Immortal Creatures

Missing Pages

My fingers intertwined together while my palms started to get moist. Words began to stick as nothing came out to respond back to his introduction. All the students rose up from their chairs and bolted out the exit as soon as the teacher ended his lecture. Alex just sat there in his seat as if he was waiting for me to make a move. Wesley grabbed my wrists, leading me to the exposed freedom to the crowded hallways of wandering teenagers. My eyes stuck on the image of Alex until the sight of him disappeared. Wesley dragged me to the lockers that were assigned to us. She leaned her back against the thin painted steel and turned her head to examine my face.

“Weird guy huh?”

I continued to keep my eyes glued to the opened doorway; waiting for him to come out. Still there was no movement coming in or out of that specific space so my sight began to bore me. “Yeah…weird.”

Wesley looked at her watch with anxious eyes. Immediately, she rushed in front of my small frame and pressed her hands on each side of my cheeks. “Will you be mad if I had to leave you for a bit?”

“Are you late or something,” I questioned.

Biting down her bottom thin lip, she let out a skittish grin. “Cheer-leading audition…but, I promise I’ll be back ok. It will only take an hour.”

Throwing my hands in the air, I rolled my eyes irritated. “What the hell am I going to do within one hour…first Layton leaves me then you!”

Jogging away with her back turned in the designated walking area, she waved apologetically as her hands positioned in a praying form close to her silent lips. I hit the indent of my back hard onto the steel surface while banging the back of my cranium all together. The scattered students looked at me like I was crazy as they saw me throw a mini temper tantrum. As I collected myself, I drew my last breath to clear my mind. I recognized the area around the school, so maybe I’ll just walk home. I headed to the giant front doors of the school; eager for me to feel the warm sun on my rosy cheeks. One step on the cement felt like freedom from the future jail cell I would have to attend in for a whole year, five days a week, seven hours each day. The cool breeze made my hair flap back like a superman’s cape; reflecting my three tones of brown. I waltzed down towards the dirt road to see the same following girls give me a little smug expression. The feeling inside my gut made it seem like I wasn’t wanted there already. Brushing it off my shoulder, I continued down the road until I saw a small trail that led to a familiar meadow which turned into a stream. Along down the stream was the cemetery that I used to hang out at as a little girl. I knew that I would be alone for me to collect all my thoughts so I encouraged myself to change direction.

Getting passed halfway into the meadow, I started to see fogs of mist burrow the start of my ankles to my toes. The humidity filled my pink lungs, almost making me gasp for more oxygen. The stream led me to the quiet hollow grounds. I can see my shoes kick up the mist into the air when I began to continue to the familiar statuette tombstone. It was an aged stoned angel that was holding a child on the indent of the curves of her hips. I used to sit underneath the tombstone pretending like it was protection as I would sit alone. My bottom hit the unseen ground; making my Indian style legs fade away. I felt a lump in my back pocket as I shifted my body weight onto the edge of my rear end. Leading my hand underneath me, I pull out my mother’s diary. I don’t remember gathering it with me when I left the house towards school. The starting points of my eyebrows connected as I grew curious of how it magically appeared into my back pocket. Still confused, I opened the book slowly to find the folded page of where I left off at. I decided since it lied there into my hands for my eyes to see, I mind as well start to explore the pages.

1989 Feb 13th

A week has gone by since no contact has been made from you. I went to our favorite spot by the stream where we used to lie down on the stable logs with our feet dangle on each of the sides. It felt lonely; tears even escaped from my eyes as I looked at only my reflection. I don’t feel safe anymore at this place. I feel like something or someone wants to harm me. Two days ago, I sat at the edge of our balcony to watch Mother Nature’s creations. Just a couple feet into the brush of trees, I swore I could see a tall figure stalk me. It could be that my mind is playing tricks on me because of the depression I have been feeling since of your absence. The end of the school year is almost coming to the end and I met a guy that I think you would fall in love with. Yesterday he took me to the drive-in where we saw a couple of horror films. He liked when I wrapped my arms tight around his as I clinched my eyes to avoid the scary scenes. Hope I would hear from you soon.

1989 May 21st

Graduation day was yesterday and I wish you were there to see me. I would be the first to graduate in my class at the age of 17. My cap and gown matched our school colors which was red and gold. The guy I talked about name is Justin. We made it serious in April. Yes, I know it is too soon, but something about this guy makes me want him even more. It seems like he put a spell on me that forced me to be bound to him forever. I miss you dearly sis; I just hope you will one day contact me to make sure that everything is alright. I feel like you have forgotten me.

1989 August 5th

Throughout the entire summer, you chose to stay away to travel off to Europe. I don’t understand why you barely contact me. Mom had sent me in the emergency room after an attack 2:00 in the morning. The doctor found no trace of wounds on my body where my blood was placed. It freaked me out to know that my scar has disappeared. All I remember last night is that I was with Justin at a party. We’ve gotten into an argument about some girl that tried to take him to some room alone. He tried to explain, but I threw beer into his face then bolted down the stairs. The last image of him was his expression of anger. As soon as I put the keys into the ignition, everything went black. I woke up to find myself bleeding from my neck on the ground with my car door open. Mom and I both tried to call you, but still nothing.

At the end of the sentence, my mind was itching to know more. As I turned to the next page, there was nothing. All there was were missing pages that looked as if someone snatched them out of the diary. The way it looked disturbed me as my fingers traced the rough torn edges. Whatever happened, it looked like someone didn’t want anyone to know what happened after the hospital. I can tell that she wrote more because of the ink torn letter that was visible in partial of the crease of the diary page. Too focused into the mystery pages, the sound of a twig snapping startled me. I swiftly closed the old book and stuffed it into my back pocket. My feet flattened onto the ground causing me to stand up tall. Still startled, my eyes searched for the source of the sound.

“Who’s there?”

More snaps of twigs scattered into my ears until I was able to see the cause of the sound. The new guy Alex I met at the school walked out from the clutter of trees. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you.”

“Are you following me now?”

He laughed heartily as his hand slapped the surface of his chest. “I come here every time before I head home.”
Still having my bright brown orbs glued to the sight of him, I question his statement. He walked down closer to me with his hand out in a greeting form. “I never got to know your name.”

“It’s…Mona.”

Compelling me to grab his hand, he delicately waved his finger on my suave buttermilk skin. His hands sensed like ice; giving my blanket of skin an extra sheet of goose bumps. Then, he lowered his head down so his lips would gently touch the lining of my knuckles. “A beautiful name for a beautiful girl.”

Unlatching me from his grip, he walked away to a desired tombstone to sit. I watched his legs swing back and forth as he faced away from me. It looked like he was intrigued by nothing. He didn’t look like the loud and flirtatious type of guy. He just rubbed me as the quiet and gentleman type. The way he made me feel made it harder to strike up a conversation. Nothing came to my mind instead of the questioning of why everyone reacted the way he did when he first appeared into the room. Instead, he turned back towards me to give me a depressing frown.

“If I do anything to make you uncomfortable, you can tell me. A lot of people make me out as a bad guy.”

I couldn’t dribble out a single word. All I can do is let my heart sink down to the pit of my stomach as I watched his eyes lower down. His body language expressed loneliness. Another rustle of twigs cracked on the left side of us. Alex hopped onto his feet with a nasty smirk he exposed. Out of the forestry came Layton, “I need you to come with me now Mona.”
His demanding tone forced me to his will. As I stood next to where he stood, he walked over to Alex until he was almost nose to nose with him. “You got a lot of nerve.”

“I knew I smelled a mutt,” he grinned playfully.

Layton’s fists balled up as it stuck to his sides. “I’m warning you Fonseca! If you or your brother comes anywhere near her, I will rip you to shreds with my bare hands.”
Stepping a few steps back, he surrendered his hands up. “Woah…I think you mean by the musty paws you call hands.”

Layton locked his fist towards him almost able to connect to Alex’s face. I obstructed his punch by swatting his hand back to his sides. “I should be the one picking a fight with you!”

“Are you serious,” Layton waved his arms above his head frustrated.

“Damn right I’m serious, as soon as you see some skin you follow like a dog with his red rocket out!”

Alex chuckled underneath his breath, “Dog is right.”

Even more irritated he elevated out his right hand with his palm up directing for Alex. “He’s saying shit about me and you are just going to expect me to take it.”
I sighed as my hand stuck on the round of my forehead, shaking it side to side. “Can you just take me home?”

Minus a sound, Layton twisted about heading for the small trail I came from. Alex nippily pulled my shirt casually to display himself giving me a friendly bow. “I’m sorry for how I acted…we will meet again.”

“The hell you will…come on Mona,” Layton shouted as he continued to walk into the green forest blanket.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please give me your thoughts on this chapter! it can even be about all of these chapters together. I love that you like this reading! :-)