Status: WIP

Beans

Two

The next morning I woke up and checked my email. Nothing from Marty, so I scrolled through tumblr until my scrolling finger was sore. Then I ate some Oreos, plopped down in from of a blank Word document, and tried to write something.

I typed out my name several times, then sat back and thought about how cool it would be to write something people actually wanted to read. I decided it was the thought that counts, so I saved the blank document under "My Ratchet Book" as motivation.

About that time my mom came in to ask me what I was going to do today. I shrugged.

"You need to get out of the house. Go make friends. Go to work. Go do something, please." So I pulled on my sneakers, hopped on my bike, and stopped at the end of the driveway to check my iPhone. A new email from Marty popped up, asking me to come in in 15 minutes. I debated taking my car there, but the flub growing under my bellybutton said exercise was good.

By the time I arrived, I was a sweaty mess. Marty gave me a funny look, so I swiped my fingers through my hair and called it good. He gave me the rundown of procedure, the equipment, and when to sneak cool whip shots before slinking to a lounge chair in the corner of the shop. He said he wasn't sleeping, but no one drools that much when awake. I donned my apron and swipe of chapstick before stepping behind the counter.

It was a slow day. No one had come in in 45 minutes, do I dug a sharpie out of my bag and entertained myself by writing quotes on plastic cups. When the door swung open, I dropped the sharpie in surprise, leaving a long line across my arm. The guy rose his eyebrow. I casually capped the marker and smiled. In reality, my heart was beating a mile a minute and a blush was creeping up my neck. He was quite the attractive human being.

"What can I get you today?"

He ran his fingers through his hair, focused on the menu hanging above my head.

"A strawberry smoothie, please."

I nodded, and turned to the machine.

"Do you always write when no one is looking?"

His voice startled me. I faced him, smoothie in hand. I snapped on the lid, popped in a straw, and slid it to him across the counter.

"I do better when no one is looking."

"Well I'm looking now." his eyes met mine and I looked away. He read the quote scrawled across the plastic in his hand and laughed. "It says, "You can't spell 'thug' without 'hug'.""

I shrugged and that blush crept onto my cheeks.

"My name's Leo, by the way." Leo handed me a bill. "Keep the change." He was gone before I could say thanks.