Immortal Creatures

Drawing Attention

The slits of my eyes began to apart as I saw shadows of light dance on the creamy white walls. Tools sat lonely against my open door not too far from Layton’s feet. Wesley’s internal clock wakened her as well as she stretched her long fair toned arms above her head. Her pink thin lips shaped an O form; ready for her to take her first exhale. My balcony door was exposed letting the sound of nature ring into my ears. Wesley and I looked at each other with a greeting smile, and then looked at Layton’s lazy body take up some of my wooden flooring. Wesley nudged his shoulder with her tiny toes to force him out of his slumber.

“Come on Layton get your lazy ass up.”

We can both hear him grumble as he lifted his head up towards the bright orb that lit up the sky. He squinted as his eyes were premature to the big pour of light. Lifting up his torso, he reached out to snag one of Wesley’s feet. Luckily, she was too fast for his swat. We giggled at his struggling body with our fingers pointed straight at him. He roughly threw the cover at Wesley to shut her up as he gave me a unwelcoming frown. “ha ha guys!”

Heavy footsteps echoed into my room as a huge shadowy figure appeared onto the beginning of my doorway. Uncle Leon came back up with more tools; setting them next to the remaining ones that were there before. “Well good morning!”

We all mocked back the same greeting as we watched him head towards the weaken flooring that almost caused my fall last night. He grabbed the lining of his chin to stroke the ruffles of his dark brown goatee. Seeming like he forgot something, he looked towards me and led his head down a tad to look at the alarm clock that sat on top of my nightstand. “Say, do you guys have to sign up for school at 11:00?” All three of us darted our alerted eyes at the red bulky number that read 10:30.

“Oh shit!” We all shouted as we scattered the room for our clothes.

As my Uncle enjoyed us freaking out like squawking ducks, we bolted in different directions. Layton ran into the hallway bathroom as I rushed Uncle out the room so Wesley and I can get ready as well. I went through my walk-in closet scanning through acceptable wearing attire as Wesley stood in the corner closest to my bed changing into her planned outfit. I pulled out a red slim tank top and boot cut jeans that faded the colors purposely in the front. The black Nikes I wore were the most comfortable choice for standing in a long line so quickly I grabbed those to place them on my feet. Layton knocked on the opposite side of my bedroom door to make sure that we were decent.

“We’re good!” Wesley and I shouted.

Wesley tossed me her bristled brush so I can tame the bed head before we struggled to chase down the stairway. April sat at the kitchen table with a plate full of waffles and bacon. Layton, of course, grabbed a handful of each as Wesley and I only took as much as we can scuffle down before we entered the parking lot of the school. Leon and April stood in silence, enjoying our struggle out the front door. We all jumped into Wesley’s red vehicle ready for us to head to our objectives for today. Layton sat in the passenger seat and I was forced in the back. Soon enough, the wheels started to move towards our way to Grover Hill High. My heart pounded as I was anxious to get a sneak peek preview of what every day would be like for me. All I could think of is all the kids that could be there that picked on me when I was a younger version of myself now. When Wesley turned right off the busy boulevard, a dusty dirt road led us to the three story high school. It looked clean and updated like a college campus, but instead was covered in forestry. The football field was closest to the wilderness as most of the front didn’t. Wesley parked the car in a parking space where tons of teenagers gathered around theirs. It looked like signing up was the least of their worries. We three were the handful few that decided to go into the front. The pretty girls waved flirtatiously at Layton as other girls waved excitedly at Wesley. The two types of girls looked at me strangely, like I was a huge disgusting tick on each of their backs. I noticed some cuffed their hand to the sides of their mouths whispering as their eyes followed my every body movement.

I gently pulled the escaped lock of hair back behind my left ear awkwardly. Layton noticed me being uncomfortable, so he swayed his arm around my shoulders to hold me close to his side. “Don’t pay no mind to them, they’re just jealous.”

“Yeah right,” I mumbled under my breath.

Wesley pushed the giant thick auburn wooden doors to reveal a tan speckled marble hallway. The lights attached to the ceiling gave perfect amounts of light to take the illusion of the sun shining on our heads. Crowds of students raised to their designated lockers and explored their soon to be class rooms. We three entered in a room called the front office to register us for tomorrow. Layton went first, then Wesley, then me. At the end of the paper I signed my name beautifully to make my information official for tomorrow. The secretary handed three crisped sheets for the each of us to gives us our locker numbers, and classrooms. Luckily, our lockers were perfectly in a row next to each other’s, but instead of all of our classes the same we only had lunch together. My eyes widen as I saw no similarities of classes.

Wesley noticed that I wasn't exactly thrilled about the situation so she grabbed the sheet away from me. “I’m sure there will be one class that I can switch to be with you.”
Her smile forced my frown to change as well. I exhaled all my anxiety to relax my intense shoulders. Layton, of course, left us as a crowd of beautiful girls waltzed passed by. Wesley and I were left alone to seek out our coming soon classes. We both decided to go to Wesley’s classes first since hers was the closest to where we first started. Each of the teachers that she came in contact with gave her a warm cheeky smile and a firm hand shake. Wesley was geeked up to start school with her new teachers, but with me on the other hand, I was still nervous. My heels dragged at each of my classrooms until we came to my last classroom on the list. The teacher did something different than Wesley’s by ordering us to take a seat. He was a tall slim guy that looks like the glasses on his face didn't match as his daily attire. Pacing back and forth, he lied down thin crisp sheets of paper. Wesley and I sat in the back of the classroom feeling bubbly of the teacher’s methods.
The both of us were the last to for handouts so he walked to the front of his desk to begin his lecture.

“These papers will be due tomorrow for our classroom introduction. I need at least one paragraph describing about you.”

“Great, homework already.”

I lowered my head down to connect my forehead to the polished cool touch desk. Wesley chuckled quietly with the entire moan and groaning the rest of the students were making. Everything was chaotic until the sound of the room’s door open and the whole entire area grew quiet. Someone’s shoes clapped onto the tiled floor, making a straight across journey to the wall I was near. I slowly pick up my head to see a gorgeous tall guy heading my way to the empty seat next to me. His beige tone was like a painting as he was examined as perfection into all the girls’ eyes. The strangers jet black hair was pulled back into a ponytail; only leaving tiny strands of baby hair to tickle his forehead. I looked away to the non-shaded window to avoid my eyes to come into contact with his. I can feel his stare dig into the side of my face, forcing me to turn back. As I turned away from the window back at him, a smile shot at me like a bullet on fire. His eyes were black, but not dark enough to make his pupil disappear.

The teacher slammed the excessive stacked papers onto his desk to gather all the students’ attention; including mine. “As I was saying!”

The teacher rambled on about the assignment, losing me as I sat awkwardly in the back of Wesley. The guy leaned over close to me to make sure that his lips almost touched the edges of my ears.
“My name is Alex.
♠ ♠ ♠
Meet Alex!