Status: Bruce Banner: You might not like that. Tony Stark: You just might.

The Science of Monsters

Let me Save You...Again

Bruce sat in his cage like a good monster. He stared at the empty room while the computers hummed around him. Everything moved and breathed around him, but he was just a statue. At that moment, he was nothing more than a fly on a wall in an inescapable glass jar. Hatred flooded his mind as he closed his eyes and leaned the back of his head against the cool glass. Coulson finally appeared, looking as grim as ever.

“Banner,” the short, balding man stated as he tapped on the glass. “You called.”

“They don’t like it when you tap the glass,” Bruce croaked before he lifted his head from the glass.

“You didn’t call me to make jokes, Banner.” Coulson watched Bruce tilt his head back against the glass.

“I have questions about this offer, Phil.” Bruce opened his eyes and stared at the twitching gears above him. Those gears prepared to drop him if necessary, not that dropping him out of the sky would do any harm. “I don’t trust Fury to give me the answers the way I want them.”

“How do you want them?”

“Honest.” Bruce sighed as he focused his dark muddy brown eyes on Coulson. “I want the truth.”

Coulson pulled up a chair and sat with perfect posture near the railing. “I can’t guarantee answers, but I’ll try my best.”

“What’s this offer really about? Come on, do they really want me to be a scientist again?”

“Yes. We just got word that there are a lot of people contracting alien viruses after the whole Loki incident.” Coulson lowered his eyes. “My new team even had a scare recently.”

“I’m supposed to sit in an enclosed office and discover genetic cures for alien viruses after all the shit Shield and the military has put me through?” Bruce rested his forehead on the palm of his hand. “And the only good offer for the whole thing is that I get to see Betty again?”

“That’s not a good offer though,” Coulson stood. “She turned you over…what…twice?”

“Probably more than that, but I remember two times.” Bruce watched Coulson as he began to pace.

“The thing is, you have to deal with General Ross. He’s insisting.” Coulson stopped pacing. “You cannot say no to this, Bruce.”

“Why?” Bruce stood from his chair and marched toward Coulson. “Tell me why they can’t leave me in peace?”

“You can’t turn this down because Fury doesn’t take rejection well, and you know he’ll take his anger out on the one thing he knows will cause you pain right now.” Coulson took a step back as Bruce glared into his eyes. “They’re afraid of you. You can’t be left undealt with, Banner.”

“Tell them yes, but I have a couple conditions.” Bruce turned away from Coulson.

Image

“LET ME OUT OF HERE, YOU BASTARDS!” Scarlett screamed and kicked the part of the trees that let Fury escape about an hour earlier. She couldn’t be held any longer. Beads of sweat welled on her clammy skin as her stomach continued to summer-sault against her chest. Her heart pounded so hard that it should’ve been on the outside, but her ribcage kept it contained, like this room held her. Fury said it was meant to calm, but her blood pressure banged against her temples.

“LET ME-!” the sliding doors few open causing her to fall forward. Her stomach hit the floor with a sickening thud causing her to lose what little grip she had. Two pairs of shoes—one pair of expensive loafers and one pair of Wal-Mart brand sneakers—backed away from the stomach acid washing over the floor. Scarlett coughed and gagged.

“I thought you said calm room.” His familiar voice flooded her ears. “It’s hot as hell in here.” She spit before letting herself sob. He wasn’t supposed to be here. Why would they let him see her like this?

“Stark obviously has some tinkering to do.” She recognized Coulson’s slick tone. “But I think the heat is her choice.”

Someone wrapped warm fingers around her sweaty arm while supporting her waist. “Come on,” Bruce whispered, “let me save you...again.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry for the shortness of this chapter. I'm trying to wrap Bruce and Scarlett up nicely, even though I really don't want to. You guys have no idea how hard I've been shipping my own character with Bruce Banner! Meant to be. But there comes a time in every story where we have to set up for a sequel and prepare to bring characters back. So yes. This is sad, and the next chapter will be sad too (and should be posted today or tomorrow, hopefully before I'm drunk).

Happy New Years everyone.... even though I'm trying to make you cry. :(