Status: This is set in the 'YOU' look, as if you're describing yourself. Orea (you) is a girl. I do hope you like this story and will enjoy it!

His Maid, Her Butler

His Maid, Hired

A stage coach whistled past you, sending a spray of mud up onto your dress. You scoffed at the mess.

‘Thankfully where I’m from, men have more manners,’ you thought, taking up your luggage and starting for the road.

Not many people were out on this rainy day in England. It was dreary, and wet; not a day to be about frolicking and flirting and catching the latest gossip. All were tucked away at home, nice and cozy; all but the servants that was. Many came out here and there, running errands for their masters or for the house. You were able to avoid several accidents by close call, but there was still another thought in your mind.

“Whoa!” came a cry from the streets. A small wagon pulled up beside you. The man tipped his hat and pointed on ahead. “Ye lookin’ te goin’ up dere, m’fair lady?”

“Yes,” you said.

The man scratched his chin. “Awful long walk m’lady.”

You nodded. “Yes, tis.”

The man scratched the top of his head and snickered. “I’d be willin’ te take ye, but ye do know de rumors about de place, m’lady, don’t ye?”

“No, I’m afraid not,” you said with a heavy sigh.

The man shook his head. “We all know of de Phantomhives, but dere’s word goin’ round dat dere’s trouble a brewin’ up dere at de manor. Con’t say whot, but it don’t sound good.”

You gave the man a sympathetic look. “And despite it all, I still must get there.”

The man nodded and jumped down from his seat, reached out for your bags, and loaded them up. “Sit up ‘ere wit me, beder dan sittin’ in de back.”

You took his outstretched hand and climb up into the seat. The ride did take a while; you were glad you had taken the man’s offer, sparing you a long trek. You arrived fifteen minutes later at the gate. The iron bars were unlocked and open to visitors. With the man’s help, you were back on the ground and your bags in your hands.

“Good luck wit wadever it is yer doin’ ‘ere for.” The man tipped his hat and turned himself around.

“Thank-you!” you cried out after him, waving a hand in the air.

Once he was gone, you looked back on the manor. It was of great size and very stylish. You were saddened to know only a young boy dwelt within with only a handful of servants as company, but that did not pertain as to why you were there. Striding up to the massive front doors, you took hold of the knocker and banged it against the door several times, listening to the echo on the other side. A moment later, the door opened and a young boy with silvery-white hair and pale skin greeted you.

“Hello there,” said the boy. “How may we help you? – says Emily.”

You looked at him in confusion. “My dear boy, your name is not Emily I do hope.”

The boy shook his head. “I am Snake. – says Oscar.”

You shook your head. “Well then, Snake, I am here to see Earl Phantomhive. Is he present?”

Snake opened the door wider. “Please, come in. – says Donne.”

You stepped in and Snake shut the door behind you. The foyer was grand; your face could be seen in the floor and every sound was as clear as a whistle. A massive chandelier hung in the center of the room, leading up to the center of the stairway, where a painting of the Phantomhive family hung.

“Please, wait here. – says Wilde.” With that, Snake walked off.

You walked around the room in astonishment; everything was perfect. With a hop and a skip, you adverted your eyes and entertained yourself in a sort of one-person waltz. You spun around the room, giggling as your heals made sharp clicking sounds. You did not hear the footsteps descending the stairs, or feel the presence coming towards you till you found yourself in the arms of a tall man.

“I do so beg your pardon for interrupting you, but I am informed you have business with my master, is that right?”

You opened your eyes and your heart skipped a beat. A fully black clad butler stood in front of you. His eyes were a piercing red, but his demeanor was gentle, and he smiled in the most handsome way.

“Y…Yes,” you stuttered, breath-taken.

He smiled and removed himself from you. “May I inquire of your name?”

You froze. Here he was, standing before you, and your name was not known to him. “It’s Orea M-” You stopped and began again. “Orea Creaton.”

The butler looked you over and bowed. “Miss Orea, please, follow me.”

Leaving your bags for another servant, you followed the butler to the Earl’s study.

“May I inquire of your name, my good fellow?” You asked as the two of you walked along several corridors.

“Sebastian Michaelis,” said Sebastian with a grin.

You gripped your waist and fought back a cry. You mustn’t let him know, not yet. Sebastian noticed your state and put out a hand to you. “Are you well, my lady? I can arrange for you to see my master tomorrow if you wish to rest.”

You shook your head and stood up straight. “No, I’m fine.”

Sebastian nodded a bow and continued on to the study. The study was to your left and Sebastian knocked on the door and waited for a reply.

“Come in,” came the Earl’s voice.

Holding the door open for you, Sebastian let you enter.

“Who are you, and why are you here?” asked the Earl, twiddling a pen in his small fingers.

“I am Orea Creaton, sir, and I am here in search of a job.” You bowed.

“Why should I hire you? I already have a maid, a cook, a groundskeeper; what more do I need, especially that a women can do?” asked the Earl again.

You stood firm. “I can do many things a man can do. It can be anything, really. I’m quite handy.”

Sebastian stood beside his master and looked you over, sending chills down your back in a delightful way. “I could certainly put her to use, young master.”

The Earl rubbed his chin; he was a boy no younger than fourteen. He was petite, but well in knowledge. He was also short, not having hit a growth spurt since age ten. An eye-patch covered his right eye, along with his straight bluish-black hair. “If my butler says he can put you to work, then there is a spot for you. Can you start today?”

You jumped. “Sir, I haven’t even told you anything about myself. Are you certain?”

The Earl shared a look with Sebastian then returned his gaze to you. “As long as you have no intention of harming anyone, are not a mass murderer, or a prostitute, I do not care as to your background.”

Your mouth dropped and you stumbled. “Sir, you are most generous. Thank-you, so very much.” Overcome with happiness, you flew behind the desk and hugged the Earl.

“Yes, quite,” said the Earl in a half strangled voice.

You removed yourself and smiled. “I won’t let you down.” Sebastian led you giggling back out the door, leaving the Earl to himself.

“I do hope so,” he said once the door had been shut. “I truly do hope so.”

Sebastian led you around the manor first and made you familiar with everything. Then the two of you headed for the unseen part of the manor, the kitchen and servant’s quarters.

“Everyone, can I please have you gather round. We have a newcomer with us.” Sebastian stepped aside and you waved to the other five servants.

“Hello, I am Orea Creaton. Pleased to make your acquaintance,” you said, curtsying.

“I’m Bard, the cook ‘round here,” said the man on the far left.

“I’m Mey-Rin, the maid. I’m…sort of a cluts.” Mey-Rin blushed at Sebastian, who gave no attention.

“I’m Finny, the groundskeeper. I’m a lot stronger than I look, so I have to stay away from the kitchen and many other things ‘cause I might end up damaging them.” Finny laughed and scratched his neck, embarrassed.

“And I am Tanaka, m’lady.” Tanaka extended his hand politely and you gave him yours. He kissed it and returned to the line, where, without warning, he became a short little man. “Ho,ho,ho.” You giggled.

The last was Snake. “You’ve already met me. – says Wordsworth.”

You smiled at them all lovingly, as if they were family. “I am so glad I get to work alongside all of you. I will do everything in my ability to make you happy.”

Sebastian spoke back up. “She will be our Head house-maid, so-“

“I’m getting put out of a job!” squeaked Mey-Rin, eyes filling with tears.

“No,no, my dear girl,” you said, wrapping her in a hug. “Let Sebastian finish.”

“Please be considerate to her. She will need all the support we can give her,” Sebastian continued. “I am quite looking forward to having her around.”

“But what about me?” wailed Mey-Rin, tears streaming down her cheeks.

“Mey-Rin, there is a difference between a maid, such as yourself, and a Head house-maid,” you said calmly. “A Head house-maid is sort of like a House Mother, or Head Butler. I am in charge of you all and the house. I see to it that everything is well under control so the Head Butler doesn’t have to step into the picture. He can continue his duties just as everyone else without worry.”
It took a moment, but Mey-Rin nodded. “I see. I’m sorry for getting so riled up.”

“Don’t be,” you said, laughing.

Clapping his hands, Sebastian said, “Alright everyone, return to your wok. I will continue with Orea for now.”

Everyone bowed out and went off, but Finny remained, staring after you. Taking notice, you asked, “Is there something you need?”

Finny shook his head and his cheeks blushed a bright red. “N…No miss. I was just thinking how beautiful your eyes are. The green is quite enchanting.”

You smiled fondly at him and gave him a peck on the cheek. “Thank-you for the compliment.”

Finny blushed even deeper and went off to do his work. Sebastian stood behind you, pondering, deep in thought. Something felt out of place, but he couldn’t put a finger on it. The sensation he was getting from you was partially demonic, but not exactly. He didn’t know what you were. You noticed his confusion and patted his shoulder.

“Don’t be worried. I’m not interested in Finny. Nothing is going to happen on my account.” You chuckled and walked to the door. “May we press forward?”

Sebastian opened the door and the two of you made your way to the servant’s quarters. You took a side stairwell up to the second floor and stopped by the fourth door.

“This is the lady’s wing, and this shall be your room.” Sebastian unlocked the door and showed you inside. It was a charming little room, even for a servant. There was a small writing desk in one corner, a modest little bed, a wardrobe, and a cozy fireplace. A window was directly above the bed and a view of the gardens could be seen.

“How lovely,” you said, glancing out the window.

“We take much pride in our landscaping. It is of something to be envied,” said Sebastian, coming but behind you

Your heart hammered against your chest. You turned around quickly, head bent, and went for your bags which had been placed on the bed. “I’m glad I prepared for a maid’s job, otherwise I wouldn’t have a uniform.” Carefully, you removed a calf-length royal blue dress, along with a waist apron, slip on flats, tights, and a small circular cap held on by pins. “There, that should be it.”

“I shall leave you be for now,” stated Sebastian, taking hold of the knob. “You will be able to find me in the kitchen when you are finished.”

You nodded and watched him leave. You continued to stare at the door long after he was gone, tears coming to your eyes. ‘He doesn’t remember.’ Stumbling back onto the bed, you began to cry. ‘I knew something would be different, but not this. He has no memory at all of before.’ You looked around the room, becoming acquainted with it. Returning to a sitting position you grabbed your dress. “I better get ready or Sebastian’ll have my head.”

You smoothed out your dress as you came around the corner to the kitchen. Bard and Sebastian stood around, Bard cutting the vegetables for a soup and Sebastian scrunching his nose at the pot.

“Baldroy, are you sure you put in the right amount of thyme?” Sebastian questioned.

“For the last time, yes!” cried Bard. “I don’t mess everything up!”

You giggled. Both men noticed your presence and stopped their argument.

“I’m sorry that you had to see that, miss,” said Sebastian, wiping his hands off on a towel.

“It’s fine. I’ll have to get use to the ways around here if I’m to fit in.” You smiled and came up to Bard’s side, stealing a small sliver of carrot.

Bard gave you a glare and pointed his knife towards you. “Don’t steal my vegetables.”

You popped the carrot into your mouth, laughing. As you came around the corner, you didn’t see the barrel placed upon the floor and tripped, falling with a thump.

“Orea!” Sebastian and Bard cried, dropping their projects and running to your side. They each took one of your arms and pulled you up. Bard retrieved a stool and you sat, head in your hands.

“I’m sorry,” you said weakly.

“Are ya alright?” Bard asked.

You looked towards him and squinted; sighing, your face fell. “I don’t want to admit it, but I’m terribly near sighted.”

Sebastian put his hands on his hips, towel returned to a hand. “Why didn’t you say this before? I can have the young master acquire a pair of glasses for you as soon as possible.”

You shook your head. “I have a pair, I just…I don’t like wearing them. I look ridiculous.”

“How did you get here without them?” asked Bard.

“To the manor or the kitchen?” you chuckled.

“Both, but really the kitchen.” Bard had resumed cutting up the vegetables and was dropping them into the pot.

“If you are asking how I returned to the kitchen in a closed in area, without being able to hardly see past my own nose, the answer is: I was lucky,” you replied. “I remembered a few things that stood out so I followed them.” You turned towards Sebastian. “Plus, being on the end where the garden is I followed the smell of it, but all I got was the vegetables in here…”

Bard laughed. “Good nose!”

Sebastian gave Bard a sidelong glare and huffed. “Just be thankful she got back.” He looked you in the eye. “I will take you back so you can get your glasses. You will be required to see at this job.” You nodded and followed Sebastian back to your quarters.

“May I ask as to why you do not like your glasses, besides the excuse you gave?” Sebastian asked as you entered your room and dug through your travel bag.

Your hand found what it was searching for and you bent your head. “I’ve been teased about them. Most of my family is this way, near sighted, but I was the one who suffered humiliation. The glasses aren’t much but they frame my face in an odd way to everyone.” Tuning around you slipped the small frames onto your face and waited for Sebastian’s rebuke.

“You look beautiful,” complimented Sebastian with a smile.

You jumped, heart hammering again. “Are you sure you’re not just covering up the truth?”

Sebastian shook his head and pulled you over to the writing desk where a hand mirror lay. “See for yourself.”

You took the mirror and peered in. There, a brown haired, green eyed, red cheeked girl stared back at you, along with Sebastian at your shoulder. Your glasses, though, were a lot thinner than before. Where they were a chunk of small square lens of frame, they were now thin spectacles of a cute maroon color. “Oh my!”

Sebastian smiled. “See, they do compliment you.”

You stared at yourself. The glasses did look well on your face, plus, the color brought out your cheeks and eyes. “How in the world…?” you wondered.

Sebastian had already turned around and was walking out. “Let us return to the kitchen now to prepare for supper,” he said, a touch of worry in his voice.

You looked back at him and nodded. “Yes, let’s.”

The two of you returned to the kitchen to find Bard trying to put out a fire spitting out from under the pot. Sebastian let out a stressed sigh and came to Bard’s side and turned down the dial on the stove. The fire immediately receded and Bard stepped away, smacking his head with his hand.

“I should ‘ave thought of that!” Bard hung his head.

“I’ll start the soup over. You go and gather more vegetables.” Sebastian slipped out of his coat and hung it on a hook by the door. Once his sleeves were rolled up, he grabbed the pot and sat it in the sink, inspecting the damage. “Good, not all of the ingredients were ruined, but I will have to separate it out and boil new water.”

“May I help?” you asked. “I feel kind of useless standing here behind you.”

Sebastian nodded and handed you a strainer. “Hold this steady for me.”

You took the strainer and positioned it over the sink while Sebastian slowly poured out the contents of the pot. As the items fell out, you picked out the ones that were no longer good.

“At least not all of it is bad, otherwise you’d have to start from scratch, then dinner would be late,” you said, pulling out an over boiled peapod.

“True, but I don’t see how I’ll manage to still make this to the table in time.” Sebastian finished dumping the pot and returned it to the stove.

“May I try something?” You picked up the strainer and hefted it over the edge of the pot. “Would you fill a bowl with water and pour it in, please?”

Sebastian did as he was asked and gave you a quizzical look. “What do you plan on making?”

“I have a feeling you were going to prepare a venison stew with mango dip, but I’m going to do something a little different.” You grabbed the board Bard had been cutting on and dumped in the raw vegetables. “How does a common meal of vegetable soup sound? No meat,” you pointed to the bowl with a towel over the top of it, set away on the counter, “and no exotic fruit.” You pointed a finger to the mangos.

“The young master won’t be happy about a dinner change,” Sebastian said sternly.

You came to his side and undid the clasp that held his sleeve up. “Don’t worry, he’ll like it.” You started to undo the second clasp, your hands beginning to shake.

Sebastian gave you a look of confusion. “Are you alright? You seem to be a bit jumpy since your arrival. Is something the matter?” He placed a hand on your cheek and your face grew hot.

“I…I…” You tried to speak, but couldn’t. You about began again when Bard entered.

The bud that was in him mouth fell to the ground. “Sorry for interruptin’. I’ll just…” Bard began to step back outside.

“Come back in here.” Sebastian pulled away and pulled his shirtsleeve down.

Bard reentered and dropped the fresh vegetable onto the counter. He was quiet; picking up the bud, he threw it in the waste basket and began washing the vegetables. You let out a breath and returned to the pot. Grabbing his suit jacket, Sebastian exited the kitchen, but not without strict warnings to Bard, and returned to Earl Ciel. Once Sebastian was gone, Bard leaned over towards you and gave you the eye. You pushed his face away and he started laughing.
“Already fallen for the butler, ey?” Bard chuckled. “I hate to get myself into girly stuff, but I just had to ask.”

You turned around, hands on hips, ladle in one of them. “If you’re wondering if he was trying to make a move, the answer’s no.”

Bard glanced up from cutting the vegetables and stifled his laughter. Your face was still bright red. “He might not have, but you wanted to.”

Whacking him over the head with the ladle, Bard dodged the second blow and howled in laughter. “Just finish cutting the vegetable before you become part of them.”

Rubbing his head, Bard finished his job and helped you with yours. “I forgot to say something earlier,” said Bard. You peered over at him while measuring spices. “You do look beautiful in your glasses. I don’t know why you said they looked terrible.”

You flushed. “They didn’t look like this earlier. Sebastian gave me a new pair.”

“Aw,” Bard smirked. You stuck your tongue out at him. As the time drew near to serve, Sebastian returned and examined your work.

“Nicely done,” complimented Sebastian, sampling the soup and putting the last of the items on the cart. “You did an excellent job, Orea. Good work.”

You smiled. “Thank-you for the compliment, Sebastian.”

“Hey! I did most of the work!” cried Bard.

“You don’t need any praise; Orea is unfamiliar with our ways here and deserves a few more praises.” Sebastian gave Bard a sly grin.

Folding his arms, Bard grumbled under his breath. “Baldroy, I do though have something you could do. Would you please prepare the dessert? It’s to be a blackberry cobbler with ice cream.” Leaving Bard with those instructions, Sebastian motioned for you to follow him. Fixing yourself to look presentable, you followed him into the dining room. Ciel was sitting at his place, prepared for the oncoming meal.

“For this evening’s meal, vegetable soup and a side of French bread with butter,” said Sebastian, placing the food before the young Earl.

“Why such a simple dish?” asked Ciel, staring into the bowl.

“Orea presented the idea after a…uh, mishap, during the preparations,” Sebastian answered.

Ciel gave you a sidelong look then began to eat. Sebastian retrieved a bottle of wine from the pail on the cart and handed it to you to serve. Your eyes widened.

“You’re going to serve strong drink to a child! Are you out of your mind?” you whispered to Sebastian.

“It’s watered down; it holds the flavor, but it’s without the liquor,” replied Sebastian, turning back to his master’s side.

You let out a breath then removed the cork, pouring a glass for your new master. It didn’t take long for Ciel to finish the soup, and once it was gone, he stared at the bowl, contemplating.

“I know this’ll sound childish of me,” he said finally, “but would there, perhaps, be any more of that soup?” He looked to you for confirmation.

“Yes, my lord, there is a full pot on the stove.” You clasped your hands behind your back.

Ciel turned to Sebastian. “Bring me another bowl full, please.”

Sebastian bowed and exited the room with the cart. You stood next to the young Earl’s chair and watched him absentmindedly play with his spoon.

“Orea, you have glasses now I see,” remarked Ciel, making you jump.

“Yes, my lord, I’m awfully near sighted, though I hate to ever admit it.” You bowed your head to where your hair fell into your face.

Ciel nodded but did not reply for a while. When he did, the door opened and Sebastian was returning with the requested soup, and now a plate of dessert. “If you are in need of anything, please, don’t hesitate to ask.”

“Thank-you, young master,” you replied.

Sebastian gave you a look after he placed the bowl in front of Ciel. You pretended not to notice, and continued to stand there, waiting for orders. Dinner lasted another twenty minutes before you were allowed to return to the kitchen and clean up. The two of you had stood in silence the entire time, and now you and Sebastian were again. Standing over the sink, Sebastian washed and you dried and stacked the plates and silverware.

“You know, washing is more of a woman’s job than a man’s,” you said, breaking the silence.

A chuckle escaped Sebastian’s lips. “Tis indeed, but you seem to be rather quick with the replacement of the items.”

You looked over the counter, realizing you had put away every dish even before Sebastian had the next one ready. You hid your face, embarrassed. “I see. I didn’t realize I was working to fast. I can slow down if you wish.”

Sebastian shook his head. “Not at all. The faster we work, the faster we are able to retire for the evening”
That being said, you asked. “Did everyone else already eat and return to their rooms?”

“Yes,” replied Sebastian, handing you the pot. “Don’t worry though; I saved a bowl for each of us. Finnian would have eaten it all if I hadn’t. It was good timing when the young master sent me back.”

You laughed. “Growing boys need their food.” Setting the pot back in its place on one of the shelves, you noticed a movement out of the corner of your eye. Grabbing one of the dinner knives off of the counter, you flung it at the creature. It hit with exact precision, but it did not harm the creature; the knife was stuck in the wall just above the snake’s head. The snake laid there in shock, unmoving.

“Excellent.” You jumped and looked back at Sebastian who was retrieving the snake from its hiding place. “You almost made Wordsworth a lifeless noodle.”

You giggled at his choice of words. “I take it then you don’t very well like the snake?”

“In ways, they are very handy; but otherwise they just run amuck and Snake needs to keep them under control,” said Sebastian, letting out an exasperated sigh.

You smirked then removed the knife from the wall. Luckily, it hadn’t sunk in far, otherwise you would have had to of cleaned up a hole. Wordsworth didn’t move from Sebastian’s hands; he was watching as you put the knife into the drawer and returned to his side. He lay, trembling, as you reached to pet him.

“How exactly do snakes quiver?” You asked rhetorically. “I’ve never seen one that has.” You smiled at Wordsworth, who lifted his head and licked your hand. “I’m sorry for scaring you, but you did give me a fright.”

Wordsworth began to wriggle and hiss, as if he was trying to get away. “It’s alright. I was just looking for mice again. – says Wordsworth.” Snake stood in the doorway, staring at you.

“Then be on your way dear one.” You took the snake and placed him on the floor. “Just please remember, stay out of the lady’s wing at night. You might just end up a lifeless noodle.”

“I assure you, I will. – says Wordsworth.” With that, he slithered off. Snake entered the kitchen and leaned on the counter, staring you down.

You quivered. “Did I do something wrong?”

“The snakes are my family. Please, don’t kill them,” said Snake, grabbing a glass and filling it with water.

You blinked. “Did you just speak on your own?” You looked at Sebastian. “Did you hear the boy? Has he ever spoken without his snakes?”

“Only rarely,” replied Sebastian, setting the bowls of soup on the counter and putting his overcoat back on. “And it’s always just a sentence or so.”

You let out a puff. “I arrived thinking his name was Emily till otherwise stated. His snakes confuse me so.”

Snake snickered and then left the room with the wave of his hand as a good-night. You placed a finger to your temple and rubbed it in a circle. “Odd to see a snake charmer that good. The best I’ve seen were ones that could get one of those really large ones to dance.”

Sebastian chuckled and handed you a spoon. “We are all unique here, miss.”

You raised an eyebrow as you sat down across from him. “Oh? So what is it that makes you unique?”

Sebastian gave you a devilish look along with a smile that matched. “I shall not go into detail about that. I am merely the butler here.”

“Oh come on, there has to be something you could tell me?” You prodded, poking him in the arm from across the small table with your spoon.

He caught your wrist and leaned in very close, quickly, catching you by surprise. “You would not very well like to hear the details; along, it is also confidential.”

His face was still so close to yours, you could feel his breath on your skin. “O…Okay, I…understand.”

Withdrawing from your face, Sebastian let go of your wrist and sat back in his seat. “Now what about you?” he said after a few bites. “What is your background? The young master may not care, but I’d like to know the hands a little better.”

You rolled your eyes inwardly. ‘Isn’t that what I was trying to get out of him?’ “I’m from a small area in the northern part of England, not London. I worked as a seamstress…for a funeral parlor.” You hung your head. “I hated it. All those people we had to make pretty for one last show. I was making clothes and linings for dolls practically, overgrown dolls. I had heard London was a place that had lots of more business opportunities and so I came. Then I heard talk of this place. There were some who talked of it in glory, others with fear. I got very curious and thought I’d come and find out if what they said was true. I needed a job and asked for one straight out. I didn’t expect Master Ciel to be so quick with an answer, but I am grateful. It gets me out of sewing a new dress for some old lady who smells of a swamp.”

Sebastian choked, sending droplets of soup running down his chin. A painful smile shadowed his lips. “Some choice of words you have there,” he said, picking up his napkin and wiping his mouth off.

You stuck your tongue out at him. “Well, it’s true. Usually the dead aren’t suppose to smell of the living.”
Sebastian gave you a sidelong look; there was something about this look that made you cringe. “They are still a body, no? Although one may be dead, they are still the shells of the souls that live inside.”

“True.” You stared at Sebastian, watching him as he sat and ate, as if you were having just a normal everyday conversation.

The rest of the meal was eaten in silence. Ushering Sebastian out after the meal, forcefully telling him you would clean the last few dishes, you thought over the conversation just moments before. ‘What was that? He knows all about that still, I can tell, but why can’t he tell it’s me? Why can’t he see that the story I told him is missing something? What happened four years ago?’

Placing the last item away, you fetched a candle from a box next to the doorway. With a snap of your fingers, it blazed to life. The house was quiet as you returned to your room. No sound was made other than the creaking of the trees outside. It was pitch black, and you weren’t scared of the dark, but for some reason you felt like someone was watching you. Constantly, you turned about to see if there was someone behind, but it always turned up empty. Finally, you came to your room and were able to hide within its safe walls.

“Onto bed now with you, Orea,” you said to yourself, pulling off your stockings. Blowing out the candle, you snuggled down under the covers.

You never noticed the presence that lurked in the shadows. It moved as you fell asleep, coming closer and closer. It surveilled your sleeping figure with its blood red eyes.

“Another being of some nature from where I’m from…but what? Who is this girl; that she could come and make me feel like this. I’ve never been confused about a being of another nature, but this time I am. It is very confusing indeed.” Sebastian lingered near you, reaching out to touch your face when you mumbled in your sleep.

“My love, why must you? I want you to stay.”

Sebastian stared at you. “I wonder who the dream’s about.” Reaching out again, he brushed the hair out of your face. “Good-night, Orea. I hope to get to know you well.” Standing, he exited your room without a sound.