Unbreakable

(II)- Goodbyes

After about an hour of talking and listening to every west life song of the iPod Emily decided it was time to bring up what was bothering her. She knew that it wasn't going to go down well but she had to say something for her own piece of mine. "Don't go tomorrow" as soon as she saw Murphy's expression change she regretted saying anything. They had been enjoying themselves; they talked about the baby, their dream wedding, the dream they and Conner shared and they even ended up having a mini ice cream fight after Murphy pretended to feed her a spoonful of ice cream and wiped it on her nose instead. Now she had to be serious and realistic about everything, bringing them both down of their high. "Don't do that Em. Please don't make me choose" Murphy looked at her pleadingly and she knew he was genuinely torn. She didn't want him to feel like it was choosing between her and the baby or his dad and brother, she wanted him to choose between staying or leaving. "Murph listen. We can sit here and play happy family's all we want but come morning that's all going to change. Obviously this man wants us dead otherwise he wouldn't have gone through all this trouble to get to us and your dad. I know how capable you guys are at taking care of yourselves but you don't know what he has planned. He won't be alone that's for sure, you'll be walking into an ambush. And if you do manage to walk out alive, you'll be walking out to police. Either way Murph, you won't be coming back. I'll be an ex-saint, single parent, raising our child alone with no money, no home, no support... no you" the last words were barely audible and Emily began to silently cry. Murphy didn't argue with what she said about not coming back which showed he already knew that. Unbeknown to Emily the predicament he was in has been planning on his mind ever since Noah told them about Louie, it was the reason he followed her into the kitchen in the first place. He took her hand in his and stared at it whilst drawing small patterns on it with his fingers. He continued to do so for the duration of talking,"Em, ye got ta believe me when I say that this isn't how I wanted it ta be. I wanted ta marry ye and start a family and grow old together. I still want all of that. But ye got ta understand that Conner and my Da, they need me."
"I need you." Emily whispered quietly. Murphy swallowed hard trying to ignore the lump in his throat. He couldn't bring himself to look up at her because he knew if he did...he would cave in. "I promise ye won't be on yer own. I'll talk ta Doc,Duffy, Dolly even Cesar. My point is, you'll never be alone. And we don't know how things will end tomorrow for sure" Emily pulled her hand away from Murphy's grasp causing his head to snap up and look at her. "I'm tired" was all she said as she pushed her chair out and stood up. However Murphy quickly mimicked her action to grab her arm and stop her moving away. "Em we need ta finish discussin' this, ye can't just walk away from the problem." Emily scoffed in disbelief at what she was hearing. She didn't want to talk because she knew no matter what he said, she'd never fully agree with his choice even if she told him she did. "That's rich coming from you. This whole conversation is about me not wanting you to leave...to walk away" Emily said sitting back down as did Murphy. "I'm not walkin' away or leavin'! I mean physically yes I am but not in the way ye're makin' it sound. I have ta go Emily. This man is responsible for the death of a priest, the death of Greenly, he damn near got ye and Doc killed as well. Not to mention the fact he betrayed Da, me and Conn grew up without him because of this man, it was hard Em-"
"Don't you dare! Don't you dare play the growing up without a dad card. I grew up without my mum remember? I know what it was like not knowing where she was, why she left, if she was ever coming back. We both experienced the pain of missing a parent whilst growing up. But you know what the difference is Murph? I wouldn't want to inflict that pain and upset on my own child. Don't worry, I'll be sure to tell James or Rose that their daddy does love them, obviously not enough to be there for them... but I'll keep that bit to myself." Emily knew that what she just said was harsh; she knew Murphy would worship the ground the baby walked on but she also knew what she said made sense. He said it was hard growing up without his dad yet their baby would have to grow up without him around. "I'm sorry Em, I really am. Ye're right, I wasn't thinkin' about how it would effect the baby and that was wrong of me. But remember what my dad said earlier, Louie learnt about the birth of me an Conner. If we don't end this he could find out about the pregnancy. He could hurt the baby, which would hurt us, but it would also hurt Da and Conn, he'd know that if anythin' was going to lure us into what ever trap he has set, that would be the best way to do it. Or worse, he could get you and the baby killed whilst ye're pregnant...two stones and all that. I'm going with them tomorrow so no matter how it ends, live or die, ye and our baby can live a normal and happy life without any harm coming to ye because of somethin' me and Conn started. It ends tomorrow." Emily didn't mean to but she ended up laughing. It wasn't a laugh of disbelief or sarcasm, she genuinely found it funny. "They're going to throw you in the hoag Murphy; with all those murders,rapists,child molesters...it won't end tomorrow. If anything tomorrow will just be a fresh start for you guys, like all your Christmases have come at once." Emily stood up again and so did Murphy, but this time he wasn't trying to stop her. He knew how hard it was for her to hear because it was near enough impossible for him to say; this was his late night with Emily and his last time to hold her and their unborn child in his arms. He didn't want to say anything that could cause an argument or upset her more then he already had. He wanted to enjoy her in every way possible while he still had the chance. Which is why he took hold of her hand and instead of leading her back to the sofas where they were sleeping he took her to the toilets. They both knew it wasn't exactly a romantic place to make love for the last time, but neither of them really cared...they were together.

"I can't let ye go" Murphy whispered closely to her ear as he squeezed her tightly. They were stood in an alleyway guarded by the doors of the family van the boys would be taking to the old mans place. Noah was talking to Eunice about where to find him and some other stuff but Emily wasn't really paying attention. She was to absorbed in Murphy to care about what was happening around her. "Then don't, it's not to late to change your mind" even as she said it she knew she was wasting her breath, he had already made up his mind. "Eeemmm, I'm struggling enough with this as it is! Can ye do somethin' for me?" Emily sighed defeatedly, it was over. "Anything."
"Well two things actually. One, please don't cry! Ye know how much I hate it when ye cry. Promise me?" Emily knew it was going to a challenge to not cry but she wanted to do it for him, "promise."
"Could ye also take lots of pictures and videos? I know it sounds stupid cause ill probably never see them, but I'd just feel better knowing they were there just in case I do-" Emily cut him off quickly, she didn't want to hear him talking about not getting killed or arrested because the likelihood of that was extremely slim. "Consider it done!" She was already planning on doing that anyway, this was going to be her one and only child, she wanted to make memories. "I love ye Emily Michelle Macmanus, more then ye'll ever know. Ye were and will always be the best thing that ever happened to me. God I'm gonna miss ye like hell" he squeezed Emily tighter with every word. It was nearly time for them to leave and Emily was doing everything in her power not to break down in a flood of tears. "I love you too Murph. Be careful...please don't die. The thought of you in prison breaks my heart but the thought of you dead, I-I" she couldn't finish of her sentence because she knew she'd cry. Her eyes began watering and her voice began cracking. Keeping quiet was the only way she could stop herself from crying. "Shhh, ye promised remember?" Murphy began stroking the back of her hair to calm her down. She was about to apologise when Noah started talking to her, reluctantly Murphy released his grip so they could face him. "How about it Emily? Costa Rica?" he asked, Emily drawing a big blank. "What are you talking about?" she asked, slightly nervous. "I'm leaving Boston, you should too. It's not safe, for you or the baby. Come with me?" Emily stared at Eunice in shock. Emily couldn't leave, she couldn't. That's what she kept telling herself repeatedly hoping to make it stick. "What about Doc? And Dolly and Duffy? What about you?" she asked turning to Murphy. "Em, I'm not goin' ta be here. Dolly an Duffy will be fine, they have each other. I'm sure they'll take care of Doc ta, not that he needs anyone looking after him; he's as tough as nails babe, ye know that!" Emily knew that everything he was saying made sense but she couldn't let go. "Em do it for me. Do it for James or Rose. Do it for yerself. This was yer dream, there's nothin' stopping ye now" Murphy sounded regretful of the fact nothing was keeping her in Boston but he also seemed excited for her. "But it's so far away from-"
"The hoag?" Emily knew it was stupid but she thought by staying, she'd still feel close to them. "Emily I'm sorry but I've got to get going. You boys better make a move to if you want to get there before the police." It was now or never, she needed to decide. Her head was telling her to go with Eunice but her heart was telling her to stay near Murphy. "Okay, I'll come" she knew that if she stayed, she'd only be reminded of what she had lost. Her life in Boston started with the idea of travel so it only made sense that it should end with it. "You'll have to wear a wig or something, just as a precaution. We have to get going now so..." Eunice trailed off awkwardly; she's didn't want to rush her finally goodbyes but they had to go. Emily took a deep intake in breath and forced a smile before wrapping her arms around Noah. He told her to take care of herself and his grandchild because seeing Murphy so happy was more then he could have asked for. She then walked over to Conner and hugged him tightly. Conner had always been a brother figure to Emily as well as one of her bestfriends, now she was losing both. "Conn, I've never really told you how much you mean to me, have I?"
"Ye don't need ta tell me, it's written all over yer face. As soon as I met ye I knew ye be like a little sister ta me, even if ye weren't with Murph. And I know we've never really spoken about what happened with Roc, but I've never blamed ye." Tears began rolling down Emily's cheeks but she had her back to Murphy so she knew he wouldn't see. "That's so nice to hear! Take care of yourself Conner and look after Murphy, you guys need each other now more then ever."
"I will don't ye worry about that. Ye take good care of my nephew, he's gonna be tough." Emily chuckled slightly whilst pulling away. She quickly wiped away her tears and nodded at Conner, both of them smiling at each other. "Love you Conn"
"Love ye Emily." Emily then made her way over to Romeo. Although she hasn't known him long she had grown attached to him and form a strong friendship with him. He pulled her into a hug but it wasn't a tight as the ones she had shared with the others. "I'm sorry I wasn't very welcoming the first time we met. I wasn't keen on the idea of you getting involved in the saints, but I'm glad I kept my mouth shut for once because...well you were born to be a saint" Emily pulled out of the hug but stayed where she was to listen to what he had to say. "I'm a spic, I'm used to being unwelcome" Emily loved how Romeo could make her laugh in times like this, when she had to fight the urge to cry. "But seriously, it's been an honor to have met you let alone stand beside you and the boys. Take care of yourself"
"You too." Emily smiled before turning around and coming face to face with Murphy. Her heart almost sunk and he hasn't even spoken yet. "Everyone load up, leave them ta say goodbye" Noah said motioning for everyone to move which thankfully they all did. Emily wrapped her arms firmly around Murphy's neck whilst he wrapped his around her waist, pulling her into him. He buried his face in the crook of her neck and breathed in deeply as if taking her in for the last time. "Shared the laughter." Murphy mumbled into her neck but she could hear him clearly enough and she knew what he was doing. "Shared the tears." Emily said turning her head so it was closer to Murphy's ear. They were now taking it in turn to quote lines from their song, unbreakable. "We both know, we'll go on from here."
"Cause together, we are strong."
"In my arms, that's where ye belong." Emily wanted to stop quoting the lyrics and tell him that she defiantly agreed with that statement, but the moment was to good to ruin. "I've been touched by the hands of an angel."
"I've been blessed by the power of love."
"And whenever you smile, I can hardly believe that your mine." Murphy sighed indicating to Emily that their little moment was over. "I want ye ta have this" Emily pulled away from the hug to see what he was giving her and after a few seconds, she realised it was his iPod. "I'm not gonna need it, ye can listen ta it whilst yer on yer travels" Emily cautiously took it out of his hand and held it in her own. "Thank you, I'm gonna need something to distract me from my thoughts." Murphy gently cupped one side of Emily's face and slowly ran his thumb against her cheek, taking it all in for the final time. He leaned forwards and joined her lips with his own. It started off soft and gently but soon turned more heated and passionate. Emily snaked her arms around Murphy's neck before grabbing a fistful of his hair to pull him down closer so they could deepen the kiss. Murphy's arms worked their way around her waist to pull her against him whilst their tongues fought for dominance. Emily soon submitted to Murphy which caused him to let out a moan of pleasure. When the kiss broke Murphy trailed kisses along Emily's jawline and around her neck before looking back at her. "I love ye Em, please never forget that. And let our baby know that their Da does love them an that I always will"
"They'll know, I promise. I Love you Murph." They shared one last kiss and hug before removing their arms from around each other. Now they were stood facing each other but neither of them wanted to turn away first. Eunice beeped the car horn signalling it was really time to go. "Goodbye" was all Emily said before turning on her heel and walking towards the car. She quickly placed the headphones in her ears and hit play, only to listen to 'Queen of my heart.' Emily couldn't help but smile because Murphy must have paused it on that song on purpose. As she got to the door she took the handle in hand...but she froze before opening it. She had been telling her self to not look back but the urge was building, especially because this really was her last chance. She glanced to her side to see Murphy doing the exact same thing as her. She blew him a sweet kiss before quickly opening the car door and getting inside. As soon as she closed to door and put on her seatbelt she broke down. Eunice placed a soothing hand on her shoulder and squeezed it a little before starting up the car, driving away, leaving Murphy and the others behind them.