Status: This is set in the 'YOU' look, as if you're describing yourself. Orea (you) is a girl. I do hope you like this story and will enjoy it!

His Maid, Her Butler

His Maid, Oh Brother…

You ran between rooms as you hurried to clean them. Grabbing the bed clothes, you stuffed them into a basket and pushed them out into the hallway. Climbing up onto a chair, you dusted off the curtains; a thud sounded from the hallway. You jumped off the chair and rushed out the door; Finny lay on the ground, groaning.

“Finny, are you alright?” You wrapped your arm around him and helped him onto his feet.

“I’m alright, Mrs. Orea, I wasn’t looking where I was going,” Finny laughed.

You noticed the items he had been carrying. “What are those for?” You pointed to the packages that had Sebastian’s name on them.

Finny reached for them, covering them behind himself. “Nothing, nothing at all,” he said, his voice shaking.

You didn’t believe him. “What does Sebastian need that is in those packages?” Your eyes locked with his, trapping him.

He shifted uncomfortably. “I’m not supposed to tell you, it’s a surprise.” He hugged the packages to his chest.

You were taken aback. “Oh…Al-alright, I’m sorry. I should not have gotten riled up like that, do forgive me.” You stepped back inside the doorway.

“It’s alright; you will find out soon enough.” He giggled mischievously. Turning on his heals, he ran off on his delivery.

You returned to cleaning. Ciel’s aunt was coming for a stay with Edward and she was a perfectionist. Hefting the laundry basket onto your hip, you carried it down to the kitchen so you could boil water for the laundry. Bard was whistling away to a merry tune.

“What has you is such a dandy mood today, Bard?” you asked, throwing a dirty towel in his direction.

“I get off early today,” he replied, “so I’m goin’ to go and see a dear old friend of mine.” He was grinning rather pervishly.

That worried you. “Bard, please do not scare the poor lady. I do not need the chef of the Phantomhive estate getting into trouble with a lady, or the law for that matter.”

He scratched the back of his neck. “How could you tell?”

Your eyebrow raised as you heaved the bucket of water over the edge of the sink. “I’m a woman, Bard, we notice things.”

“Oh,” Bard said, admiring the apple he held in his hand.

You chuckled slightly and walked out of the room with the bucket of water. Dumping the steaming liquid into the wash bin, you went away at the laundry. You scrubbed on the board until all the dirt and dust was removed and all that remained was a pure white sheet of fabric. It was a gorgeous day, blue skies and not a single cloud. There was also a light breeze, perfect for helping the laundry to dry quicker. Waddling over to the lines, you placed your heavy basket on the ground and dug into your pocket for the clothes pins. Pluto was eager to help. Rushing up behind you, he pounced. Rolling over, he straddled you, tongue sticking out and a wide goofy grin on his face.

“What a sweet boy,” you said, ruffling his hair. “Do you wish to help me?”

“Arf!” Pluto barked, licking your cheek.

You pushed at him, sitting up. “Alright, alright, hah, you can help!”

Running off, he rested by the basket, poking at it curiously. You got to your feet and reached in for a sheet; Pluto backed up and growled. “It is fine, boy, see.” You held up the wet sheet. “I’m putting it on the line, like this.” Flipping it over, you pinned it in place.

Curiouser than before, Pluto stood up on his legs and imitated you; reaching into the basket, he pulled out another sheet, flipped it over the line, and grabbed a few pins from you. Stepping back, he admired his work, letting out a gleeful yelp. You patted his head. “Well done Pluto, Sebastian would truly be amazed by this. He does not like you very much, but I have a feeling he might find your abilities quite helpful.” Pluto wrapped his arms around you and nuzzled your shoulder, pleased with your words of praise.

Snake interrupted the moment by popping up out of nowhere, scaring you out of your whits. “I am sorry to approach like this, but there is someone on the telephone for you.”

“Oh, how peculiar.” You shared a look with Pluto. “I never get calls, I wonder who it is.”

Detaching Pluto from you, Snake escorted you to the room that housed the telephone. “Hello?” you said.

“Hello!” boomed the voice on the other end.

Your face fell; you recognized the voice. “Hello, brother, is there something I may help you with?” ‘Like dying?’ you thought.

He hesitated for a moment. “I would like you to meet me for tea in the park this afternoon; I do hope you can make it. There is…something I wish to speak to you about.”

That shocked you. “Well, I do not have any plans for this afternoon. What time would you like me there?”

“Two-thirty,” Grell replied.

“I will see you then.” Placing the phone on its stand, you clutched at your chest.

What could your brother want? And why now? You would have figured he was still upset with you over Sebastian and would be stewing away in some corner with a knife. That made you laugh, but you had already agreed, and so you had to fulfill your agreement. Exiting the house, you found the sheets all neatly placed on the lines; trying to hide under the basket was Pluto.

“Did you do all of this?” you asked, pointing at the sheets.

“Arf!” Barking happily, he flung the basket off of himself and wrapped his arms around your legs.

“That is wonderful, Pluto, thank-you.” You bent down and hugged him.

He adored your praise and relented to letting you go back inside for the rest of your chores. You were able to get him off of you by producing a box of Inukko treats and throwing a few off into the woods. He dashed after them madly, tongue flying. It was a spectacle, but you laughed and went back to your duties. There was a lot to do before you were to meet your brother in an hour. Mey-Rin had cleaned the dining room, so that was one less thing to worry about. Bard had said he would clean the kitchen, and Finny was prepared with the landscape. All of them had gotten better at their jobs within the past two years. Mey-Rin was still clumsy, but had better balance, and paid more attention to her work; Bard’s cooking was catching up to Sebastian’s, though still not as splendid in any way, but they tasted decent and were edible, he had also quite smoking and had taken up a strong liking to carrot juice mixed with beat juice; and Finny was now able to make a beautiful landscape design, with the now rare total destruction. Tanaka was the same old same old, though he had found a new herbal tea he enjoyed. You could find him in a corner contently sipping his tea; on sunny days he would either sit in front of a window or out on the bench in the garden; on the colder days, you would find him near the fire, wrapped in a warm blanket. Even though he seemed to not do much, he did his jobs well and proficiently. Snake was doing better as well. His snakes were better trained, not only thanks to your threats, but they now knew when they were allowed to run about and knew if you needed help, for they were helpful in finding items and running messages. Pluto was still his loving doggie self. You were overly pleased in everyone; even Ciel’s spouts of grumpy moods had ceased to exist.

The room you were in was one that was rarely used. It was an entertaining room, but it had so much remembrance of his parents that Ciel avoided it as much as possible. The dust was not as bad as you expected it to be, but it was still a mess; it made the furniture and apparel look bleak and worn. Procuring a duster, you opened the windows and dusted away. You found dust bunnies under the chairs and loveseat, and the mantel had a layer that looked almost like spider webs, for there were several of those found in corners and cracks. A breeze picked up outside and helped with ridding the room of the dust; blowing through, it took the dust with it. The color was a delicate royal blue with gold trimming. Splashes of red and yellow appeared throughout the room from items on shelves and the mantel. Over the mantel hung a portrait of Ciel’s parents, Earl and Lady Phantomhive. Ciel looked so much like his father that it was uncanny. The scene was of the two of them in a delicately wired gazebo with a variety of colored flowers surrounding them. Lady Phantomhive was dressed in a gorgeous baby pink spring dress while Earl Phantomhive was in a cream suit and a brown vest underneath. They were both smiling, deeply in love. It brightened the room with it there; their love filling the room and making it a cheery place to be. You finished cleaning; shutting the windows but leaving the curtains drawn back so the room could get a little sun, you went to the foyer to clean the floors. Mey-Rin was what you found, hands in the soapy water that she had next to her in a bucket.

“Well done Mey-Rin, would you like my help?” you asked, carefully walking over to her.

“No need, Mrs. Orea, I have it all under control.” She smiled back at you. In that moment the bucket tipped from her hands and a stream of water sloshed over the side. “Well, I will have it under control if I watch what I’m doin’, I will.”

You laughed. “Then I will leave you to it.”

Turning back around, you went off to find Tanaka. He was in the counting room, sitting behind the desk with a stack of papers next to him. You knocked on the door before you entered.

“You may come in,” replied Tanaka from inside.

Opening the door, you bowed to him. “Is there any way I can be of service to you, Tanaka?” you asked.

Tanaka shook his head. “I am afraid not. I am only reviewing the receipts from the past three months, nothing too extreme.”

You nodded. “Alright then, but if you do need anything, please ring and I will come.”

“Thank-you, Orea, you are a very kind girl.” Tanaka smiled at you as if he were your loving grandfather.

You returned the smile before you closed the door and went to find Snake so he could keep a message to give to Ciel after he returned. You found him in the kitchen helping Bard with the preparations for dinner.

“Snake, would you do something for me, please?” you asked.

He turned, knife and potato in hand. “What is it that you ask of me?”

“I am to be leaving here at two and will not be back for some time. If Master Ciel and Sebastian return, please inform them that I am away,” you related.

Snake nodded. “I will relay that to them on your orders, Mrs. Orea.”

“Thank-you,” you said.

“Where are ya goin’?” Bard asked, eyebrow cocked in question.

“To meet an acquaintance of mine,” you replied, walking out the door.

“Yeah, yeah.” Bard began laughing hard.

Turning around, you stuck your tongue out at him, making him laugh even harder. You hurried to your room to change into a more suitable attire for an outing. Filing through your closet, you settled on a simple yellow sun dress. You filled your small wrist purse with your scythe, handkerchief, and a small amount of money. There was no need to play with your hair, or facial appearance, your glasses complimented your face and added a bit more color to your ensemble. Throwing a shawl over your shoulders, you left the manor and hailed a carriage. The ride was smooth, but your body shook and your heart raced. The chance encounter before with your brother had not been so well; it had settled on awkward. Taking a deep breath, you steadied your nerves before the carriage stopped next to the pathway that led into the heart of the park, where the gazebo stood. The man who was driving opened the door for you and helped you out. Paying him for the ride, you made your way over to your brother. Grell sat calmly in a seat, filing his nails while he waited on you.

“Beautiful day, is it not?” you said, standing before him.

Grell stood and bowed. “Indeed it is.” He pulled out the other chair for you. “Please, sit.”

You accepted the seat and faced him as he sat and poured the tea. “You have called me out here, why?” you said, watching him as he placed the strainer onto the plate.

He eyed you from above his glasses. “We will get to that in a moment; milk, sugar?” He waved his hand across the items.

“Two spoons and a tip,” you instructed.

He looked at you for a long moment. “That is a very odd way to say yes to milk,” he said, pouring a small amount into the cup. Stirring it, he handed it over to you.

“It is my way of saying only a little without using so many words.” You sipped your tea and looked out over the flat green landscape, dotted with white spring flowers and leafing trees.

Grell said nothing as the two of you drank; he was content to actually say nothing at all, but he knew he must. Finishing his cup, he placed it neatly in front of himself and folded his hands on the edge of the table. “To start out, I do not even know your name. You never graced me with that honor the last time we met.”

You thought over that; it hit you that you actually hadn’t. “I’m sorry to have left you in the dark. Orea is my name,” you answered.

“Orea.” Grell hesitated, memorizing the feel of it. Looking directly at you now, he continued with his questions. “At our first meeting, you told me you were the head of the Reapers and that Father had left it to you and not me; you also said he did not want a man to come after him, why was that?”

You chose your words carefully. “So many of the Heads had been men in the past; namely, all. This time, Father chose for one of his own family to succeed him, not another random person. He wanted a woman, to show that even we in the Reaper society could be tops, not just Weapons Retrieval clerks and wives. Many of the Heads had been against this, but he truly wanted to know how a woman would run it, and if there would be more order or less. If it went well, he wanted to leave it up to the other top department’s votes on whether a woman should hold Head again; if it crashed, a man was to take over again. Mother agreed to running the Head while we were young, knowing all that Father did and still being instructed by him, as he came to visit rarely. I loved those times that he came; it made me so happy and I was always jealous of you. I never got to see him and it hurt not to have a father around for you.”

“He was very proud of you as a child though; he said you were smart, but also funny, you were curious about everything. Then you became a teen and he was ready to pull his hair out.” You chuckled. “He came up not long after you had been put on probation after a sneak in, and he was quite upset. He had seen a change in you, and his proudness was beginning to fade. I always told him I would put you in your place, but he never got to see me fulfill that. They died right before our twentieth birthday. Father had come up to see Mother and I then had taken Mother out to dinner; the restaurant they were at was attacked by a young psychotic demon and they were killed with the Demon Sword; how the demon had acquired the sword, no one still knows. I wept for hours when a man by the name of Undertaker came and told me. I assumed Head then and have been there ever since.”

Grell listened to it all without interrupting once. You could see he was digesting the information slowly so as not to forget any of it. He replied after a long span of silence. “I do remember when the other men from the Reaping department told me Father had passed. They wouldn’t tell me any more on the subject, but I accepted it; everyone has to die at some point, even us long living Reapers.”

You nodded. “Yes; even I feel the weight of three hundred years. It is tiresome, but it is also fulfilling.”

“My, have I actually been alive that long?” Grell stretched. “I still feel like a young blossoming lady.”

You glared at him. “Grell, you are by no means a woman.” You waved a hand at his body. “Every inch of you is male.”

He stuck out his bottom lip. “And why should I see that? Men are so handsome!” His mind wandered off.

You sighed. “You do understand this was one of the reasons Father was disappointed in you? He despised you running after men; he had rounded up a list of all the girls there that wanted to be yours. He had been eager to see you with one, but then he found this out about you and was ready to beat you black and blue.”

Grell hung his head. “I see your point.” There was a sound of secondary hurt in his voice.

Reaching across the table, you placed a hand on his. “There are still women there that would like for you to notice them. I have heard it when I have went for inspections. They hate that you won’t give them the time of day, but they really do like you Grell. Do not forget that.”

He nodded and took your hand in his. “So about Sebastian…”

You knew the rest of the question. “He mated me a century after Mother and Father passed.” You heaved a sigh and continued. “I wasn’t for it at all when he placed the mark on me. I hated him fervently, but the mark changed me, made me see him in a different aspect. We have a contract made with it as well, since the mark has literally bound us together. He is allowed the souls unfit for the afterlife, which, considering, is not a bad deal. I do love him very much now, and the past four years away from him have been incredibly hard.”

Grell’s head hung lower; his shoulders slumped and his aura was gloomy. It worried you to see this, but you let him be. When he spoke, it was faint. “Then what about us? Are we to continue on as before, or are you going to allow visitations?”

You laughed, hearing that come from him. “Silly, you do not need to say anything like that. I am still eager to get to know you, though if you keep up these attitudes, I might just have to put you down for a while.”

He jumped at the last words. “You wouldn’t.”

“Wouldn’t I?” You smiled deviously.

He sat shaking in his chair, a scared expression on his face. “I will remember that, thank-you.”

Standing, you ruffled his hair. “Good I’m glad we could have this chat, but I must be getting back to the manor.”

“Ah,” Grell stood and fumbled around to your side. It made you giggle. “Please allow me to escort you home.” He extended his arm to you.

You took it with a smile. “Thank-you.”

The two of you walked back to the manor arm in arm. Grell did nothing at all to upset you on the trip, which made you happy. It was a rather quiet walk, but it was nice to be with the brother you had never really known. Stopping outside the gate, Grell turned to you and bowed. “I will see you again soon.”

You nodded. “Yes, you shall.” Waving a hand, you shooed him off back to work.

You entered the manor through the back door where you were bombarded with a scene of Bard and Snake trying to pry one of the snakes off of…something.

“What is going on here?” you asked, taking off your coat.

“Wilde thought there was a mouse inside the turkey and now he’s stuck,” replied Snake, yanking again at Wilde.

Bard was upset about that. “How am I to serve this to the master now?”

You were putting on your apron when Sebastian arrived. He noticed you in your outing outfit and shook his head. “Do not go and get that dirty, I will take care of things here.”

You tried to protest but he would hear none of it. Pushing the men aside, Sebastian grabbed hold of Wilde’s upper body and tail. With one fierce yank, Wilde was removed from the turkey and safely placed back in Snake’s arms; he hung limply.

“Thank-you. - says Wilde.” translated Snake.

“You are welcome,” answered Sebastian. “Please do commit to memory though that you do not do this again, do you hear me?”

“Yes. – says Wilde.” Wilde coiled around Snake’s arm and they walked out of the room.

Being able to get his work done now, Bard finished dinner. Sebastian pulled you out of the room and into the adjoining room, locking the door behind him.

“Cozy, is it not?” you asked humorously.

Sebastian chuckled. “Snake informed the master and I that you were out.” He stepped closer. “Where did you go?”

You faced him squarely. “It is not something that requires being locked in a storage room under interrogation; we can talk about this back in your room.” You made for the door, Sebastian blocked it.

“At least tell me a little now,” he asked.

You shook your head. “The others could hear us easily in hear; your room is private.”

Agreeing, Sebastian opened the door and the two of you made for his room. Safely inside, you answered his question. “My brother called upon me today and asked me to tea. He wanted to know the back story of he and I’s past. I told him; I hope now he will ponder over all that information.”

Sebastian stood there, soundless and immovable. Reaching out, you placed your hand on his arm. He snapped out of his daze and took your hand in his, a smile on his lips. “Then I am sorry I worried. I was thinking it might have been Undertaker.”

You jumped at his words. “Why would I ever go out on something like that, with Undertaker no less, and-” You cut yourself off, your face fell in realization. “Oh no, I forgot to ever give him the Records.” You rested your head against Sebastian’s chest. “That was five months go.”

Sebastian let out a long whistle. “Then you had better go over after dinner and give those to him. I am surprised though that he never sent you a message about it.”

“He probably got busy as well, knowing what has been going on here in London.” You dug your face deeper into Sebastian’s chest.

Wrapping a hand under you chin, Sebastian lifted your face to look at him. “That may very well be; you still need to go and deliver those Records to him as you told him you would though.”

You nodded and stood up straight. “Yes, I do. It will help as well with Ciel’s aunt and cousin coming.”

Patting your cheek, Sebastian chuckled. “Plus, you will have more time for me.”

You punched him playfully. “What if I say I don’t want to have more time for you, huh?”

Sebastian’s eyes glowed red and he drew you close. “That would be a terrible shame; I would have to put you under lock and key.”

You laughed, your feet leaving the ground. “That would be terrible.”

Cupping the back of your neck in his hand, Sebastian brought his lips to yours, kissing you sweetly. “What would I ever do without you?” he whispered in your ear, still holding you.

“I do not know,” you answered, wrapping your arms around his neck.

The two of you stood there like that until Sebastian released you and sighed. “It is time for supper; we need to be returning to the kitchen to prepare.”

You made a displeased face. “Do we have to?” you mockingly complained.

Sebastian smiled at your protest. “Yes, we do.”

Heaving a sigh, you went for the door and walked out with your head bent. “Something always finds its way to ruin a good moment.”

Sebastian wrapped an arm around your shoulder. “There will be a better, undisturbed, moment tonight.”

You poked him roughly in the ribcage. “Do not say that out loud, one of the others may hear you.”

The two of you were laughing as you walked into the kitchen. Bard and Mey-Rin exchanged a glance. They said nothing though as you both readied yourselves to serve dinner. Bard placed the fixed plates onto the cart and Sebastian pushed it out, you trailing behind. Ciel was seated in his place at the head, a mixed look on his face. He snapped out of his stare as Sebastian placed the food in front of him.

“Tonight, we have a glazed turkey with trimmings, a side of stuffing, a tossed salad with roasted nuts; and for dessert, an apricot and green tea Mille Fuille.”

Ciel poked at the turkey slices that were on his plate. You poured the watered wine into his glass, though you really wanted to ask him what was troubling him. Dinner was quiet and that make it uncomfortable to be standing around with almost nothing to do. As the last dishes were cleared away, Ciel motioned to the two of you before you left the room. Standing before him, you waited for his words.

“Has all been well for you recently?” he asked, as if not quite sure what to say.

“It has only been a day, but yes, we are doing well, young master,” replied Sebastian, taking your hand, unafraid of what Ciel might say.

Ciel nodded and stood. “Now get going on your chores. Sebastian, meet me in my room in twenty minutes, I shall be ready for bed by then.”

“Yes, sir,” he replied with a bow.

Leaving the room, you were left alone with Sebastian. “That was odd. Is he trying to ask us something of importance by this?” You looked at Sebastian quizzically.

Sebastian pondered over this. “He is not use to the idea of love; he may be trying to see us as what he is to treat Lady Elizabeth like.”

You giggled, taking hold of the cart handle. “That would certainly fit.”

Smiling, Sebastian and you returned to the kitchen where Mey-Rin was waiting. “I’ll do the dishes for you, yes I will,” she said, taking them gingerly off of the cart.

“There’s no need for you to,” you replied, reaching for a plate.

She placed a hand over it. “Mrs. Orea, it is fine. I am capable of helping.”

You stood there, face frozen in shock. Pulling back, you glanced at Sebastian who was exiting the room. “Alright then, thank-you Mey-Rin.”

Giving her a hung, you ran after Sebastian. He was partway to Ciel’s room when you caught up. “Sebastian,” you said, sliding in front of him. “I will leave here soon for Undertaker’s, you do not need to wait up for me.”

Sebastian stroked your cheek. “Then I will do the exact opposite, and with a bonus of coming with you.”

Your mouth dropped. “That is not necessary,” you said. “I will be fine on my own.”

Sebastian rolled his eyes. “I want to come with you,” he said patting your cheek.

You blushed. “Then meet me back at your room as soon as Ciel is finished with you, we shall leave then.”

Taking your hand in his, he kissed it. “As you wish, my lady.”

Sebastian continued on to Ciel’s room and you ran to yours to retrieve the Records. They were strewn about all over the place, you not having found time to clean them up. Organizing them roughly, you stuffed them into a folder and then into a large bag. You were able to see the floor by the time Sebastian knocked on the door.

“You never came, so I came to get you.” He slunk in and wrapped his arms around your waist, making you stop your cleaning.

“I’m sorry, it was a complete mess, so I decided to clean,” you said, trying to get out of his arms.

Sebastian wouldn’t let you go. “I will grab your bag here; you are not getting out of these arms.”

You gave him a pouty face; he wouldn’t buy it. Grabbing your bag off of the bed, he wrapped his arms tightly around you and in a flash you were outside and he was running. You hung on tightly as the wind blew past you, making your face turn bright red. Sebastian finally stopped outside of Undertaker’s shop, placing you on your feet. Instantly, you fell over.

“Whoa!” Sebastian caught you before you could fall on your bottom.

“Are you alright?” Holding tightly to your arm, Sebastian helped you balance.

“Yes, you only caught me off guard when you set off like you did.” You clung to him until you stopped swaying.

Sebastian looked at you sympathetically. “I am sorry, I did not mean to do that to you.”

You laughed. Arm in arm, you both walked into Undertaker’s shop. Surprisingly, the door was unlocked. The room was pitch black; you almost fell over as your foot caught a coffin.

“Ow,” you breathed.

You almost jumped out of your skin as a noise came from across the room. “Now you come.” Lighting a lamp, Undertaker strode in before you. “It has been a while, Orea.” He noticed Sebastian and giggled. “You as well, Sebastian.”

You clung even tighter to Sebastian as Undertaker sat down on the coffin in front of you. You took the bag from Sebastian and handed it to Undertaker. “I am sorry for forgetting to bring them to you, but here are the Records. They are a bit of a mess, but I feel you can put them back in order.”

Undertaker took the bag from you and peeked inside. “Now I am the one holding life and death in my hands.” He laughed at his joke.

“If you would finish these for me, I would direly appreciate it,” you said.

Undertaker nodded and indicated the coffin across from him. “Please, sit down and I will make us some tea.”

Sebastian and you sat down and waited on Undertaker to return. The two of you said nothing as you waited; your mind was reeling, what would Undertaker say, this was his first time seeing Sebastian with you. Returning with three cups full to the brim, he handed one to each of you then sat back down across from you.

Taking a sip, Undertaker laid his cup aside and examined the two of you. “Very well indeed,” he said his hands cradling his chin. “You two suit each other rather completely, if I do say so. I never knew that until now.”

You blushed profusely. Undertaker laughed as he noticed. Gazing next to you, he eyed Sebastian. “And I hear you require the souls that are deemed unfit for the next life, am I correct?”

Sebastian nodded. “Yes. Currently, I am contracted to Ciel Phantomhive, so I cannot fulfill the contract made with Orea all those years ago as of right now.”

Undertaker nodded. “And how is that search going? Have you found any new leads?”

You waited on Sebastian to answer Undertaker. “No, nothing so far,” replied Sebastian. “We have not had any luck since the church incident.”

Giggling, Undertaker took another sip of his tea. “That is most unfortunate, but I see his soul is ripening to your taste.”

Sebastian’s eyes glowed red and his features darkened. “Yes, it is. A delicious soul it will be.”

You did not say a word as the men spoke. It surprised you how easily Undertaker and Sebastian spoke to one another over the workings of a demon. You had figured Undertaker, still a Reaper deep inside, would have objected, but he had long since thrown that part of him aside; he did not care that he sat talking to a demon about soul consumption. You were startled when you were poked in the knee with a sharp object. Looking up, Undertaker was pulling away from you with a whittled piece of wood in his hand.

“You were fazed out,” he said, placing the stick next to him. “I needed to snap you out of it somehow.”

You gave Sebastian a glance, but he seemed to be okay with what Undertaker had done, even had possibly told him to do it. Your eyes narrowed, but he would not meet your gaze. Looking back at Undertaker you asked, “What do you need?”

He laughed. “For a start, I want that sour look off of your face.” He made a funny face, to which you did not smile. “Secondly, when I do get these sorted, what ones do you want me to pay special attention to?”

He dug through the bag as you answered. “There are none in particular that need attention. Sebastian cannot have ones, as he said, and so there is no need to set them aside. The ones that will be allowed to live, they need to have the seal placed on them, but that is not out of the norm.”

Undertaker nodded and threw the bag onto the counter; one of the files spilling out and some of the papers scattered out onto the floor. “Then I will get on them right away.” He stood and Sebastian and you followed. Undertaker opened the door for you as you left, smiling he leaned against the doorframe. “Have a good evening you two. The next time I see you, we will have to do something other than a mid night teat party.”

That made you giggle. “Yes, we should.” You nudged Sebastian. “Sebastian could make some decadent cakes.”

Sebastian patted your shoulder. “We shall see.”

Waving you off, Undertaker said his goodbyes and you left for the manor. Resting your head against Sebastian’s shoulder, you walked back in silence. The night sky was clear and you could see all the stars and the moon was half full. Owls were hooting off in the woods and there were howls from dogs; crickets also sang their songs, making the night filled with nature’s music. The light of the moon played across the pavement as you turned onto the road that led to the manor. Stopping short, Sebastian moved from your side and stood directly in front of you, a hand extended.

“May I have this dance?”

You placed your hand in his and he smiled. The light of the moon gave the shadow that darkened his face a soft glow. Holding your hand up in the air and wrapping the other lightly around your waist, the two of you twirled around in circles until the gates of the manor were on your back. You laughed; there was no actual dance, but the childish game of ring-around-the-rosy that you were playing was actually fun. The cold metal of the bars hit your back and you gasped, wrapping both arms around you, Sebastian held you close.

“Are you cold?” he asked, your body shivering slightly.

The light cast your silhouettes across the ground, making it seem as if there were two different worlds at the same time. You buried your face into his chest and let him hold you; there was no reason to be going into the manor right away.

“Sebastian,” you said, turning your head so he could hear you.

“Yes?” He bent his head down to your face.

“Let us end this night pleasantly.” You buried your face back into his chest.

Laughing lightly, he picked you up and carried you into the manor, your head rested against his shoulder again. “I thought it already had been a pleasant evening,” he said as the back door came into view.

“I do not know,” you replied. “I have this indescribable feeling and it is eating at me.”

“And you wish for me to sooth it?” Sebastian questioned as he led you back to his room.

You looked him in the eyes and that was answer enough. The two of you slipped quietly into his room, the rest of the house perfectly silent. With a slight squeak of the hinge as the door closed, the evening ended.