Unbreakable

So sorry

The basement was a no go. The door to it had been locked, confirming Emily's worse fears; they had the boys. Now she was even more determined to get inside, and in her haste she spotted the perfect opportunity. A window was slightly a-jarred, but she could open it wider and slide through. The window opened into the kitchen, leaving Emily stood there with her gun raised aiming at nothing but cupboards. Emily was petrified as she stood there planning her next move; she knew she had to exit through the kitchen door, she was just scared about what would be waiting on the other side. She had barely made it five steps out the door, when she heard a gun go off and yelling that she instantly recognised as Rocco's. She carried on walking in the direction of the gun shot but stopped again after hearing a door close and voices. "Okay, what do you boys think?"
"These guys are tough. Ain't no fuckin' way they're gonna talk."
"I know Rocco, he ain't smart enough for this shit. Those other guys are the brains."
"He's just a player."
"He's a punk."
"There's only one thing to do."
Emily knew that whatever she was going to do she had to do it now. As she rounded the corner she was preparing to take out however many guys were there, her guess being about five. But to her surprise they had all dispersed in different directions. She didn't waste time worrying it someone would spot her, she charged straight towards the now opened door. Just as she got to the door she heard Conner yelling, instantly deciding to go inside. When she entered she saw Murphy handcuffed to a chair, covered in blood from a beating he had obviously taken. Conner was also in a similar state but she couldn't see Rocco as a man in a light blue shirt was walking towards him with his gun raised, ready to shoot. Being unnoticed by everyone as they yelled for him not to kill him, she fired her gun, thankful for the silencer. Her inexperience showed as she hit him in the shoulder but before she had a chance to rectify her mistake he had turned with his gun now aimed at her. An even louder eruptions of yelling began, all three boys yelling for him to leave her alone and stay away from her but Pappa Joe wasn't listening. "Drop your weapon. If you don't, I will kill you" Emily glanced at Murphy, his eyes pleading for her to do what he asks. Emily's head was screaming for her to drop it but her hand wasn't receiving the message. She had to show him she was strong and not easily intimidated otherwise he'd walk all over her. "Is that what kind of man you are? You'd kill a women because she wouldn't roll over to your demands?" Emily sniggered sarcastically before continuing, "You can't even call yourself a man. Those three guys behind you are more of a man then you and your bunch of assholes out there all combined. You're a coward Yakavetta."
Four guns cocked simultaneously at the back on Emily's head.
"Who you calling an asshole, sweet cheeks?" A guys sleazy voice rang close to Emily's ear. He took the spare gun out of her thigh holster and ran in up the side of her body.
"Stay away from her!" Murphy said through clenched teeth, wiggling in his restraints to get free.
Yakavetta noticed Murphy's outburst and decided to use it to his advantage. "So you're not willing to drop your gun to spare your own life," it was a statement not a question, "but what about his?" He walked behind Murphy and pointed the gun to the back of his head. "Will you risk his life?" Emily's eyes locked with Murphy's and they looked different to how'd she'd ever seen them before; they looked scared and fearful. Sighing in defeat she released the gun, letting it fall against the concrete ground. "Good girl" he said removing the gun from Murphy's head and walking back over to her. "I like you. No women has ever stood up to me before. The men that have however, ended up dead. But as you so rightly put it before, that would make a coward and not a man at all. So I am left with two options. One I give you to my group of assholes here, to do with you as they see fit" the four men behind her began laughing whereas Murphy, Rocco and Conner were shouting and trying to move in their chairs to try and do something. It was clear to Emily there was nothing they could do, but she was touched to see how much they were trying. They saw raping someone just as bad -if not worse- then murdering someone. The thought of someone doing it to Emily literally made Murphy's skin crawl. "Or option two. I came in here with the intention of putting a bullet in your friend Rocco here. But now it would bring me much more pleasure to watch you do it for me." Emily lunged at a smug looking Yakavetta, but was pulled away by a tight grip around her waist. "You can go to hell!" she said trying to pry the mans arm from around her middle.
"Emily, just do it" Rocco begged.
Yakavetta signalled for his men to release Emily and leave the room, shutting the door behind them. "No. No, I'm not doing it" Emily said trying to sound stern, but deep down she was a small, terrified little girl who wanted nothing more then to go back a few hours and change the current situation. Yakavetta stood behind Emily and forced her to enclose her hands around his gun, his large hands controlling hers. Emily realised she was in trouble, he was going to force her to kill Rocco. "Please no! I'll do whatever you want, just don't do this!" Emily cried out, the small little girl bubbling to the surface. Her eyes locked with Rocco's, he stared blankly at her as Yakavetta slowly began pulling the trigger. He was torturing them all at how slowly he was forcing her to pull the trigger, everyone knew what was coming and no-one could stop it. Emily tried using all her strength to redirect the gun somewhere else, but his strength out did hers. There was nothing she could do. She watched Murphy and Conner yelling but she couldn't hear them. It was silent as she stared at Rocco, never breaking his gaze. "Now now Emily. You're the one holding the gun, I'm merely holding your hands. You're the only about to kill your friend" Yakavetta stated close to her ear. She could feel the trigger one push away from firing, "Rocco I'm sorry." She watched in horror as Rocco's chair flew backwards from the impact, suddenly regaining the ability to hear Murphy and Conners cries for Rocco. Yakavetta's grip on her hands disappeared and the gun fell out of her hands. She slowly made her way towards Rocco and knelt down beside him as Murphy flipped his chair to lay beside him. "You can't stop! You get out of here. Don't ever stop" he said struggling to breathe. Emily felt so helpless as she watched him slipping away with every passing second. Tears rolled silently down her cheeks as she stroked some hair out of his face. "I'm so sorry Rocco, he was just to strong" Emily said in barely a whisper. "E-mily," he said turning his face slightly, "It. Wasn't. Your. Fault" and just like her father, he was gone.

Emily sat with her back slumped against the cold wall, her tears refusing to stop. She hadn't spoken, ignoring the boys when they repeatedly asked her if she was alright. She had just shot her best friend, she had killed him. This was never part of the plan; she was supposed to rescue them. Now Rocco was dead and the three of them were locked in, it being fair to say her rescue attempt failed. "Emily, I know you're in shock but we need ye, please" Conner said, desperation clear in his voice. Emily looked away from her shaking hands to see the brothers looking at her and it was clear that they were just as cut up about what happened as she was. "What can I do?" both brothers let out a sigh of relief to finally see and hear her respond. "We can't do anythin' unless we get these cuffs off, any idea-" Conner immediately stopped talking as keys began jiggling around outside the door, meaning someone was coming in. Emily was up on her feet and picking up the gun they told her to drop -but never bothered to pick up- in seconds, before hiding round the corner of the door. As the man walked further into the room Emily quickly aimed and fired, killing him instantly. She was hoping it was Yakavetta but she was happy to settle for the sleaze-bag who would have taken great pleasure in raping her. She quickly stepped over the body and shut the door before turning her attention back to the body. She started rummaging through his pockets before latching her fingers onto a small key. She hurriedly unlocked Conners wrists and ankles before moving over to free Murphy. As soon as he was free he pulled her into his embrace, something he had wanted to do ever since she ran off. "Promise me ye'll never do that again!"
"Do what?" Emily asked genuinely confused.
"Everything ye've done today. Runnin' off, disappearin', sneakin' into the italian mob dons house alone and fuckin' standin' up to him like that! Do you know what they could of done to you? What I wouldn't be able to stop them doing!" His grip tightened with every word. Emily pulled away from the hug but slipped her head into his. "I'm fine Murph" she said before looking over at Rocco's dead body, "Or at least, I will be fine." Murphy placed his hand under her chin and made her look at him instead, "Ye didn't have a choice Em, remember that."

The boys had lifted Rocco's chair upright and placed two pennines in his eyes before kneeling down in front of him. They already had their gear back, all of them wanting to leave straight after the boys finish their prayer. Emily felt uncomfortable just standing there watching, the more she looked at Rocco the more she wanted to burst into tears again. She decided to wait outside; the ritual was Murphy and Conners way of saying goodbye, not Emily's. As she began closing the door to give them privacy, she was alarmed when she was grabbed from behind, a large mans hand placed firmly over her mouth. He gently pushed the door open again and silently pushed her inside. He stopped them both as soon as the boys and Rocco came into sight. His gun was raised at their backs and Emily was once again helpless to do anything.
"And shepherds we shall be for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand.
That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command-"
The man lowered his gun and began holstering it. Emily was extremely relieved at him doing so, but she was also extremely confused as to why he was doing it. The noise of him placing his gun in the holster had caught the boys attention. They simultaneously turned around with their guns raised, their expressions changing from relieved to furious in less then a second. However as he slowly walked towards them, he began removing his hand from covering Emily's mouth.
"We will flow a river forth on to Thee,
and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii et Spiritus Sancti."
The boys faces lit up at the realisation of who the man was. By the time he had finished the prayer he had released Emily completely. A she stood and watched the man place a hand on each of the brother faces she couldn't help but feel alone. Wrapping her arms tightly around herself she cleared her throat; she didn't want to intrude in their moment but she was desperate to leave. The boys seemed to get the hint as they stood up and checked how much ammo they each had. "You don't have ta worry about that boys, your da's taken care it of" Emily didn't want to waste another second in that room; she walked straight out and headed for the front door. "Excuse me sweetheart" Emily spun round to see the boys dad walking quickly to catch up with her as the boys hung back, watching them intently. "Mind if an old man hitches a ride with you? I want to have a chat with ye." Emily looked behind him at Conner and Murphy for an answer but they merely shrugged. "Of course not" she said with a smile, although she was nervous as to what he wanted to talk about.