Status: Still updating. Sorry for the [long] wait, loves!

It Only Happens Once

Roadtrip

Baby you light up my world like nobody else
the way that you flip your hair gets me -

My phone rang as I strained to get up from my mere three hours of sleep. This past year had been a great struggle with an overload of classes, late night studying, and tests that felt as though they were nearly impossible to pass. But since all this effort wasn't even for myself it was that much harder to bear. Thank goodness I was able to minor in music or else I would not have been able to survive my first year of college.

It felt like a war trying get myself up and out of bed. Eventually I was able to walk out into the kitchen to prepare myself for one last day of finals. I found my best friend making her coffee black, which became routine as studying had kept us up all night for the past 2 weeks. Finals had taken over every second of our lives, but we were kicking some major ass if i do say so myself. And today was the last day of the spring quarter; no more finals, lectures, labs, boring teachers, and one more class till summer officially started. Adeline handed me my tea that she made me every morning and we sat in silence as we soaked in a few more pages of information before our test.

"Are you ready for this Mythology test?" Adeline asked.

"You're kidding me right? This isn't even a final! I'm just reading the text book for fun" I smirked. She let out a little laugh as she took in my confidence. We had taken this class for fun since neither of us needed it for our majors. I mean, what kind of Biology or Fashion Marketing majors would need mythology? We just wanted a class that provided us with the credits we needed but without the unnecessary difficulty.

"Alright, let's do this." Adeline walked over to her room to get herself ready for the last day of complete torture. I followed suit, finishing my tea and getting ready for the day. After a half hour of waiting for my fashionista of a best friend, we headed over to UCLA to get the year over with.

--------------

"That test was so fucking easy, I don't even know why this is a class" I laughed as we walked back to the parking structure.

"Maybe it's for people who need a passing grade," Adeline replied as she witnessed a girl running out of the lecture hall crying. "Well, maybe not for that girl." she pointed. I smirked at her and continued to walk towards the car.

We both let out a sigh as we reached the car and buckled ourselves in. I looked over at Adeline and finally noticed how exhausted she looked with the deep dark circles surrounding her eyes. This year had taken a real toll on the both of us and it was evident on her face. I could only imagine what I looked like. We had planned on going out for a girl's night filled with partying and whatnot, but seeing as our current conditions lacked the energy we would have needed for our day's activities I decided to drive back to our apartment for a day of recovery.

As soon as we arrived back at our humble abode, we dressed in our pajamas, grabbed all of the junk food possible in our kitchen, and connected my laptop to the tv. We couldn't afford cable as we were both the definition of broke college students, even with the help of Adi's parents. So, for entertainment, we would watch videos on YouTube. I had begged Adi to watch the X-Factor season where One Direction was formed. Though she wasn't as big a fan as I was, she complied with my request and we sat and watched every. Single. Episode.

---------------

As we reached the end of the final episode of the season, I slumped even further onto the couch and let out a sigh.

"I wish I could do that."

"Do what Jay?" Adi asked.

"Win X-Factor… err, at least be on the show. I've always wanted to know what it would be like to compete in something like that." I stared off into space imagining all that I could do with an opportunity like the one One Direction had. I minored in music because that was what I truly wanted to do, while biology was something my parents wanted me to pursue. Biology became my major just to make my parents happy but after finding out that I had chosen to focus on another subject at the same time as biology, my parents couldn't take it and kicked me out. Sure it was bummer but when I sang, danced, or played the piano and guitar I was the happiest I could be. Just envisioning myself playing on a stage and singing a song I had written to millions of fans made my heart pound a little faster and a little louder because I knew that that was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

Adeline snapped me out of my trance by pushing my laptop into my view. "Why don't you take a look at this then?" She smiled at me then motioned to what was being presented on the screen. My eyes went wide at the ad Adi had pulled up.

"Audition for X-Factor? Do you think I should?"

"Janelle Louise Noble, for the 9 years I have been your best friend have I ever doubted your talents?"

"No."

"Then go for it! You're my best friend and I want you to be able to prove to your parents that you can make a future with music." I thought about what she had said and I couldn't agree more. I had been living my entire 18 years of existence for someone other than me and for once, I wanted to do something for myself. I took a deep breath and,

"I'll do it." We looked at each other, our smiles slowly growing until we squealed in delight at the thought of me being on stage and possibly winning a singing competition. I scrolled through the ad to find out more about the auditions. "Ok," I started, "there's an application I have to fill out and turn in there and then I just have to show up at the live auditions which are in," I scrolled even further down to find out when and where the closest auditions were going to be held. I had been staring at the screen for a long time before Adi took my laptop to see for herself.

"San Fransisco, June 14-16… Jay, what day is today?"

"Adi, today's the 15th," my heart pumped even more with excitement, "Do you know what this means?" We looked at each other once again and smiled so wide that our cheeks had gone numb.

"ROADTRIP!" We both screamed.

The rest of the night was spent packing, booking hotels, and happy dancing. But little did I know that this decision would change everything.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everyone! So this is my first official fanfiction!
Please subscribe and comment and message and all that because I would love to know what you all think of it!
Thanks loves!

xoxo
Hazel <3