Flashbackの音符: Forever Played in My Mind

FLASHBACKの♪ Forever played in my mind

"Presenting the amazing Nitsunaaaa Yuyaaaa-chan,-an,-an!" Kouki called out, imitating an announcer complete with the dramatic echo. The entire studio erupted in laughter, much to the amusement of his own band members. "The sweet li'l innocent seventeen-year-old angel with a voice to match~" Reika chimed in. A young woman with long, raven-colored hair with crimson highlights in all the right places had just walked into the rehearsal hall with a guitar case slung over her shoulder. "Ah, are you here to replace Ibuki?" Hikaru asked, smirking at the lead guitarist. He only rolled his eyes in return.

"Ah, no..." she spoke with her head down. "I'm just here to rehearse a few songs... I didn't know that you guys were here as well." She made a small bow in attempt to apologize for her early arrival. She had initially met the D=OUT members once at a live house, during a festival of sorts with about ten other bands. They were still very indie at that time, and she had just barely came back to Japan from America to start her own musical career. It seemed like such a long time ago...

"Oh, we're just finishing up. This studio will be all yours sooner than you think." Minase waved to the girl. The two bowed to each other in understanding. Yuya then turned to walk over to a stool set at the sound board, stopped short of it, laid down the guitar case and took out a perfectly polished Gibson acoustic guitar. "You play..?" Ibuki asked with sudden interest.

"Not too much, but I manage somehow.." she spoke softly as she slung the guitar strap over her shoulder and sat on the stool. She played a shaky C chord. Ibuki winced. "I'd say you probably need a few lessons..." he said, with a half-smile. 'At least a few lessons..' he thought to himself.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Not too long after their initial meeting (well without people rushing around on a tight schedule due to a live), Ibuki and Yuya had set a couple of days out of the week just for the purpose of guitar lessons. Yuya was feeling more and more confident after each lesson had came and went. As always, she sat in the chair across from Ibuki and his own guitar to start the lessons.

"Are you ready, Yuya-chan?" he asked, grinning. "This might be a little difficult for you to pull off, but..." he reached into a folder in his duffel back, placed at the foot of his own chair, and brought out a couple of sheets of paper. He handed them to the raven-haired girl and her eyes widened. The title across the top read as "Sunrise".

"Isn't this one of Dauto's own songs??" she asked curiously.

"Yes it is.. Do you know how it goes..?" he questioned. She nodded in response.

"It's one of my favorite songs.. but it is far too difficult for me to try.." she shook her head.

"It's not that difficult.. at least Hikaru's part isn't." he chuckled. "Why don't you sing it instead?" he asked, giving a warm smile to the girl. Her heart skipped a beat.

"I suppose I could..." she held her head down as he began an acoustic rendition of her favorite song. "Jump in when you're ready.." he whispered. She opened her mouth and a lovely voice spilled out.

machi ni hikari ga sashi kon deku meshimase amai kajitsu
atodore kurai kono keshiki wo mukaereru darou

tatoe sekai ga owarou tomo tada anata to itai dake
daremo karemo urayamu koko ga rakuen na no sa

nami uchi kiwa wo atenishite keikai na kodou to supiido de
minami he mukaeba...

They continued the duet to the end of the song and the last note resonated in the room. "Now if only Kouki had that kind of voice.." he chuckled, muting the strings of the guitar with his hand. Yuya looked at him in blank confusion.

"You mean you don't like Kouki's voice..?" The man burst into laughter.

"To be honest, I think I was trying to complement you, dear." he stated with a grin. "Kouki's voice is nice for the music we play, but your singing voice..." he trailed off, trying to think of the next word to say. His eyes trailed down to her mismatched over-the-knee socks. "You do have a similar sense of style as Kouki, though." he chuckled, slightly changing the subject. Yuya blushed profusely and lowered her head to hide the sudden change in her fair complexion; Her cheeks almost matched the main color of her shirt. She couldn't think of anything more to say to him, so instead she fumbled with the safety pins and chains on the black tie stylishly placed around her neck. She unconsciously crossed her legs and smoothed out the single tier of ruffles on her matching skirt.

"I had fun..." he started to say, but soon looked like he regret the words. Why did it always seem like the first sentence after a moment of silence was the most awkward..? Ibuki let go of his guitar and ran one of his left hand through his light blond and dark brown hair.

"I did, too..." she replied hesitantly. He looked like he had another question.. She tried to think of something... ANYTHING to add to the seemingly dead conversation. "So how do you like the weather lately..?" she finally asked. 'Way to go, Yuya.. Of all things to ask him about... The weather..? Lame...' she started to lose hope and mentally kicked herself.

"Oh, the weather? It's nice, I suppose.. We needed some sun with all the rain that's been pouring down lately." he said with a smile.

"That's good... I think it's nice also.." she spoke shyly and tucked a wayward strand of hair behind her ear. Why was she so nervous?? She had never felt so... Unsure of herself!

"Yuya..." he spoke lowly. "I like you..." her eyes widened as she looked up.

"Really??" her confidence had came back in that split second. She felt victorious, but bit at one of her snakebite piercings anyway. "I like you too.." she whispered. He looked relieved.

"Then there's only one thing to do, isn't there?" he spoke softly and leaned in toward the girl, capturing her lips in a sweet kiss. She closed her eyes contently and enjoyed the moment... A sweet memory to look back on for years to come.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*