The Lion and the Rebel

Knowing You

It felt odd seeing her in her school uniform. The plaid skirt that went down to her knees, the white blouse underneath the blue blazer with the crest of the school stitched above her heart. Her long platinum blonde curls flowed down her back, she looked like any ordinary secondary school girl. The pale skin was tainted with acne and her shy smile to hide the braces she recently got.

Asani saw his aunt Lucy in her quite often and was forced to be around her and his little sisters more often than he wanted. He took a step back when he saw two blurs of brown sandwich the small blond into their embrace as a greeting.

Right when he was about to turn he saw Leona’s eyes meet his. He paused for a second feeling giving her a curt nod waiting for the three to approach him.

“Assiii! A-san-iiii!” The teen boy rolled his eyes as Antoinette jumped in his view with a beaming smile almost the reflection of their mother. The twelve year old surely had their father’s personality as she bounced in her place. Tilting her head in questionable fashion, “Were you waiting for us?”

“Who else would I wait for?”

Isolde finally came in with a scoff, arms wrapped around Leona with an eye roll. “You’re slutty girlfriend. That’s who.” Unlike the peppy bouncing girl in front of him, Isolde had the ability to be crass when needed. Honestly she was only like that when the mention of his girlfriend was brought up other than that she was bubbly just like her twin.

“Get over it. Let me take you home before mum throws a fit again.” Asani grumbled, still sore about getting yelled at by his mother for accidentally forgetting to pick the girls up. His parents were never the striking type, but Naima was close to doing so that day.

So Asani promised to take them home before he wandered off again. It also didn’t help that the twins cried to their father who gave him a stern lecture of looking out for his sisters.

Way to make him feel guilty.

Taking a sharp turn, Leona almost bumped into his chest as his blue eyes lowered to her level. “Do we have to give your little brother a lift?”

He watched as Leona’s hazel eyes widened with shock. It was rare when he spoke to her, they were so close before he drifted off and puberty hit him. He did find it strange that she was so shy around him, people in general.

The blond slowly nodded, “My mum is working late and so is my dad, um is it okay if you just dropped us off at your house?”

Before he could answer, his sisters piped in excitedly answering for him. “Of course! Mum already knows you’re coming over.” As they piled into the car, Asani couldn’t help, but glance at Leona as she sat in the passenger seat quietly.

The twins chattered amongst themselves bringing in Leona every once in a while. When he parked his car near the school entrance, he observed how excited Leona was to see her little brother, Raidon. The small Asian boy hugged his sister tightly dragging his lunch pail with him rambling about his day. Leona listened closely as they walked back to the car.

Asani remembered when he was that attentive to his younger sisters until they became obsessed with boys, glitter and clothes. The twins moved so Raidon can sit in the middle who greeted everyone happily.

“Hi Asi!”

“Hey little man. How’s your day?” He tried to avoid grimacing at the childhood nickname that was dubbed on him since birth. The older he got the more he hated the nickname Asi. He was okay with Sani, but using the first letters of his name made him sound like a child which he was not.

Driving off, he listened partially at Raidon’s rant until he parked in the driveway. Looking at the cars parked in the garage he internally groaned. Great, both his parents were here.

Not that he disliked them together, but with them here they would want family time which meant he couldn’t drive off like he had planned. Sensing his displeasure the twins snickered at the misfortune their brother had to face.

Sliding out of the car, the twins hopped with Raidon towards the entrance. He waited until Leona gathered all of her things before trailing behind her. He pursed his lips as his mother walked in the foyer room with a huge smile on her face. Greeting all the kids with kisses, she quirked a brow at her son.

“You’re not going anywhere tonight, young man.”

“I know. I know.” He mumbled. “Where’s dad?”

If he had to endure staying home might as well be with the one person he was most comfortable with. “In the entertainment center.” Giving his mother a kiss on the cheek he ran upstairs before the twins could follow him and entered the room.

Swiftly knocking on the wall to gain his father’s attention, Tom glanced up with lively eyes. A small smile graced his father’s features. Tom stood up with a groan before embracing his son. “Good to see you back. How was filming?” Asani asked sitting alongside his father. He always listened to the stories his father shared with him from the story of his parents to the birth of him and his sisters.

“How have you been, son? Heard you caused quite a sight at school.” Stern blue eyes glanced at him. There was no judgment being placed upon him just curiosity as to why Asani was acting up all of a sudden. “I thought you’re fighting days were over when you were a child.”

A tired sigh left Tom’s lips, “Tell me what happened.”

Asani groaned leaning his head against the sofa clearly not wanting to discuss anything in detail. “Some tosser was talking ill about mother again.”

“Asani, you have to ignore-”

“Ignore them because none of it is true I know, but can’t they just let it bloody go already? It’s been fourteen years since you got married and they still talk about her like she’s some whore.” Asani balled his fists tightly, he hated when the media or anyone for that matter talk ill about his family. His mother was the most amazing woman he has ever met. He could remember small memories of her spending as much time with him as possible due to her tight work schedule.

It’s actually a miracle that she was home at the moment seeing that she recently made Chief of Staff. Tom placed a hand on his son’s shoulder, “We all know what your mother is like and I love her dearly more than I love myself. What happened between your mother and I has long past, but people love to keep the scandals from disappearing and love to make small jabs to keep it alive. We don’t let it get to us so don’t let it get to you.”

Asani stayed quiet as he wringed his hands, “Do you—do you still keep in contact with her?”

“Who? Clare?” Asani nodded, he secretly was afraid of the answer. As much as he didn’t want to believe in the rumors there was a small part of him that questioned it. His parents lived busy lives and could go months without seeing each other. That could put a strain on a marriage, can’t it? They made it look so easy, the distance didn’t seem to faze them, but it could be a façade for all he knew.

“No. I haven’t seen her in fifteen years. Have you thought of the colleges you are going to apply to? The deadlines are coming up, Asani.”

“I already have several in mind. Travis has been helping me pick the best schools for zoology.” He watched his father’s face light up.

“Ah yes, zoology. I remember when I had to convince your mother to let you have a pet snake and I was right. It is something you love. Suits you perfectly.” Asani grumbled as Tom ruffled his hair. “Our little rebel destined for greatness even though he tries to mask it with his stubbornness and masculinity.”

“What are you going on about, father?” Asani rolled his eyes, fixing his ruly curls that were in need of a cut.

“Keep looking out for your sisters and Leona. I don’t want you ever to put your friends before them, their family. Understood?” The sternness that his father picked up over the years came back; he spent a lot of time with his grandfather Andrew in that department and it has worked. Tom understood what it was like being a boy and wanting to pick your friends over your little sister.

Asani mumbled an agreement as he thought of the shy girl with the hazel eyes. He’ll try as much as possible.

After talking to his father for a little while he left him alone after receiving a call from his publicist. Now in his room and changed out of his school clothes which he detested, he smiled as Loki curled around his body. “Missed you too, buddy.”

A sudden knock on his door made him look up. Leona shifted her feet shyly as she brushed back her long bangs, “Um, can I ask you a question?” She spoke so lowly he almost missed what she said entirely.

He nodded his head regardless waiting for her to finish. “I just…wanted to ask if you can h-help me with my homework. I don’t understand this stuff and the twins are younger than me so they can’t possibly understand it-”

“Let me see it.” He reached out his hand watching her fumble around to gather her things. A small pink flushed her cheeks as she handed him the thick book. Repositioning it in his hands, he blinked before a small grin appeared on his face. “Shakespeare? Interesting stuff, yeah?” How can the Hiddleston household not understand Shakespeare?

With someone like Tom Hiddleston as your father who recited sonnets, plays and quotes from the great writer himself he too became fluent in the old language. It brought him question that she didn’t ask the twins who knew Shakespeare or his father who probably would have kept her overnight with excitement of her studying the material for the first time.

Yeah, it was a good choice to go to him for help. The twins would rant and pass over the subject leaving Leona even more confused. Leona sat a good space away her eyes weary of something. He furrowed his brow until he remembered Loki was still perched on his shoulder.

“Right.” He mumbled; she was afraid of the snake just like almost every woman in this house. Placing him back in his cage he sat back down again patting the space closest to him. “C’mere. It’s easier to see the words when you aren’t a hundred meters away.” He chuckled giving her a devilish grin. Leona blushed, shyly scooting closer to him before he helped her break down the play.

It took them hours to complete the interpretation, laughter was exchanged and the tension that was between them vanished. The atmosphere felt calm and relaxing just like when they were little kids. Leona tensed and almost fainted when Asani brushed an eyelash off her cheek cheekily telling her to make a wish.

When Lucy finally arrived to pick up her children she thanked Tom and Naima for looking after them before giving a special thanks to Asani for helping Leona with her homework. With shy goodbyes, Asani turned around to see his family with sly grins on their faces.

He rolled his eyes and excused himself upstairs to focus on the measly homework he was assigned to disregarding the teasing the twins made as they followed him up the stairs. They soon stopped when Asani came out with Loki on his shoulders, Antoinette more so than Isolde. It took a small threat for Isolde to finally retreat with her sister and he was finally in solitude until the morning after.
♠ ♠ ♠
They might be this long or shorter depending on what I am writing. I will time skip a lot until I reach their adult years and then I might slowly stop the skips so much. Thank you BlueDreams for the comment before I even posted the chapter haha much appreciated :D