Status: A finished NaNoWriMo novel (first draft)

Louder Than Thunder

Chapter 27

Meanwhile, across the room, Michelle and Darlene were drinking and chatting apart from the crowd.
“You know, I actually think it was very nice of you to worry about my drinking. I mean, someone had to,” Darlene said, leaning against the wall and taking a sip of her beer.
“And I actually think it was very nice of you to worry about my pill use. Like you said, someone had to. Also, though, it means a lot to me that you worry about me that much and I really appreciate it, even if I don’t always show it. It was just hard to think about in that moment but I’m accepting it.”
“I think things are going to be pretty good from now on. We’ll be better, you know?”
“Yeah, I think we will too.”
“I hope the album does well.”
“I think it’ll do alright. If it doesn’t, well, at least we’ll only have like-minded fans,” Michelle said with a laugh.
“No one makes it with only like-minded fans though.”
“Well, you know what, who says we’ve got to make it? We like playing clubs, don’t we?”
“Yeah, it is great. I sort of like recording now that we’ve tried it though.”
“Yeah, it’s alright, but, as I was saying, even if our album bombs, we’ll always be able to play clubs and play together. We could do it permanently and save up our money for our own places.”
“Aren’t you gonna move in with Sid, though?”
“Yeah, I am, but that doesn’t mean that Kim, Mary and you don’t need places to live too.”
“Well, I guess.”
“I mean, you’re not gonna stay with Eric forever.”
“Well, why not? He’s got a big place and he likes company. We’re drinking buddies, after all. He even said he doesn’t mind me staying as long as I want.”
“As long as he’s okay with it.”
“He is. He’s the one who asked me to stay with him.”
“So he did, did he?”
“Don’t tell Mary. Just let that bit unfold. I mean, she’ll see it happen when she leaves and moves out and I don’t, but don’t tell her. I just don’t want her to make a big deal out of something that is actually harmless.”
“It’s harmless right now just talking about it. If he ever starts hurting you while he’s drunk or anything like that though, you tell me and I’ll take you out of there within ten minutes, no matter where in the city I am.”
“Fine, mother.”
“It’s for your own good!”
“I know, I know.”
“I’m thinking about that time you two got in a fight and wouldn’t tell what happened.”
“I don’t think that’ll ever happen again. Trust me.”
“Alright. Still though, if anything does happen, I’m there,” Michelle said, patting Darlene on the back and strolling over to the door leading out of the ballroom.
“Thanks, Chell. If you ever need someone, I’m there too.”
“Thanks, Darlene. That means a lot.”
“Where are you going, by the way?”
“Bathroom.”
“Hmm, you know, I just wanna wash my hands. I think I’ll walk with you.”
“Alright.”
They headed out into the hallway and nearly walked right by until they noticed that they weren’t alone in the hallway. Mary and Keith were having a moment that was evidently supposed to be private. Michelle and Darlene snuck by the couple, who were fiercely making out.
Later, they all met in the ballroom again. Mary entered with Keith following behind her. He walked over to Eric and Mary joined Michelle and Darlene.
“What are we talking about?” she asked.
“Just about how things will be alright from now on.”
“Hey again,” Sidney said, putting an arm around Michelle’s shoulder as he joined them.
His other hand was hidden behind his back.
“So, I came over here to tell you that whenever you have time in the next few days, call me and I’ll help you bring your stuff over to my place.”
“Alright, I’ll see when we have time.”
“By the way, Kim told me to give you this.”
He produced three copies of the Rag Dolls’ record from behind his back. He fanned them out with a smirk and handed one to each of the girls.
“Thanks, Sid,” Mary said, taking it from him and inspecting it.
“Thanks.”
Darlene took it with an admiring smile. Michelle also took hers with a smile and kissed Sidney on the cheek. As the girls were inspecting the albums – a picture of them posing on a staircase with their instruments adorning the front and more pictures of them on the staircase covering the back along with the song list – Kurt bumped into Sidney. Kurt looked apologetic and was about to back away when Sidney put an arm around Kurt in a brotherly side-hug.
“Hey, Kurt. What have you been up to?”
“Nothing.”
“You staying with Eric?”
He just shrugged.
“You should. It’ll be good to stay together. You could write some more songs there, and I’m sure they’d come out great because Eric’s house has a nice environment, you know? Nice yard with a pond – it’ll be better than writing in a hotel room. Even Chell and I are gonna visit.”
“I guess I’ll stay, but I’m looking at homes in California, remember?” his soft voice asked.
“I know, but it’s somewhere to stay for now.”
“Hey, Sid, can I talk to you in private?” Michelle asked, leading him away.
“Sure. Talk to you later, Kurt.”
“See you.”
“So, what is it, Chell?”
“Well, since you’re all dressed up and since there’s not much going on here anymore, I was thinking we’d go down to this club which is a few blocks from here. I promised I’d take you to a mod club, after all.”
“Sounds great, let’s go.”
“Yeah? Alright.”
The two ran outside and hitched a ride with another young couple, who were excited to recognize Sidney.
“I can’t believe you’re Sidney Baker! You’re one of the greatest songwriters of our generation, man! You must have a bunch of money, why are you hitching a ride?” the boy in the driver’s seat asked.
“First of all, thank you, you’re really too kind. As to why we’re here, we had a last minute idea to go down to this club. This is Michelle Townshend, by the way. She’s in a band as well. They just released a record today. You both should have a listen; they’re called the Rag Dolls,” Sidney suggested.
Michelle smiled at Sidney, glad she met someone as supportive as him.
“Really? We’ll keep an eye out for it, won’t we?” he asked the girl.
“Yeah. What kind of music do you play?” the girl asked Michelle.
“Rock ‘n’ roll and nothing but,” she replied joyously.
“Hey, that’s great!”
“This is the place,” the boy said as they stopped in front of a club with a sign lit out in front of it.
“Thank you,” they each said as they stepped out.
The couple drove away as Michelle and Sidney walked into the place. Michelle immediately brought Sidney over to the dance floor and they moved to a fast paced R&B number. Sidney wasn’t big on dancing but he quickly caught on with Michelle, who also wasn’t big on dancing but it was such a big part of being a mod, and of going to mod clubs that she was dragged into it when she first became a mod and began to enjoy it some point during her late teen years.
They danced for around forty minutes before taking a break at an empty table. Someone spotted them, sitting tired and red in the face – Sidney, more so than usual – and approached them.
“Purple hearts?” he offered.
Sidney understood immediately and watched Michelle, remembering what she told him hardly two hours ago. She looked tense for a moment, as though unprepared to be approached; however, she quickly understood and waved him away.
“No thanks, I’m alright.”
“Hey, I’m proud of you,” Sidney said as the boy walked off.
“That reminds me, I was going to tell you that you look good in a suit. It looks nice, you know? That’s what being a mod is about, looking nice and being unique while doing it.”
“And dancing and having fun.”
“Of course.”
“Well, we should head back to the party. Everyone will probably be leaving soon.”
“Right, let’s head back.”
They hitched a ride back to the hotel and reentered the ballroom, where everyone was double checking plans, such as moving into Eric’s place. Then it was time for some more temporary goodbyes before everyone moved out; the Leatherjackets and their manager left the hotel while the girls went up to their rooms for the night.
The next morning, the girls got a limo ride to their old apartment. They all smiled when they saw the familiar sight of the lobby of the building. They led Kim, who looked slightly uncomfortable, upstairs to their apartment.
“You really lived here?” Kim asked as they entered their apartment.
“Yeah, I know. It’s a real shitty place,” Darlene said as they entered.
“No kidding. Alright, girls, pack up your stuff.”
“Right.”
“When’s your stuff arriving from LA, Kim?” Michelle asked, leading Kim over to her and Mary’s room.
“Any day, I hope. I really miss some of my clothes that I didn’t have room to bring. My mum said she packed everything that I left there and shipped it off about a week ago, and my roomate witnessed the packing, so, soon.”
“And they’re being sent to Eric’s place?”
“Yeah.”
“Alright.”
They packed up their stuff and, with help from Kim and the landlord, whom Darlene visited downstairs to pay the rent they missed, which incited him to see to it that they were really leaving. He helped only with light boxes, lazy man he was, but he helped nonetheless. Once everything was packed inside the spacious limo, they drove off towards the English countryside in search of the estate of Eric Archer.
When they arrived, pulling into a house approaching mansion size, they were greeted by the Leatherjackets on the wide driveway. The boys helped them bring their stuff inside the vast foyer, near the door. While the house wasn’t overly fancy, it was comfortable. The walls of the foyer were of dark wood and the floor was mismatched tile, the other rooms off at the sides appeared to have carpet instead but with similar walls.
Eric wasn’t kidding when he said he’d have a full house by the end of the month, for, though it had only been hardly two weeks, not only were the Leatherjackets and the Rag Dolls present, but other musicians from London-based bands were hanging around the level one rooms, which were placed around the foyer. There was a living room on each side and a kitchen on the far side. A staircase spiraled upwards from the middle of the room to the visibly less spacious upstairs. The upstairs was a hallway attached to many rooms and guest rooms with a few bathrooms.
“Nice place, Eric,” Darlene said.
“Thanks. I got it at a lucky time when the price went down quite a bit. Still a bit expensive, but who can argue with a deal, right? Anyways, grab a box, girls, we’ll start bringing your stuff upstairs,” Eric explained, grabbing one of Michelle’s boxes.
“Actually, Eric, I don’t know if I’m staying. Is Sid staying?”
“Yeah, he said you both were going to stay for a few days, at least.”
“Oh, alright. Just checking. Yeah, let’s head upstairs then,” Michelle suggested.
“Yes, let’s. Go on, I’ll join you,” Eric said to Darlene and Mary.
He reached down to grab another box as Michelle grabbed one of her own as well.
“I can let you and Sid share a room if you’d like. I won’t tell anyone else,” Eric winked.
“Oh, Eric,” Michelle laughed, following him up the stairs.
“I’m serious. If you want it, just say the word.”
“Only if you need to make more room. I would like to be able to spend a couple nights finally alone in a room. Sick of ‘otels, you know?”
“Yeah, I know. I was just kiddin’. I reserved private rooms for those of us just coming off tour anyways, so there’s enough room. Don’t even worry about it.”
“Alright. Thank you so much, Eric.”
“No problem.”