidence,” she crossed her arms.

He was not used to that attitude from girls and it was so refreshing though he knew it was all fake. At least, his fan was playing hard to get and not throwing herself on him, which was revitalising. When did his life became such shit? He thought, he found it refreshing but he was immensely enjoying their silly exchange of words. He had never done that since…Jake…since so long.

“Oh, you think I know what you’re doing here,” he pointed his finger at her, bobbing his head with it, his devilish smile still in place. Grace shrugged and shook her head, “You’re playing hard to get,” Nate replied with a shrug of his own.

“Seriously, I don’t know who you are and I’m not playing anything. And I’m especially not playing anything with you,” she said sternly and wondered, why was she putting up with him? Why didn’t she just leave? It was not like he was going to duct tape her to the bench and annoy the hell out of her.

“Bummer, I was looking forward to it,” he said like a child denied of candy and Grace rolled her eyes, “But,” he continued and raised his finger, his smirk returning, “You can play anything with me,” he winked, “I’m sure, you’ll enjoy playing with me,” he suggested seductively in a low, husky voice.

Her heart flipped in her chest, hitching her breath as he leaned in slightly, “I know, I will,” he whispered close to her face, his blue eyes boring into hers as a shiver ran down her spine, reverberating through her body.

This was wrong. So wrong. It was wrong on so many levels, she knew it for a fact. She was sure, thing like that didn’t affect her, she had made sure of it when she left her old life behind but this gorgeous arrogant was dissolving the tough fibre in her body and she didn’t like it one bit.
In fact, she hated it, hated him and hated herself. How could her damn body betray her like this after Jason? After everything she had been through?

“Emma Grace Carter,” Scarlet’s voice boomed across the open area, snapping at Grace’s thoughts as she gasped and turned around to see a very angry Scarlet almost charging on her, her red heels in her hand.

As much as Grace was surprised to see her now, given the fact that she looked for her for so long, she was stunned when the gorgeous, irritating blue eyed arrogant stepped in with her, his shoulders rigid and hands fisted at his sides, prepared to fight.

She was somehow, pleased with it and she cursed her traitorous body and wretched hormones but soon it gave way to horror when she realized, Scarlet had used her full name. No one knew that and she was intent on keeping that way. She was Grace now, not Emma. She left Emma dead that day though it’s a different story that she still haunted her.

“Do you know how long I’ve been looking for your sorry ass?” she screamed at Grace who looked calm and cool taking her blaring rage. She knew, Scarlet wouldn’t listen to her until she didn’t get that out of her system.

When Scarlet silenced and took a deep breath. Grace spoke, “What happened?” she asked with a frown. She liked the outfit and then she saw the red shoes again. Scarlet would never take her heels off, even if it meant end of the world…or a Zombie apocalypse.

Scarlet groaned, “That bastard. It’s all his fault,” she grinded her teeth together, “It’s all his fault. He threw a drink at me…intentionally, that…bloody monster and ruined my dress and I fell, Gracie. Fell…like in front of everyone and broke my damn…” she drifted off and inhaled sharply, finally paying attention to the guy standing beside Grace.

“Nate Adams?” She almost squealed but contained it in. Nate Adams…Grace thought, she had heard his name before and then it hit her…Oh my gosh, it was his movie that she had come to see which she obviously hadn’t. It was a romantic comedy and she wanted to puke. She had busied herself with her cell phone, cleaning her inbox and checking email.

“Hello, Scarlet,” he acknowledged her with a smile and nod.

Scarlet wanted to jump. He knew her name, she was going crazy. She had been at the set a lot and had seen Nate many times but this close was something different. She would’ve asked for his autograph when she was doing an internship but that bastard she hated, Zack was always with him and she tried to avoid running into him. Thinking of him just ruined the moment, Nate or no Nate, she hated his friend.

“Your friend is a sore loser,” she said pointing her finger at him, “and you can tell him that I said so. He’s also pathetic and a lousy excuse…”
“Scarlet,” Grace called her in the same unattached sound but it clicked something in Scarlet as she stopped herself and frowned, knowing how Grace hated her acting like this.

“No need to pull Mom on her,” Nate looked at Grace and smirked, “And I’m sorry on behalf of my friend’s behaviour,” Nate swept his hand as he took on a total English gentlemanly manner and tone, “I’ll be sure to forward your message to him.”

Scarlet curtsied him, her neck rigid and held high as there was a rod stuck there and Grace made a face at her, shaking her head. “Why, thank you, Sir,” Scarlet smiled sweetly at him and he chuckled. It was a deep and rich sound, filling the night silence with warmth.

“There’s an after party too. Would you join us there?” he asked Scarlet politely who nodded her head like someone offered a child a free ride at a theme park. Nate nodded, “I’ll let Zack make the arrangements for you two. I’m sure, he’ll be thrilled.”

“Sure, thrilled?” Scarlet snorted and rolled her eyes.

“You said, arrangements for two?” Grace knitted her eyebrows.

“Uh, yes. You and your friend,” He looked at her skeptically.

“I can’t come,” Grace said, “I have to go home.”

“Gracie, please,” And there was Scarlet again, Grace thought.

“No,” Grace replied sternly, “You know, I can’t.”

“Boyfriend?” Nate raised his eyebrows. That must be the reason she wanted to go home so urgently.

“Uh, yeah,” Grace nodded, “Ok, bye. Have fun,” Grace gave Scarlet a quick hug and turned to leave.

Scarlet decided to leave with Grace but Nate spoke up, “Call me,” he winked, “You obviously have my number.”

Grace didn’t turn back, she just shook her head and rolled her eyes, knowing well he was just messing with her but Scarlet changed her mind. Why would he ask Grace to call him? How did they exchanged phone numbers? What the hell happened? And she was excited too, for Grace. It would do her wonders if she would move on and forget whatever happened with Jason.

“What call?” she asked.

Nate looked at her and smiled, “Can’t tell. How can I be sure, you don’t take the gossip to the next tabloid?” he shrugged, “Gotta be careful,” he said amused.

“She’s my friend. I wouldn’t do that to her,” Scarlet replied offended at the statement.

“Uh, well. I’m sorry,” he said, “It’s just, she came to me and asked for my cell phone. She wanted my number because she just saw my movie and thought it was amazing. I thanked her for her kind words. A very nice person, your friend,” he looked at her, his eyes gleaming. This was so much fun, fabricating…now, he knew why magazines threw in all stuff about him.

“It doesn’t sound like her,” Scarlet said, deep in thought, walking towards the main entrance.

“Well, I don’t know. I’m just saying because you asked. She said it would be nice to hang out sometime,” he shrugged and laughed internally, “So, where does she live?” he asked, looking at Scarlet. He had a whole night to phish out information from her and he had no idea why he wanted it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the late update guys. I know I made you all wait for so long but I updated a long one. :)
Also, I'll try to update again soon. I'm just busy with my other story but it's almost ending and then, I'll give all my time to this one.

Subscribe/Comment/Recommend. It would mean a lot. Thanks for reading and please, do comment. <3