Status: Bruce Banner: You might not like that. Tony Stark: You just might.

The Science of Monsters

I Don't Wanna be Fixed!

My eyes lids fluttered open. Instinctively, I covered my eyes to avoid the blinding light, but it wasn’t blinding. White hospital walls and harsh suffocating light were nowhere to be found; instead, the sun warmed my icy skin, and I wore a fresh change of clothes. I stood up from the comfortable chair I’d found myself in and walked around the area. It appeared to be a normal park, until the line of trees in the distance slid open.

“She’s awake,” a deep voice echoed through the room. It held a pleased tone which made me worry twice as much as I already worried.

A tall, muscular black man limped briskly toward me. His long leather, matrix like coat caught a breeze and lifted slightly behind him revealing his well ironed black slacks and dirty loafers. I watched him walk; his broad shoulders set back in perfect posture gave him an extra air of confidence that the eye patch over his left eye and limp took away. The scars that protruded from the patch brought sadness to his face rather than anger. Something about him didn’t seem right, but the problem didn’t present itself right away.

“Where are we?” I asked as I glanced around. Birds flapped overhead while kids laughed in the opposite direction of the trees.

“We are still inside Shield headquarters.” The man stopped about five feet from me and sat on a rogue bench. “This is a special room created by Tony Stark to calm people like you down.”

“People like me?”

“Yes.” He nodded. “Angry people don’t always work well in my…normal environment.” He motioned for me to take a seat. “You understand?”

“No.” I stared at him with my brow raised while I stood my ground. “Why am I here? Who are you?”

“Anybody ever tell you, you ask too many damn questions?” The right side of his lip curled. He seemed to snarl at me for a moment, but it was nothing more than his way of laughing.

“Yeah, but that didn’t answer any of them!” I glared as annoyance filled my veins. “Tell me, who you are first.”

“I am Director Fury.” He held his hand toward me. I didn’t move. “Well.” He shook his head and laced his fingers together. “The Avengers report to me. Most of them anyway.”

“What’s that got to do with me?”

“Nothing, maybe everything? I’m not entirely sure yet.” He patted the bench beside him. “Sit down; let me explain.”

I shook my head before reluctantly sitting. “Continue.”

“It was hard as hell to get Banner on board the first time.” He looked into the distant clouds floating in the midst of the forever blue sky. “He believes he’s some monster that needs to be contained. Now, I’m not saying I disagree with that, but I think if he plays his cards right he could be a hero. Hell, he is the hero of New York.”

“Okay, but that doesn’t-“

“I’m not finished,” Fury hissed. He took a deep breath. “Shield wants Fury to help develop cures for different things. Alien viruses, radiation leaks, this thing you have.”

“Wait a minute?” I sprung from my seat holding my hips. “What thing I have?”

“Hawkeye told me you referred to it as a virus. We need to find a way to fix it so no one else contracts-“

“No, no, no! Listen.” I pointed my finger at him as my body heat began to rise. “I don’t need to be fixed. People like you, thinking I need to be fixed, is got me in this mess! Maya Hansen created this shit with the help of Aldrich Killian. You want to fix something, go fix them!”

“Maya is dead.” He grabbed my finger and pushed it away. “Don’t do that again.”

“Maya’s not dead! She just came to see me like two weeks ago.”

“Maya Hansen died in a fire started by Aldrich Killian,” Fury informed me as he stood. “The intelligence department believes that Killian is dead too. Iron Man killed him before he went off grid.” I caught the slight eye roll as he said ‘Iron Man.’

“Serves them both, but I don’t wanna be fixed.”

“We have to captives that don’t have your control, so,” Fury said while walking toward the trees he came from. “I’ll send in Bruce to say his goodbyes.”

“What goodbyes?”

I understood at that moment exactly what Bruce meant when he told Coulson no one called him because Shield ruined lives. We were fine until Coulson came along. I had a new friend that’s an amazing man, and Bruce finally found someone who could relate to him. Shield didn’t need to know about me or what I do, but they found out about me. Unfortunately, I knew the goal they were shooting for all to well.

“I don’t wanna be fixed, Fury! I’m not broken!” My voice echoed through the room as the trees slid open and shut behind him. “I am not broken,” I whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image


Here's the weekly update. I hope you guys like it. There's a lot coming up, so stay tuned.

Image