Status: Please Bear With Us... We both have jobs to work too!

Causing Havoc; As Time Moves On...

Home again!

I rolled to a stop in the abandoned car park, noticing the blue tape sectioning off the tree and a small area around it. I stepped out onto the tarmac and double locked my car. My car wasn’t anything special, but I know this area well, the people around here wouldn’t think twice about taking it. I walked across the grass, feeling it sink under my step, the fresh rain making the earth soft, peering over the blue tape the bodies had been removed but their aura’s remained. I could tell they weren’t immortals, which either means Guardian has slipped, it’s just a coincidence or it’s a trap. I really hope it’s a coincidence, Guardian slipping would mean he’s suicidal and a trap would be bad for everyone. Not that a suicidal Guardian is any better. I walked away, back to my car, contemplating what had happened here. I mindlessly drove down the far too familiar streets and slipped into a parking spot on the road and got out. I walked to the door of a house and walked in without thinking. I went to sit on the sofa and woke from my daze when I hit the floor instead. I stood up, shaking my brain awake. I looked around the empty room and took in the smell of dust, the look of the peeling wallpaper and the sound of the creaky doors from upstairs that were blowing in the breeze. I knew this house. In my daze I had found myself coming back to our old safe house, this was where Guardian and I would come when we had a tough puzzle to solve. Or when we needed to hide.
I walked through the house slowly, quietly and ready. I was looking for people and traps… who knew what had happened to this place when I left. At the end of the upstairs hall was a room I never dared to go in when I lived here. Guardian’s private room. The room he “slept” in, the room he kept his things. Gingerly I pushed open the door and peeped in as the light crept in. I tip-toed in and instantly noticed why it was so dark, I tore the heavy curtain from the blacked out window and let the light hit the walls, in what most likely the first time in many years.
“Wow!” I sighed out with a long breath. This place was creepier in the light. It was bigger than it looked. It was empty apart from a single mattress, and a dust covered envelope. I sat down on the mattress and watched the dust escape in little puffs and dance around the room like over joyed little children. I sighed. It had been so long since I had any contact with immortals. I picked up the envelope and blew away the dust, hoping, praying this was from Guardian.
‘Plague’
This was not Guardian’s hand writing. It was far too neat. It had obviously been sat here a while. I opened it up and pulled out the paper from inside.
‘Dearest Plague,
I hope you find this in time. I have been with The Higher’s for a while now, but my loyalties lie with you, this is why I hope you read this before their plan starts.
On the 5th October they plan to kill two people and leave them on the tree your parents were killed on in order to lure you back home, back to Guardian. You’ve been apart for too long and they know you both are stronger apart, they know your weakness is each other. Once you have read this, leave. Get out of town and don’t come back! Please. For your own safety. Don’t try to contact Guardian, or me for that matter.
Your dear friend,
L’
I hadn’t seen Locust in many years, and Guardian barely knew him. He was someone I had met on a job, and I saved him rather than killing him. He had been in the wrong place at the wrong time and since then we became friends. At one point I was closer to him than I was Guardian, which is why Guardian barely knew him. I spent more time with Locust and was with him the day The Higher’s recruited him. He accepted a position with them because he knew he could make a difference, and he did. But not for long. His mind warped. We thought working that close to The Higher’s can change who you are, but not completely.
I sighed, how long had this letter been here, I skimmed his words once more before noticing the date he had written in the letter. ‘5th October.’ Today was the 7th, those people were killed 2 days ago… just like he wrote. I heard car doors slam shut from outside and two voices I hadn’t heard before, but could instantly place started joking with each other. These two voices were The Higher’s henchmen.
“Did you hear about F squad?” Voice number one must have been a high powered Haitian man before he turned. I could tell by the subtle accent his voice still held. His voice was also deep and husky.
“They’re all dead aren’t they?” A young South African replied, his voice laced with crazy undertones. This one’s been immortal for a long time, you only get crazy after many centuries.
“Yep. Murdered! They were sent after that bastard who lived here, he killed them all, and one of his own.”
“Oh shit!” I muttered under my breath. I leapt from the window and into a nearby garden. I hopped a few fences before reaching a street. I ran, knowing there was only one place to go. It was too late. I was here now, their plan had already started and there was no way to stop it. I had to tell Guardian. He could be anywhere, but I knew one person who would know. I jumped onto a bus, knowing that if I ran I would arouse suspicion and I had to stay quiet. The bus was the fastest quiet way to get around.
I stepped through the main doors and looked around, this place had changed. One thing remained. Mario’s Tape. An immortal who owned a tailor shop, he catered to mortal and immortal alike. Guardian only wore Mario’s clothes so he would never stray too far from this little town. I bounded up the stairs and walked towards the shop when I saw a man sat outside, he was clutching his side and I could tell he was hurt, but mortals wouldn’t notice. Slowly I stepped towards the man, doing my best to stay quiet.
“G…Gu…Guardian? Is… Is that you?” I whispered, knowing if it was Guardian, he would hear me.
“Plague?!” His exclamation gave away his emotions, for the first time ever! He was relieved and scared and excited all at the same time.
“Hey.”
“Wh...What are you doing here?”
“Well, two people were murdered and left on the tree. I assumed it was you. I went to the old house and found out that it was a trap. Two of The Higher’s henchmen were there, they said you killed a bunch of The Higher’s men, and one of your own?” I couldn’t bear to tell him how I came to find out it was a trap. If he asked id have to tell him something else. He doesn’t trust Locust since he accepted a role with them.
“B...But I don’t understand. Why are you here if it’s a trap?”
“It’s too late to stop it. Might as well stay and help you fight!”
“Right, well lets go out back and we’ll sort this out. I’m sure Mario will want to know you’re back!”