Status: This is set in the 'YOU' look, as if you're describing yourself. Orea (you) is a girl. I do hope you like this story and will enjoy it!

His Maid, Her Butler

His Maid, Reaping What Was Sewn

You hurried back to your room so you could change for your outing. The only problem that came to your mind was trying to get out of the manor without being noticed. Shuffling through your travel bag, you found your bundle with your work clothes neatly packed away. You changed quickly, making sure you were keeping time so as not to be late; grabbing the letter opener from the desk drawer, and also the book that fairly resembled a journal, you proceeded to leave the manor through the window in your room. Pluto greeted you as you dropped to the ground.

“Arf!” he barked happily. He was no longer in his human form, but his dog form could still give you away.

“Hush boy.” Digging into your pocket, you produced a dog treat. “If I give you this, will you stay quiet that I left?”

Pluto began to drool. “Arf!”

Tossing it at him, you ran off towards town. “Good boy, Pluto! See you after while.”

You sped towards London, jumping from tree top to tree top. You were thankful your uniform was a pair of pants, or you would have been walking the entire way. Landing on a rooftop, you checked your ledger, also known as the ‘To Die’ list. ‘Even though I may be the Head of the Grim Reapers, I still have my part to play as one.’ You scanned the list for the nearest date.

“Victor Halsdence. Born March 8, 1816. Died June 14, 1889 due to a heart attack. Last quotes: none.” Slipping quietly into the room below you found the body of the elderly man and cut his Cinematic Records. “One down, forty more to go.”

You went from house to house, alley to alley, collecting all the records that needed collecting. You knew there were more that had past, and that made you wary that another Reaper might see you, but you continued your rounds. Time pasted slowly that night; near ten you had only collected fifteen Cinematic Records. Exiting the house you had just occupied, a chill went down your spine. You spun around, looking for the eyes you could feel were watching you. Darkness was all you saw.

“Who’s out there?” you called out. Silence. You continued to stand there, ready for whatever may come. “I know you’re there, you do not have to hide.”

A rustling sound came from an alley to your left; a man in a black suit stepped out. “I’ve never seen you before. What department of the Reapers are you from?”

It was William T. Spears. He was a well known Reaper, working over hours to accomplish many tasks, though he hated the unpaid overtime. You sighed in relief, but also kept your guard up.

“I am not from your areas, Mr. Spears, I am a hierarchy. I am in the Main corp.,” you replied.

William started at his name. “How do you know me? I did not even introduce myself.” He pushed his glasses back up on his face.

You grinned slyly. “I am Orea Michealis, Head of the Reapers.”

William faltered. “I’m so sorry, Mrs. Michealis! I did not know. Please, forgive my rudeness.” He bowed humbly.

“You are alright, Mr. Spears, but please, do keep your knowledge of seeing me a secret. I try not to get myself seen; this is a first in many, many, years.”

“As you wish, Mrs. Michealis.” William bowed.

“Thank-you,” you replied. “Now, get back to work, or you will have more overtime.” You giggled.

William did not appreciate your joke. “Yes, I must get back.” With that he disappeared.

Continuing your rounds, you spread all over London in search of souls. By midnight, you finished your work. It saddened you to see the people die and their loved one’s hurt, but it was the way of the human world; they were fleeting beings. Your last case however, hit you hard. The victim was a small child, a little boy of the age of six. He was suffering from scarlet fever, and was slipping away by the minute. You stood outside the window, looking in on the scene; his mother sat by his bedside, holding his hand tightly. His father was over in a corner, hiding his head in his arms, seeming not to cry, but he was. You stood there, your own tears falling, but you read your ledger, it made the plans as to who was going to die, and you couldn’t stop it.

“Anthoney Teir. Born February 3, 1883. Died June 15, 1889 of scarlet fever.” Peaking back in the window, you saw Anthoney’s mother’s face fall in despair as her son drew his last breath. His father rushed to his side and fell beside the bed, weeping bitterly. They did not see it, but out of the little boy’s body came a reel of film, his Cinematic Records. Quietly, you opened the window and watched the Records role; as it came to the end you pulled out the letter opener, it growing as it was unsheathed, and it reverted to its original form, a scythe. Reaching out to the Records, with one swift motion, they were cut, ending his life. All of this was recorded in the ledger and it closed. You stood by, watching the parents grieve. “I am sorry for your loss, but I cannot undo the Records. I truly am sorry.”

Turning your back on them, you prepared to return to the manor. The tears fell as you ran, making it difficult to see. The world was cruel, no one was untouched by it; the lives of all were precious, but the joy of a child was fleeting. Children were as life, here for a while then gone, grown up. You did desire to have children of your own, but you swore you would not let them be harmed by the world, though you knew someday they would be. The manor came into view as you slowed down on the path; Pluto noticed you, lifting his head and his tail began to wag.

“Hello there again, Pluto. I’m sorry to wake you.” You patted his head fondly. “Now, go back to sleep.”

Pluto yawned and curled back up, drifting off quickly. Smiling, you found your bundle of clothes and changed behind the nearest bush. It took you a little bit to find the back door in the dark, but you found it just fine and knocked. Sebastian opened it for you.

“You were out quite late. May I ask as to whom you went to see?” You entered the kitchen and faced him, hiding the bundle behind your back.

“An old acquaintance of mine,” you lied. “She had asked me to come when I told her I was moving this way, but I forgot about it until last night. We had a swell time getting to see each other again.”

Sebastian stared at you, his face not changing. “Alright then; but please, the next time you decide to go off, do not come back this late. I do not want the hands that help run this manor to be wearing themselves out to where they cannot work.”

“Yes, Sebastian, I understand,” you said.

Sebastian led you to your room, as he was the one holding the candlestick. You walked in silence, not being able to bring yourself to talk about anything, but you liked the presence of Sebastian near you. The door to your room came into view much too soon for your taste.

Sebastian bowed. “Good-night Miss Creaton. Sleep well.”

“Good-night, Sebastian,” you replied. He continued to stand there, examining you like some criminal. You shuddered under his gaze; his red eyes were piercing. “Sebastian, is something wrong?”

Instantly, he snapped out if it. He smiled at you sweetly. “No, it’s nothing. Please, sleep well.” Turning his back on you, he walked back the way the two of you had come.

Slipping into your room, you sank onto the floor behind the door, bursting into tears. You sat there the rest of the night; eventually you fell asleep, having cried your eyes dry. ‘Death brings sorrow; why must there always be this darkness that lingers over humanity? It follows as a shadow, it hunts like a sniper, and it takes its prey. No one is beyond its reach. All souls must be laid to rest one day, having been devoured by the solitude of eternal slumber. All souls, may they rest in piece.’

You awoke the next morning to the door jabbing into your back. “Orea, what is going on? Why won’t this door open? Orea?” Wiping the sleep from your eyes, you rolled over and the door burst open. Sebastian and Mey-Rin stood before you.

“Orea, what’s wrong?” Mey-Rin made a dash for you. A worried look passed over her face. “Your face is all red, yes it is.”

You bowed your head. “I’m sorry. This won’t happen again.”

Sebastian entered the room and took you by the arm and helped you into the chair by your desk. “That is a reassurance, but I want to know something else.” He pulled out a handkerchief and handed it to you. “Forgive my rudeness, but after you retired to your room, I came back and stood outside the door. I heard you crying. Is something the mater?”

That shocked you and made you start crying all over again. Mey-Rin held you close, trying to comfort you the best that she could. Sebastian stood next to you, a hand on your shoulder. You cried for a good twenty minutes before finally calming down.

“Yes, there is something,” you replied. “I hid it from you, Sebastian, because I did not want to disturb you with such silly news, since we women find sad things rather extremely sad. But it is nothing for you to worry yourself about, just some information my friend gave me, that is all.”

Sebastian scrunched his eyebrows, pondering, then he took your face into his hands and made you look at him. “Then if you do not wish to share, please prepare yourself for the day and begin your duties. Mey-Rin, you stay with her, she will need you.”

Standing up, he left the room, leaving you in Mey-Rin’s care. “He’s just upset as usual. Don’t let it get to ya, he should cheer up by this afternoon, yes he should.”

You chuckled. “You are sweet Mey-Rin, I am glad to have you here.”

She laughed. “With you here, I’m not the only girl.” She stared at you then. “Um, if you don’t mind me pryin’, you would be willin’ to tell me why you’re crying?”

That made you laugh. “It is nothing, as I said. A little boy passed away last night, that is all.”

Mey-Rin hugged you and started crying as well. “That is sad!”

‘That’s not the true story, but yes, it was sad, Mey-Rin, it was.’ You let her hold you for a while longer before you burst out of the chair and began to hurriedly get yourself together. “Mey-Rin! We need to go! Sebastian will get on our hides if we dawdle anymore!”

“Oh, that is true! I better go now!” With that, she ran out the door.

You followed not long after. You first went over everyone, making sure they were in their place. Finny was in the garden, pulling the weeds, Bard was cleaning the kitchen of the breakfast dishes, Mey-Rin had found herself to do the waxing of the banisters, Snake was off doing an errand for Ciel, and Tanaka was…being Tanaka. You then proceeded to put yourself to doing your own work. Grabbing a bucket with the necessities, you went around the house, tidying up each room as needed; the library you left last to clean up. You walked in on Ciel and Lady Elizabeth.

“Oh! I’m sorry young master, I did not know the two of you were in here, please excuse me.” You bowed and began to turn around when Elizabeth squealed in delight and flung herself towards you.

“Orea! Come here, I need you to do something for me.” Elizabeth grabbed you by the hand and dragged you over to the table where they were sitting. She pointed to the deck of cards. “Beat him at Old Maid for me! I can’t seem to win.”

You chuckled at her request and looked at Ciel for permission; he nodded and began shuffling the cards. You took the seat Elizabeth had resided in and she eagerly hovered over you. Handing you your cards, the game began. He drew first from your hand, and then you did the same. The table became littered with matches, mainly on your side. Ciel’s face became more frustrated as the game continued on. In the end, it came down to three and 4 cards in the other’s hand. You drew from Ciel’s hand and he then drew from yours; his eyes widened. “How…”

A devious grin crossed your face. “I was told not to lose, young master, so I did not lose, as instructed.”

Elizabeth gasped and ran to Ciel’s side and examined his card. She giggled with excitement. “You did it, Orea, you really beat him! Thank-you so much!” Wrapping her arms around your neck, she hugged you.

“Lady Elizabeth, you are most welcome.” It made you happy to see her like she was. Ciel tossed his card onto the pile on the table and sat there with his eyes closed.

Elizabeth stuck her tongue out at him. “He’s just upset because you beat him. Oh well, perhaps another time,” she giggled.

Sebastian entered the room with a cart of tea at this point. He jumped at the sight of you in the chair. Standing, you bowed. “I was playing a game with the young master by instruction of Lady Elizabeth.”

Setting a cup of tea in front of Ciel, he nodded. “Very well. And how did the game turn out?”

“She beat him!” cried Elizabeth. “I was playing Old Maid with Ciel, but he kept beating me each time, but then Orea walked in and she won! You should have seen the expression on Ciel’s face!”

Sebastian was shocked. “My, my. You are very good then; maybe I should play you tonight.”

Ciel’s mouth quirked in a grin. “Yes, you do that. It will be some quality time for you.”

Sebastian bowed. “As you wish, my lord.”

You stood there, watching the scene as if struck, for which you were. You were being allowed a long one-on-one time with Sebastian. Not being able to tell, everyone had stopped what they were doing and were staring at you, concerned. You snapped out of it by the touch of a hand on your shoulder.

“Are you alright?” Sebastian whispered in your ear.

Your face flushed. “Yes, quite.”

With another look of concern, he nodded. “Then go back to your duties, I will take care of here.”

“Thank-you.” You bowed and left the room with your bucket.
“I look forward to our match tonight,” Sebastian said as you began to step out the door.

“As do I.” You continued out the door and returned to cleaning the house.

You scrubbed the foyer floor, admiring the shininess of it. It was something to keep your mind off of Sebastian; if it hadn’t, you would have been sitting there staring into a bucket of soapy water with a day-dreamy look on your face. It took you no more than an hour to clean the floor, wiping off the sweat on your brow at the end of your accomplishment. The next task was to help Bard with lunch. He wasn’t in the kitchen when you arrived, but you went ahead anyway and started the dish.

“Murugi Curry, served with chicken that has been boiled with several wonderful spices, and topped with sautéed onions seasoned with coriander and yogurt,” you said to yourself as you pulled out the necessary ingredients for the dish.

You began with cooking the chicken first. Filling a pot with water, you carefully dropped the meat inside and covered it. ‘Once that is cooked, I’ll add the spices.’ You faced the counter. “Now, for the curry.” Taking the bottles of spices, you carefully measured each one with the right amount and added it to the soupy mixture you were creating in the frying pan. As it took shape into a nice sauce, you remembered something Sebastian had added to his curry a year or so back. Producing a small package, you unwrapped the chocolate bar and crumbled it up into the sauce. ‘Nice and rich.’ It began to smell wonderful in the kitchen, eventually making you wish you hadn’t used the entirety of the chocolate in the dish, just so you could have had something to snack on. The chicken, on high, boiled within an hour and a half; when it was done, you removed it from the pot, poured most of the water out, returned the chicken to the pot and added the spices that would season it as it cooked again. Next, you sautéed the onions, seasoning them right away with the coriander and yogurt. They cooked nicely, giving off a wonderful scent.

It hit you as you were completing the meal that Bard hadn’t shown up whatsoever; that made you worried. Finny came in at that moment, drawn in by the smell wafting in the air.

“Smells wonderful in here, Orea,” he said, drooling.

You laughed. “I’m sorry, but you cannot have any yet.”

Finny frowned. “Aw, come on, just a small taste, please?”

You shook your head. “No, Finny; besides, I was wondering, have you seen Bard around?”

Finny scratched his head. “Now that you mention it, no; I haven’t seen him since this morning.”

“He went into town for some things; who knows what.” Tanaka entered the kitchen.

“Okay; I wish he had told me though before he left,” you said with a huff. “I’ve been waiting for him for help, but he never showed up. I’m going to have to have a word with him when he returns.”

“Leave that to me.” Sebastian entered, preparing to retrieve the meal as soon as it was finished.
“Alright, I will,” you replied, sticking your tongue out at him behind his back.

Finny giggled and Sebastian turned around to see the reason, but you had faced the stove again. Mey-Rin filed in next, done with her chores. “It smells wonderful! It’s makin’ my mouth water, yes it is!”

“You will be able to eat it soon,” you told her, beginning to fill the young master’s plate.

Everyone else had gathered at the table, ready to eat after the young master and Lady Elizabeth’s plates were filled. Mey-Rin joined them and started humming a happy tune. Soon, everyone was singing along, even Sebastian who stood next to the cart placing the last few items onto it.

“Alouette, gentille Alouette; Alouette je te plumerai; Alouette, gentille Alouette; Alouette je te plumerai; Je te plumerai la tte; Je te plumerai la tte; Et la tte, et la tte; Alouette, Alouette; O-o-o-o-oh.”

As the verses continued, you listened to Sebastian sing; it was strong and charming, fluent and agile. You wished it would continue, but he finished what he came for and left the kitchen with the food. Snake, who you hadn’t seen that morning, followed him for the meal. That left the rest of you to eat your fill. Grabbing a few more plates, you dished out enough for everyone who was present. They all gratefully took the food and started eating right away. You sat down last and was beginning to eat when Bard walked in, carrying a rather large package under his arm.

“Afternoon, everyone!” He said.

“Hello,” chimed Mey-Rin and Finny together.

“Ho,ho,ho,” said Tanaka.

Bard sniffed the air. “Smells good in here, what’s for lunch?”

“I don’t know if I should let you have any. I was never informed you’d be late,” you said hotly, back turned to him.

Bard scratched the back of his head. “Heh, sorry ‘bout that; I shoulda told ya. But I went into town for this.” Opening the bag, he produced a chef’s hat; a rather tall one. “I thought that since I was getting better over the past few days, I ‘ad to ‘ave one of these!”

Pulling off the hat he already wore, he place the chef’s hat on his head. It looked like he had a tall white tube on his head. It made you laugh to see it on his mop of blond hair.

“Bard, don’t you think it looks a little...large?” you asked, eyebrow raised.

“Nah! It looks great I think!” He strode around the kitchen; Finny, Mey-Rin and Tanaka parading behind him.

You heaved a sigh, but let him be; he was content and not getting himself into trouble. Dishing out a plate for him, you all sat down to eat.

Bard smacked a hand against his leg, scaring all at the table. “Orea, this is delicious!”

You were staring at him, heart still pounding, but you recovered and cleaned up the sauce that had spilt. “I am glad. Next time, though, it will be you making it.”

Bard made a sour face. “Mine could never be as wonderful as this.”

“All you have to do is try,” you said, taking another bite.

Bard laughed. “I’ve been tryin’ for the past four years.”

“Still, you will get better,” you winked. “I promise you that.”

Bard went silent; the rest of the meal was eaten with only the noise of the forks hitting the plates. When lunch was over, everyone filed out with full bellies. The only ones left for you to feed were Snake and Sebastian, and who knew when they would be back from the dining room. You began to clean up as you waited, washing the dishes, wiping everything down, sweeping the floor, and straitening up the shelves where the pots and pans went. The men arrived a quarter past noon.

“All done?” you asked rhetorically, seeing Snake lightly rubbing his stomach. “I’ll get you your food, go sit down.”

They did as you told them without a word. A few of Snake’s friends made themselves known and congregated on the side of the table with Snake. You did not appreciate this, but you let them stay, knowing Snake would have fed them under the table if you told them no.

“The young master told me to tell you ‘well done’,” said Sebastian, taking a bite.

“I’m flattered.” You started giggling. “I just thought about it, I’ve been praised a lot since coming. I do like the attention, but you do not need to do so. Just seeing you enjoy something I do is payment enough.”

Sebastian and Snake both listened as you spoke. Snake and his friends finished the food in the blink of an eye and the snakes began asking for more.

“I’m sorry, it’s all gone. But, if you wish to lick the pan clean before I wash it, be my guest.” The snakes hesitated at your words, for the pan was still on the stove. “No, I will not turn it on, I promise.”

“I do not wish to become flayed snake. - says Goethe,” interpreted Snake.

The snakes gathered at the pan and licked the sauce off of it, making the pan spotless. Sebastian said nothing the whole time, he was content to sit and watch you usher about, finishing the chores. Snake thanked you for the meal and left with his reptilian friends following. Everything was quiet in the kitchen; Sebastian sat at the table, unmoving, and you stood by the sink, awkwardly continuing to dry your hands.

“So,” you said, finally breaking the silence. “What is on the list for today for you?”

“I am quite free until the next meal,” replied Sebastian.

His voice, the way he said those words, made a prickling sensation climb up your back. “That’s nice; what d you plan on doing then?”

Sebastian produced a set of cards. “How about I take you up on that game mentioned earlier?”

“Oh, Sebastian, I wish I could, but I still have some more of my own duties to attend to,” you said regretfully, heart racing. “Can we play tonight, after everyone has gone to bed?”

Placing the stack of cards back into his suit jacket, he nodded. “As you wish.” Standing, he made his way for the door. “I will see you tonight then.”

“Yes,” you barely were able to utter.

Your face had grown red and your heart was hammering in your chest. You wanted him so badly, it pained you not to be near him. ‘I should tell him; no, I can’t do that, he has to remember on his own. Oh, this is so tedious!’ You slammed the towel onto the counter harshly and strode out of the kitchen and out the back door. It was a beautiful day, birds were singing, animals were skittering about, the wind blew peacefully, but you noticed none of it. Staring straight ahead, you walked right into the wooded area of the property; you were looking for Pluto. He found you. Sneaking up behind you, he tackled you; thankfully he was already clothed.

“Pluto!” you giggled, trying to push him off.

“Arf!” Pluto’s tongue hung out of his mouth, a delighted grin on his face. He sniffed you over, looking for something; when he found it, he tried to rip your skirt from you.

“Whoa, boy, whoa!” Pluto stopped and stared at you eagerly. Digging into your pocket, you produced a dog treat. “Is this what you were searching for?”

A wild grin spread across his face. Snatching the dog treat out of your hand, he greedily ate it. You laughed at his boisterous amount of energy; you flung your arms around him and gave him a hug.

“Pluto, you truly are a wonderful dog.” You kissed his forehead and rested your head on his shoulder.

He stared at you, treat hanging out of his mouth. Before you knew it, you were pinned under him and he was licking you face. “Arf! Arf! Ruff!”

You laughed hard, putting your hands up to evade his numerous dog-kisses. “H-hey boy, come now; you don’t have to get that excited.”
Pluto didn’t hear you and continued to lick you. You gave up on an escape plan; it wouldn’t do you any good to sneak away if he let you up. He settled down after a while, resting his head against your chest and curling up half on-half off of you, smiling contently. Seeing him like that reminded you of a child; pure, sweet and innocent. Sighing, you played with his hair.

“Oh, Pluto, if only the people of the world were as you. All fun loving and forgiving, there would be very little to no hate; all would be peace.”

Making a sound that sounded closely similar to a cat’s purr, Pluto clung tighter to you. You laughed quietly and curled in next to him, falling fast asleep.