Unbreakable

(II)- Calling

It had been four years since Pappa Joe's trial and since they had moved to Ireland. The only things that had changed was Emily's age and her relationship status. She was no longer in a relationship... she was engaged. Murphy proposed to her about nine months ago and if he had his way they would have already tied the knot by now, but Emily kept putting it off. She had told him that she wanted to get married in Boston. Although they had been living in Ireland for four years, she still didn't consider it home. Another reason she wanted to get married in Boston was because of Doc; as her father had pasted away, she decided she wanted Doc to walk her down the aisle. She hadn't actually asked him yet which is why she was making a quick trip back to Boston. Murphy was extremely against her going back, especially alone, but after she agreed to only visit Doc and come back, he gave in.

When she arrived at Boston she went straight to McGintys. Doc was as thrilled to see her as she was to see him. She was in hysterics within minutes after four years without any 'Fuck! Ass!' and mixed up proverbs. Emily tried to phone Doc at least twice every month to have a little catch up and make sure he was alright, but it was nowhere near as good as actually seeing him. They talked for hours about Ireland and what's been happening in Boston, Emily keeping the wedding news till last. She was worried he would say no but she'd understand if he did; it was traditionally the father of the brides role and he wasn't even blood related. She finally plucked up the courage to ask but his faces went blank. "I-I d-don't know. I don't w-want to ruin i-it" he said shaking his head slightly. "You won't ruin it?" Emily asked questioningly, unsure of what he meant. He explained that he didn't want to be walking her up the aisle whilst shouting 'Fuck! Ass!' and turn a big moment for the bride to be, into a laughing stock. Emily tried to explain that she didn't care, she wanted him to give her away, but Doc became adamant that he wasn't going to do it. She understood why he wouldn't and loved that he cared so much about hers and Murphy's big day to say no when in all honesty he would have loved to have had the honour. Now Emily had to think of someone else to ask and she couldn't help but wish Rocco was still alive so that he could have done it. With fresh thoughts of Rocco in her head she decided making one quick trip out wouldn't do any harm. "Doc, I'm just popping out for a bit" Emily said putting on her leather jacket. "A-are y-you sure that's a g-good i-idea?" Doc was like the boys in so many ways, all of them over worried. "I won't be long, but if Murphy calls tell him I'm in the shower or something" Emily rushed out the door before Doc could protest further. She wasn't going anywhere in particular, she just walked in what ever direction her feet carried her. It was weird seeing cars and other people because she lived in a rather secluded part of Ireland. Emily found the quietness of Ireland quite tranquil but she also missed the hustle and bustle of south Boston. If you saw her back in Ireland you'd assume she's lived there her whole life. She adapted quickly to her new surroundings and enjoyed nothing more than a morning ride across the open fields on one of their horses. She was excited about marrying Murphy here because if it wasn't for her coming to Boston, they would never have met. Emily started to believe that Rocco was right, the Lord does work in mysterious ways. She had been so caught up in thinking that she hadn't noticed how late it had gotten or that she had found herself at the steps to a church. Something in Emily made her feel that there was a reason for coming to this church, maybe a sign that this is where her and Murphy should wed. Even with her limited amount of belief when it came to God and signs, she decided she couldn't just leave, which is why she went inside in the hopes of talking to the priest. She quickly walked up the stairs and quietly opened the door. She was amazed by the inside, it was amazing. It didn't bring back harsh reminders of the church her fathers funeral was held in, the beauty of it actually making her smile. Although it was dark moonlight still filtered through the windows and lights were on, giving her the impression the priest was still here. She was about to call out to make him aware she had entered but she was silenced by the sudden appearance of a small man exiting the confessional and kicking in the door with the priest inside. Emily ducked behind the pew at the back, closest to the door she just entered and watched as the small man grabbed the terrified priest and dragged with to the centre of the church. Emily didn't know what to do. She knew she wanted to help but she knew making herself visible wouldn't help anyone. She had no weapons or anything she could use to defend herself whereas the small man had two guns which were awfully similar to the ones Murphy and Conner used to use. The small man got the priest on his knees and placed the guns to the back of his head. Emily did the only thing she could think of a grabbed her phone and dialled Greenly's number. Emily didn't even give him a chance to speak, as soon as he picked up she began whispering in a very rushed tone, "Greenly, it's Emily! I need your help. I'm in a church not far from McGintys and some mans about to kill the priest! What do I do?" Emily's eyes began watering as she peeked over the pew to see the priest praying for help. "Emily, don't do anything! Just stay there I'm on-" Emily couldn't catch the last of his sentence as she jumped and dropped her phone at the sound of muffled gun shots and the bullets firing out the priests cheeks. She had to cover both hands over her mouth to stop any sound from coming out. Emily continued to stare, frozen, as the man laid the dead priest flat on his back and crossed over his arms. However it wasn't until he pulled out two pennies and placed them over his eyes that Emily clicked; he was trying to make it look as though it was the boys that killed him. The dropping him to his knees, two guns to the back of his head, the arms crossed, the pennies over the eyes, it was everything that defined 'the saints' killings. Emily could feel the upset and anger building up within her, she wanted to kill him. She frantically looked around her for anything she could you as a weapon but got distracted by her discarded phone, which had fallen under the pew. She picked it up to see Greenly was still on the other line, "Emily! Can you hear me? What's going on?"
"He killed him. The son of a bitch has just killed the priest and I'm hiding like a coward, Greenly I can't just let him walk out of here!" Emily whispered in a pissed off tone, but she was pissed off with herself not Greenly. "No, listen to me. That is exactly what you do, you let him go. I'm five minutes away and I've already called in backup. As soon as he leaves so do you. Get back to Mcginty's, where you was supposed to stay! And I'll come and see you sometime in the morning. Got it?" Emily stayed quiet as she weight up her options. She was a saint, she's supposed to kill evil men and this man defiantly was evil. But she is alone and defenceless and if she died no one would have a clue what the killer looks like, whereas Emily had his face captured perfectly in her head. Not forgetting the fact Murphy would be devastated if he lost her, he often told her how he didn't think he'd be able to live without her. Options weighed, she made up her mind, "yes, I got it." Emily heard foot steps making there way down the aisle and towards the door. She quickly hung up the phone and shuffled quietly under the pew, so he wouldn't see her as he walked past. She waited a few minutes before deciding it was safe to leave.

When she got back to Mcginty's Doc was on the phone. "S-she's n-not," he paused, realising Emily was now behind him. "Oh wait h-here s-she is" he said handing the phone to Emily, no prizes for guessing who it was. "Hello"
"Em, what the hell did we agree! Ye said ye only wanted ta see Doc! Ye could have been killed, Em" Murphy was shouting down the phone to her, but he sounded more worried and concerned instead of angry; although he most defiantly was. "Murph calm down. I'm sorry I went out but I wasn't planning on going far or for that long," Emily stopped for a second, only fully processing what Murphy said. "Wait, what do you mean I could have been killed?"
"Uncle Sibeal came round, said somethin' had happened. Immediately I fuckin' freaked out thinkin' somethin' had happened ta ye an it turns out I was right. What the hell happened?"
"Wow news sure travels fast, it only went down like twenty minutes ago-"
"Emily!" Murphy stated, sounding more impatient.
"I went for a walk and ended up at a church and decided to go inside. When I did some little asshole charged out of the confessional and grabbed the priest and placed him on his knees. I just watched as he put two guns to the back of his head and killed him" Emily felt so ashamed as she said it.
"I'm glad ye did nothin', ye could have been killed ta. This motherfucker was trying ta call us out...well he better start running cause we're comin' back, you in?" Emily didn't even have to hesitate with her answer; she may not have done anything to save the priest, but she wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to avenge his death. "Of course I'm fucking in, I've kind of missed the rush" Murphy began chuckling on the other end of the line and Emily let out a small sigh of relief that he wasn't as angry anymore. "Well it is rather liberating. Just be careful an stay at Mcginty's, yeah? We're leavin' tanight, gonna hop on a boat. We'll bring all the weapons an shit and see ye at Mcginty's sometime tamorrow"
"Alright, see you soon Murph" Emily didn't want to hang up the phone, but it was late and they had to leave so they could get to Boston sooner.
"Aye, night babe, love ye."
"Love you too, bye" with that Emily hung up the phone and put it back on its holder. She went to bed that night only being able to think about one thing; there was a reason she ended up outside that church, maybe it really was her own calling from God.