Status: onlythegooddieyoung + heatherlight.

The Tension's Like a Fire

V

The cold wind of October shook Jay’s bones, making him shiver and huddle his coat closer to his body. Halloween was right around the corner, and it was the main subject in The Wanted’s conversation, waiting outside the building for Nathan to be done so that they could arrive in time to the radio station. They were supposed to attend a small interview talking about the single that would be released soon enough.

“I’m definitely bringing Kelsey over,” Tom nodded eagerly.

“I still haven’t got a date,” Max hid his mouth behind his scarf, stomping the ground to keep warm. “I’m planning on asking Leslie.”

“Leslie?” Siva’s eyebrows shot up. “As in, Leslie Waters? Our Leslie?”

“Yeah, why not?” he shrugged, staring at the ground. “I mean, I know Tobias will get a bit wary, but—”

“Since when is it a good idea to ask our manager’s daughter to a Halloween date, Maximillian?” Jay laughed.

“I-I just thought… since we’re so familiar…” his cheeks tainted the same color as his cheeks. “… I guess I was wrong…”

“I support you, mate,” Siva slapped his back, making Max smile.

“Really?”

“Leslie and you are kinda made for each other,” Tom shrugged, pulling his phone out. “I’m just warning you, though, Tobi-Willy may have to kill you if you even breathe in her direction.”

“I know,” Max winced, turning to Jay and quickly changing the subject. “What about you, Jay? Are you asking your mystery girl?”

Jay’s eyes turned sad quickly, and Tom was quick to elbow Max in the ribs, frowning when Jay let out a bitter sigh.

“What’s wrong, Bird?” Siva asked.

“She isn’t answering any of my texts,” he shrugged. “And I don’t really know what happened. I mean—one second we’re both joking and flirting and suddenly she just doesn’t answer. I didn’t text her again, in case she didn’t because I’m annoying—which I know I am, and I know I’m not really good with lasses but… I-I think I’m not that bad, right?”

“Why would you ever think that?” Max frowned deeper. “You’re not annoying, Jay, seriously. And girls love you!”

“Fans only,” he replied under his breath, but his band mates heard.

“You know, I hate when you do this,” Tom crossed his arms over his chest. “Whenever a bird does the minimum thing, you flip out and start overthinking about things that aren’t even true!”

“Sorry,” Jay uncomfortably stared at the pavement.

“N—don’t you dare say sorry!” Siva groaned. “Jay, you have nothing to be sorry about. Have some dignity, mate! Chin high, spirits as well, and then maybe you’ll have more lasses after you!”

“I don’t want to be arrogant,” he defended.

“You? Arrogant? Please, Bird,” Max laughed. “You’re the most humble and nice gal ‘round, alright? Don’t feel self-conscious.”

“Besides,” Tom added. “I’m sure she didn’t answer because she lost her phone, like you usually do.”

“Really?” Jay’s eyes lit up with hope.

“Yeah, sure,” he shrugged.

“I’m going to ask her out,” Jay bit his lip, a little grin appearing on his features.

“But do you even know where to find her?” Max questioned.

“There are only two record stores near central LA. I think I’ll find her,” Jay nodded, feeling giddy with excitement. He really was doing this.

“Well, good,” Siva nodded.

“I’m going to ask her out to the Halloween party.”

“Right now?” Tom laughed, and Jay nodded, a smile spreading out and his feet moving away from his band mates. “But we have an interview right now!”

“Tell Tobias I’m sorry!” Jay gave an apologetic look, crossing Nathan as he lowered the stairs and went out of the building.

“Jay?” he frowned. “What’s going on?”

“I’m going to ask Jodi out!” he explained before he began to sprint out, knowing exactly what record store she would be working in.

From what he could remember, she said she also sold CD’s, so it was the biggest store, which meant Elephant Records on the corner of Regent Street. Adrenaline pumped his veins and he didn’t even know why. Maybe it was because he hadn’t asked a girl out in ages, or even had a fling with someone in two years. It was hard to manage a girlfriend and a music career at the same time.

But this time it’d be different. Jay thought hard about it as he turned into Bond St. and tried not to bump into the busy people of London. Jodi wasn’t like other girls he had known; she was different. She was… she was the only one to respond to his geeky comments, the only one who was genuinely interested in him for him, since she seemed not to know him as Jay McGuiness from The Wanted, one of Britain’s most successful boybands.

He stopped in front of the record store, soaked from the light rain that had poured on his way. He could hear the faint sound of All Time Low’s Remembering Sunday playing, and he regained his breath before shakily moving towards the door, opening it slowly and wincing as the little bell rang above his head. Droplets of water fell from the curls untucked from his beanie, and the only person present in the front of the store looked up, an earphone on her right ear and drawn eyebrows over hazel eyes.

“Can I help you?” her voice was monotone, although she looked like she was approving of his physical look, probably trying to know what type of music he liked.

“Yeah, I’m looking for Jodi?” he began slowly, realizing how stupid he looked.

The girl’s eyes widened, her eyebrows shooting up and her mouth curling into a huge smirk. A giggle escaped from her throat and she jumped from the counter, stacking a few vinyl’s back to their place. Her hair was jet black but now Jay could see purple highlights on the tips. She was definitely a friend of Jodi’s.

“Jodi, you cunt!” she shrieked, and Jay winced, surprised by her bluntness. “There’s a hot indie guy asking for your arse!”

“A hot indie guy?” Jodi’s voice made Jay more nervous, if that was possible. “Has he got tats or does he look like a mix between Johnny Rotten and Jimmy Page?”

“Why don’t you come and see?” the girl giggled.

“Fine!” her steps increased and the girl motioned for Jay to come closer, and so Jay did, although wearily, as he watched Jodi untying an apron with various pins and about to throw it to the counter when her eyes met Jay’s.

“What are you doing here?” he voice was barely audible.

And so Jay blurted it out before he could help himself; “Do you want to come to a Halloween Party with me?”