Unbreakable

(II)- Old Man

Noah motioned for Panza to go first. He cocked his back hammer with a look of excitement and anticipation on his face. Although Noah was literally staring death in the face he seemed tranquil and extremely relaxed. However Emily and the boys were far from relaxed; they were all on edge with fear. Panza pulled back the trigger and... click! "I'm gonna blow this motherfuckers brains out, right now!" Conner stated through clenched teeth. Noah glanced at Conner warningly, "Son... Daddy's workin'" Reluctantly Murphy and Conner take a step back but keep their guns raised, Conner telling him that no matter what happens, he'll die tonight. It's now Noah's turn to fire at Panza, he pulls back the hammer before speaking, "Where is the old man?" Emily was clueless as to who he was referring too but that was the least of her worries. Panza seems unsure of himself and more importantly his answer, he looks as though he is contemplating whether or not he should answer. He shakes his head slightly causing Noah's grip to tighten around the trigger, "Come on." Panza clenched up, bracing himself for impact. But once Noah pulled back the trigger to nothing but another click, Panza laughed slightly with a massive smile on his face. Murphy and Conner dropped to their knees and began praying and their prayers were answered when Panza fired another blank at Noah. Emily couldn't take it any more, waiting to watch one of them die was horrible. She pushed her way in between Noah and Panza so now his gun was aiming at her. She was facing Panza but was talking to Noah, "Enough! Are you really willing to die to find out where some old man is? Haven't enough people died already Noah? I can't lose you as well!" Noah placed his hand on her shoulder to move her out the way but she shrugged off his grip. "Emily, sweetheart. Step aside" Noah said calmly behind her. "No! Are you forgetting that Greenly is laying there, dead? Or that this asshole killed a priest in a church? Or that he could have killed us in the restaurant if it wasn't for Eunice? I can't just stand back and watch him kill you too, not before you meet your grandchild!" Murphy and Conner were now stood up with there guns raised again. "Murphy, get her out of here" Emily turned to Noah in disbelief; how dare he talk about her as if she wasn't even there. Before she could say anything to him, Murphy began pulling her behind the bar and into the back room. She could just about make out Noah asking him where the old man was one last time before a single shot was fired. Emily broke down in a flood of tears; she knew it wasn't Noah who had been shot but she couldn't hold it in anymore. Concezios words replayed themselves over and over again in her head, she knew they'd be scarred in her memory for life. Murphy closed the door to the back room and wrapped his arms around her, bringing her into him tightly. He left her cry into his chest whilst he stroked her hair soothingly. "Babe, please don't cry! It's alright, everything's alright!"
"Nothing's alright, Murphy! Your dad obviously has history with this 'old man' which means another hit, it's never going to end! How can we bring a baby into this? Its not like you even want to anyway! Concezio turned out like his dad, you and Conn turned out like Noah, what if I turned out like my mum? What if I walk out on you and the baby?" Emily didn't make eye contact with Murphy throughout her rant, until he moved her back slightly and forced her to look at him. "Hey, hey, hey. I want this baby Emily! I want to start a family with ye! I don't know what's going to happen about the 'old man' but whatever it is yer not havin' anything to do with it. If you'd have told me before there'd be no way ye would have came today! Me and ye are havin' a baby Em, ye should be thinkin' positively! You're going ta be an amazing ma!" Before Emily could say anything there was a knock at the door before it swung open, revealing Conner. "Come on, we're going ta Caesars."

Emily was sat at the dinning room table with the boys and Noah, Romeo and Caesar deciding to give them some room. "Granddad Noah, I like da sound of that!" Noah said, smiling widely at Emily and Murphy as they sat side by side. "I can't believe I'm gonna be an uncle, I never thought I'd have a nephew."
"Excuse me? Who says it will be a boy?" Emily asked whilst laughing, soon all of them were laughing.
"Look around Emily; ye're sitting on a table with three pure blooded, Macmanus men. There's no way ye're havin' a girl!"
"You wanna bet Conn?" She raised her eye brow at him in an amused manner.
"Fuck yeah I do!" Emily was so relieved to hear him say that because it would make the outcome that oh-so more interesting. She didn't mind either way, but the look on Conners face if he lost the bet would be a picture.
"Fine. If its a boy, I'll tell ye which one of ye came out first. If its a girl, I keep it to myself for many years to come" Conners jaw dropped which is the reaction she wanted.
"Ye bitch," he said jokingly but paused to think about his answer, "fine deal."
They all laughed again, but Noah brought an end to the laughter by clearing his throat. "I'm sorry guys. This is all my fault"
Emily and the boys looked at him in confusion; what was his fault? "What are ye talkin' about da?" Murphy asked, expressing the confusion they all shared.
"I was an immigrant to the U.S in 1958. I was sixteen. I came to New York where my father, Jacob Macmanus, was a cobbler. Had a little shop and I was to learn the family business. Mafia was everywhere in those days" he paused for a few seconds, most likely having a flashback to the time he was referring too. "Simple extortion...protection money. But your grandfather was proud" Emily noticed Noah's facial expression and generally demeanour change, something was troubling him. "I just...watched" she was starting to put the pieces together; the Mafia must have had his father killed because he refused to do a job for them. "I buried my father, then I buried the men that killed him. Louie, my best friend, helped me. It started off slowly. Just the ones who were a threat to us. Then one day..." Noah paused again; the silence adding to Emily's anxiety. "Louie would pick the marks and plan everything in detail. And I would go in and do the jobs. I would execute, over and over again, those who had taken my father from me. So it went for years." Emily looked from Murphy to Conner to see a similar gaping mouthed expression on their faces. "So...how'd ye end up inside, Da?"
"Back in '75, I did a hit, came out and the police were waitin' for me. He set me up, 25 to life."
"Wait... why did he set you up?"
"I can't wait ta ask him" Emily hung her head at hearing his words. Noah was defiantly going to find him and the boys were defiantly going to help, by the sounds of things, it wasn't going to end well.