Fast Times at Clairemont High

Chapter 2

“Gayyy,” I hollered at the teacher. Everyone laughed. I just smirked.
“Mr. Quinn, do you have something to share?” Mr. Lokteff said in monotone, trying to sound like the alpha male. I sat back in my chair and folded my arms.
“Yeah. This is gay and a waste of time.” The boys snickered and the girls giggled.
“That’s an offensive term, Quinn.”
“No, it’s not.”
“Don’t argue with me.”
“I’m gay, and I feel just dandy.” Everyone laughed again. Like always, the teacher rolled his eyes and continued on his lesson. I high-fived my friend Ben, who sat next to me. Yeah, I’m bisexual. But I still got all the ladies. And guys. I had an important rep at Clairemont High. I got along with everyone and everyone naturally loved me, but my closest friends were Tony, Mitch, and Ben. Though Tony was my cousin, he was still one of my best friends. He’s 25, and I’m 16, but we still get along great. Mitch was always the voice of reason in the group. Though sometimes he could be a drag, he was always right. He was 16, too. It was annoying. And Ben likes to party with me. Ben comes from a broken home, like me, but Ben was almost 18. I’m jealous. But all four of us stick together.
After a few more agonizing minutes of Mr. Shithead’s lecture, the bell rang and Mitch and Ben hopped to their feet.
“Wanna come over? My mom bought another case of beer we can have,” Ben grinned.
“Can’t.” I grabbed my back pack and threw it over my shoulder. “Tony is picking me up. We’re hanging out before he goes out with his friends tonight. I haven’t seen him in a few weeks because he’s been so busy with school. He graduates soon,” I pushed in my chair and followed the boys out of the damned room.
“Fine. Mitch, you wanna hang?”
“Sure, I could go for a beer.” Mitch said absent-mindedly, checking his phone. Mitch was the voice of reason, but he drank too. We walked towards the parking lot. Me and Ben’s houses weren’t far from the school and we lived within 3 houses of each other, so we’re always out stirring shit up. But Mitch lived 10 minutes away. As we walked further, I saw Tony leaning against his car, texting. I said my goodbyes and ran up to Tony. Yeah, I’m a chill guy, but even at my age, Tony always brought out the excited child I used to be in me.
“Tony!” I called out. He smiled big and put his phone back in his pocket and opened his arms.
“Hey, buddy.” He hugged me tight as I ran into his arms.
“I missed you.” I hate sharing my feelings with others. It’s none of their business and it just makes me so uncomfortable. But I love Tony. He’s family. The only family that actually gives a shit about my existence. He just smiled bigger.
“I missed you too, bud. Sorry I haven’t been around much, I’ve been so busy.” I hate it. Tony always feels the need to be around because my parents don’t do much parenting. But I’m not his responsibility. I frowned.
“Don’t be sorry. No one is forcing you to be here.” I threw my backpack in the trunk and got in the car. Tony knows I hate that he feels responsible for me, but I guess he can’t help it.
I pushed my thoughts aside. I put in my favorite album “From Death to Destiny” by Asking Alexandria in the CD player. Tony and I loved music. I rolled down the window and head-banged out of the car at Mitch and Ben who were talking towards the house. They laughed and flipped me off. I sat back down and put my seat belt on.
“So, wanna get some ice cream? I’m hot,” Tony asked.
“Yes, you are.” I retorted and smirked. Tony knew my sexuality. And he didn’t care. In fact, he had always encouraged me to be myself around him. But my family practically disowned me when they caught me in bed with another boy about a year back. I didn’t tell Tony that story; I just told him I told my parents. But he doesn’t need to know my sex life. I wanna stay innocent in his eyes. “Haha, sure.”
We arrived at this cute ice cream shop we always went to since I was a boy called Sentry. Tony and I got what we always got; I got a cone with cookie dough and he got a bowl with rocky road. Tony always had a weak spot for chocolate. The shop was crowded because a lot of kids from the high school and Tony’s college down the street hang out here. We sat down and ate our ice cream in a comfortable silence.
“So,” Tony started, setting down his spoon. “How are you?”
“Fine,” I shrugged.
“You know what I mean.” He glared. I said nothing and looked away. He leaned in closer so none of my friends could hear. “Are you low on your meds? Do you-“
“Just stop! I’m tired of you babying me, Tone!” I yelled out of a sudden rage. A few people looked over but then looked away. “I’m fine,” I hissed more quietly. Tony just gave me a sympathetic look. Just because I have depression and anxiety doesn’t mean I need to be watched like a child. I’ve been through more than most adults. I’m very mature. I also even look like I’m in my mid-twenties.
“I’m sorry. I know I worry-“
“It’s whatever.” He smiled.
“Let’s have some fun tomorrow. There’s a house party on Dovewood Court me and my friends are going to. It’ll be fun, bring Mitch and Ben.” I grinned back. Tony knows how to have a good time. He always has. “Now let’s go back to my house. I have some pot calling your name.” I smirked. I love this boy.

---

“Dude, hot lava,” I giggled. “I can’t touch the ground man!” I explained, Tony cracked up.
“Look at yourself in the mirror man-“
“NO, HOT LAVA I SWEAR!” Tony laughed harder. Tony normally doesn’t get high with me because he is a safe driver.
“Time to go home,” he stood up, grabbing his keys.
“Wait, I need food,” I reached a shaking hand toward him.
“I don’t have any. There’s food at your house, I’m sure.” Tony picked me up across the hot lava and into the car as I sang Bohemian Rhapsody all the way to the car.
“Why can’t I live with you, Tony?” I rubbed my body all over the fuzzy interior of his car.
“I’m sorry. You know how horrible I feel when I have to take you back home-“
“The house,” I interrupted. “That place will never be home. …WHOA TONY YOU’RE GOING REALLY FAST. SLOW DOWN SPEED RACER,” I screamed, laughing.
“I’m going like, 20 mph.” He laughed.
“Whatever. Byeeee.” I sang, as I fell getting out of his car. I laughed awhile before getting up and going around my yard to reach my front door. You know, because hot lava and shit. Tony honked goodbye and drove off. I looked at myself in the reflection of the window. My eyes were blood shot and I couldn’t stop shaking.
I opened the door and walked straight up stairs.
“Kellin,” my mom called. I pretended to ignore her and kept walking. I shut my door and put eye drops in before she could open my door.
She spun me around.
“Are you high again, Kellin?” I stayed silent and smirked. And with that, she smacked me across the face. “You dumb piece of shit! When are you gonna stop fucking around!” I winced as she kicked me hard in my gut as I coughed up a bit of blood. After the stomped out of the room and slammed my door shut, I spit it out, gasping for air.
After a few minutes of regaining myself, I sat on my bed, grabbing at my stomach. I felt myself coming down from my high, which was never good. I grabbed my pills. Zoloft and Abilify. I took my normal dosage so I’ll be okay to party tomorrow. I threw my clothes in the corner on the floor and climbed into bed. I sat there and sighed. I hate my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Second Chapter! Enjoy