Status: A completed contest one-shot story

Edge of Heaven

This One's For You

"Where are you going?" Keaton called out as his boyfriend let go of his hand and quickened his walking pace when one of their friends pointed out a staircase.

Of course, old abandon buildings weren't very romantic but to this couple, as well as their friends, it was one of the most interesting places to hang out in a small town. This one happened to be near an abandon railroad track and a few lots away from a old graveyard.

"To the top!" Zayne called back, looking back at the others with a smile of his face.

Before anyone could say anything, the dark haired boy was already half way up the first staircase, his signature smile stuck on his face. No one in this small town believed that Zayne was a model for clothing stores here in Europe. Even Keaton couldn't believe he was dating a model since his background was a bit less glamorous. Born and raised for part of his childhood, the boy had moved to Europe when he was around 7 or 8 years old and then became friends with Zayne in school.

Quickly returning his thoughts to the present, Keaton found himself standing outside on a patio of some sorts. His gaze looked around, finding his friends had scattered out across it and were looking around from different spots. Zayne was standing in front of him, leaning over the edge of the rail and looking out at the railroad tracks in the distance.

"How's the view?" He asked, coming to stop near the railing to follow his boyfriend's gaze. A smile was suck on his face, one that was rarely shown when Zayne wasn't around.

"It's amazing." The other replied, moving to lean against Keaton instead of over the railing.

"Only the best for you." Keaton mumbled, wrapping his arms around the model as the blue sky turned pink, orange, and a little yellow as the sun started to set. It was a beautiful scene, but it left both Keaton and Zayne feeling sad more than anything. Tomorrow morning, Zayne would be on his way to a long photoshoot that could last anywhere from a few weeks to a month. This would be their last night together for awhile. As Keaton opened his mouth to say something, something he felt like only had real meaning at the right times, he was interupted.

"Let's go, lovebirds!" Their friends called in unison. Keaton was reluctant to leave, but Zayne had already left his hold and was pulling him towards the door and their friends.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"Don't distract me, you guys!" One of their friends called from the driver's seat as the others started to sing in union to one of their favorite songs. Zayne had moved from his seat into Keaton's lap, laughing and singing terribly to make Keaton laugh.

"Sorry!" Keaton answered, a smile slowly appearing on his face as the car drove down the broken road. It was a bit unnerving for Keaton when he felt the car hit each of the bumps, but he reminded himself that the road was abandoned, like the old building.

His reasoning didn't keep him calm for long though. His gaze went from his boyfriend to a pair of headlights appearing in the distance. At first, they seemed to be traveling at the right speed and on the right side of the road, but as the distance grew shorter, Keaton quickly realized he was wrong. The car was speeding down the road, swerving from one side of the road to the other.

"Pull the car over!" Keaton shouted. Zayne had already turned his gaze to the oncoming headlights and was doing his best to reach out for the steering wheel, but the distance was too close.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Keaton groaned, feeling himself slipping back into consciousness. He could feel nothing but pain and the cold, hard pavement he was laying on. He was on his side, but he could plainly see what had happened.

Their car was no longer on the road and neither was the swerving truck. Instead, both had ended up in a small ditch right off the side of the road. To his surprise, the truck had little damage done to it compared to the car Keaton and Zayne had been in.

Zayne. Fear quickly entered his thoughts as he started to get up and look for the other. Zayne wasn't more than a foot away from Keaton, but the terror didn't leave. A small pool of blood had already started to form, and it looked as if Zayne was either unconscious or in too much pain to move.

"Zayne!" Keaton called out, quickly moving towards Zayne's side. A wave of pain and dizziness quickly hit him, but he kept moving. Fear could plainly be seen on his face, but he wasn't worried about what expression his boyfriend might see right now. "Zayne, are you okay?"

The dark-haired boy's eyes slowly opened, but there was no sign of any feelings in them. "Keaton..." Zayne mumbled, moving slowly to get up.

"Don't move." Keaton quickly replied, grabbing his boyfriend's hands in his. "You're bleeding pretty badly. Help is on the way, though." Of course, Keaton didn't know if that statement was true. His attention had fallen on Zayne before any other thoughts entered his mind.

"So are you..." Zayne replied, squeezing Keaton's hands lightly. "Your side..."

Keaton's hazel gaze left his boyfriend to see if what he was saying was true. He couldn't hide the surprise that quickly took over his terrified expression. Zayne was right, one side of his sweatshirt was covered in his blood. Why hadn't he been able to notice it before? The pain, the dizziness.

"We will be okay." The boy answered as he turned his attention back to the other. Whether that was true or not, he still wasn't completely sure. He could hear voices and shouting in the distance, but he was completely focused on Zayne.

The signature smile slowly appeared on the pale boy's face as he squeezed Keaton's hands again. His lips moved, but no sound came out. Tears began to spill over Keaton's faces, unable to be contained. The only thought that kept racing in his mind as the world seemed to pause around him was 'this can't be happening now' as Zayne's eyes closed.

I love you


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"Keaton!" One of his friends shouted, slowly bringing the boy back to reality. "Keaton! You need to get to the hospital!"

Keaton watch the world unpause around him and found himself laying on the ground, his hands still clutching Zayne's pale ones. Tears were still running down his face as his gaze found his friends and even a few people he didn't recongize. So, help really had been on the way.

He started to close his eyes as he began to feel tired. His friends seemed to be shouting something, but Keaton couldn't make out the words. All of his thoughts began to fade, except for a few. The thoughts of Zayne. His smile, his hair, his voice, and his last words.

More than anything, Keaton wanted to answer Zayne. He wanted Zayne to hear his feelings, even if it was the last time he would ever hear them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"Keaton!" A familiar voice called out to him. One that he never thought he would hear again.

"Zayne?" The boy called back, his heart filling with hope and love. "Zayne, is that you?"

"Of course it is." Zayne laughed. "Just open your eyes, silly."

Keaton slowly opened his eyes. There he was. Zayne standing right in front of him. In a place he hadn't been to since he and Zayne were 7 or 8 years old. They open field where they had spent most of their vacation time in when they first became friends.

This wasn't the same field, though. Something was different. The boy's gaze wandered around, looking for a sign to confirm his suspicions, but he couldn't find any. The sky was a light blue, the grass was green and waving with the slight breeze. The air was light and smelled like his boyfriend.

Before Keaton could figure it out, the thought slipped his mind when his gaze found Zayne's. It was the same Zayne he remembered. The model with his signature smile, dark hair, and not a sign of any other feeling expect love in his eyes.

"Do you remember what I just said?" Zayne asked, bringing Keaton out of his trance.

"No." Keaton answered quietly, heating rising in his cheeks. In fact, he could barely remember anything that had happened short of a few moments ago. He could remember their date to the abandoned building, Zayne leaning over the railing, driving down the road with his friends and Zayne in his lap, but nothing else. He couldn't remember how they ended up here or what had happened after their date to the building.

"I said 'I love you'." Zayne answered, wrapping his arms around Keaton's neck. The signature smile hadn't disappeared and the loving look in his eyes was still there.

"I love you too, Zayne." Keaton replied, pulling his boyfriend closer for a small kiss. He was finally able to say it. After weeks of waiting for Zayne to return and waiting even longer for a perfect moment, he finally found the right moment. He closed his eyes as his boyfriend's lips grew closer to his. Keaton never wanted this moment to end and he was sure Zayne felt the same way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
♠ ♠ ♠
My first one-shot on Mibba is [finally] FINISHED! :3

I can't express how happy I am to have finally been able to finish this story. I had been so worried that it wouldn't come out good if I kept rushing to get it done, so I waited until I could sit down and actually finish it xD
I did actually have a different idea for the plot in the beginning, but I think I might just do a sequel or companion to this story with that plot. I feel like it was too big of a plot to fit in one chapter.

Comment, recommend, and subscribe for a possible sequel or companion story! ;3

~akako