What You Did in the Dark

I want to know you sincerely.

"I’m Tom," the boy with the blue eyes introduced. "And this is Oli."

"Oliver," the gorgeous boy cut in. That was the first time Aleria’s heard him talk.

"I’m Aleria," she finished.

"Funny how we don’t see you around often," Tom implied, "do you go to public school?"

Aleria shook her head. “I take online classes. My mom doesn’t want me to go to public school.”

Lucky, Oliver thought. Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky.

"Yeah? Why’s that?" Tom interrogated. Oliver thought he was pushing it by asking so much, but Aleria didn’t seem to mind.

"I get bullied."

With those three words, Oliver felt relieved. It saddened him to know that such a pretty creature had to go through a snippet of what he did, but he was sort of glad that he wasn’t the only one.

"Oh…sorry," the youngest of the three said. "Hey, let’s all hang out next weekend. It’s Halloween! Let’s walk around the neighborhood and steal candy!"

Oliver allowed his lips to turn up slightly, while Aleria gave him a full grin. “I’ll definitely consider it,” she smiled.

"You can come in, if you want," Oliver offered. Aleria was already fond of the way he spoke, his accent seeping through his words spoken by such a warm and deep voice. If she took him up on his offer, she thought, she could have the opportunity to hear it even more, and that was an offer she couldn’t pass up.

"Okay," she replied hesitantly, "but I have to be back by 8:30."

It was 7:42 right now, and the boys both ensured that they would have her back when 8:30 rolled around.

"Oliver? Tom?" Called a female voice. Aleria assumed this was the boys’ mom.

They led her to the kitchen, where a grey-haired man and a black-haired woman were sitting at the kitchen table.

"Mum," Tom said, "this is Aleria, Oli and I met her at the park today."

"Well," the man spoke. "It’s a pleasure to meet you, Aleria. Glad my boys brought a nice girl around to keep them out of trouble! Call me Ian, love."

"She’s pretty!" Their "mum" exclaimed. "Darling, you’re gorgeous. My name's Carol!"

Aleria was surprised and enlightened when Carol stood up and offered a hug. She obliged to it, already feeling at home in this house. “Thank you,” Aleria said softly.

"It’s no problem, darling. Do you want any tea?"

Politely turning down Carol’s offer, she followed the boys upstairs to one of their rooms.

"This is Oli’s room. We hang out in here mostly, ‘cause he’s a neat-freak and he’s got the TV and games here."

Aleria scanned the man-cave and her eyes landed on something sleeping on the double-bed. “Is that a dog?” She asked.

Oliver smiled and walked over to the bed, scooping up the small pinscher in his arms. “Yup. This is Oskar, my mum and dad got him for me last week. He’s only eight weeks old. He still sleeps a lot, but he likes new people.”

Aleria sat down on the bed next to Oliver and he placed the small pup in her lap. When Oskar started wagging his nub of a tail, she took this as a good sign.

"He’s already taking to you," Tom observed.

Oliver took up a play station controller and looked back at Aleria hesitantly. “Eh…you like Metal Gear Solid, Aleria?”

She smiled. How did he know? “I love Metal Gear Solid. Snake Eater’s my favourite game ever.”

Oliver smiled in spite of himself and got a controller out for Aleria. He was glad Tom made him go to the park with him after all.

"So how old are you?" Oliver asked.

"I turn eighteen in December," she answered. Aleria’s birthday fell on the first day of winter, just four days before Christmas. "What about you guys?"

"I just turned fifteen in July," Tom answered.

"I turn eighteen next month," Oliver smiled. He was glad to know that Aleria was his age.

"Really? When?"

"On the twentieth."

Aleria chuckled and turned back to the game. “You’re only thirty-one days older than me. Mine is on the twenty-first.”

Oliver smiled and he, too, continued playing their game.

When it was time for Aleria to go home, Tom and Oliver stopped her.

"What are you doing tomorrow?" Tom asked.

"I have to go to Mrs. Dorren’s at eleven while my mom and brother are at church," she shrugged. "Er…my mom doesn’t like leaving me alone in the house."

Oliver nodded, “Why don’t you come over instead?” He suggested. He really wanted to get to know her more.

Aleria offered him a warm smile. “Okay,” she mumbled, “I’ll see you then.”

Even though she lived next door, Oliver stood on the front porch and stayed there until she was safely inside. He had a friend.
♠ ♠ ♠
hello. i'm just getting started with this fic, i have maybe 8 chapters written already and i figured i should post at least three to maybe hook readers so they don't get bored and leave. even though they probably have already.
The Sinner by Memphis May Fire