Freckles

Chapter One

“Surf's Up/Aboard a tidal wave/Come about hard and join.” The Beach Boys blasted out of Lani Griffin’s beat-up, chipping blue radio. It balanced dangerously, rocking with each passing beat, on her teal jeep. It was originally a dark blue when it was passed down to her, but she couldn’t resist when she found the stunning turquoise paint.

Bent down on her hands and knees, sand dug deep into her tanned knees. A bead of sweat dripped down her ski-slopped nose as she sporadically, but still consistently, rubbed wax into her prized board. The layer of wax that had over taken it, and now dulled the previously bright yellow surfboard.

The back screen door creaked open, as her brother came down. “Lani, you’re still here? It’s got to be at least ninety five out here.” Bennett pondered, as he sipped idly on his iced lemonade. He sucked out of a straw as the glass perspired down the sides, dripping coolly onto the ground.

“I have to get this thing waxed before I hit the waves. I have to start out the summer smoothly, Ben.” Lani reminded him, wrinkling her freckled nose, raising her hand to block her brown eyes from the steady sun.

“We only just got here, Lani. We’ve been home two hours. You haven’t even unpacked your room yet.” He pestered, with raised eyebrows.

“The beach awaits, Ben! Can’t you hear it calling?” Lani said impatiently, as they paused and listened to the waves sang to them from the three-mile difference between their house to the public beach.

Ben rolled his dark eyes, with a small laugh. “Whatever you say, Lani. Just try not to melt in this treacherous weather.” Her brother stated, staying protected in the shade of the small summer home.

Lani couldn’t blame him. The weather in Atlantic Beach, Florida was deadly, and the sun was even more noxious. It could tan an albino in ten minutes tops, but that didn’t stop Lani from spending the most time she could out in that heat. Compared to her small town in Ohio, anything remotely heated was heaven.

Standing up, the small figured girl wiped off the stones out of her knees, not bothering with the sand. That was the thing here, you never did get the sand fully out of your crisp skin.

“I’ll be going now. Care to help your charming sister put the Monster on the board?” Lani questioned, as her brother reluctantly left his shady spot. The only thing left in the comforting darkness was his cool lemonade.

“I still don’t understand why you nicknamed this old thing.” Bennett huffed as he helped his sister lift the heavy piece of plastic onto Lani’s jeep.

“It’s not an old thing.” Lani pouted as she strapped Monster onto her jeep expertly. “It’s Monster. Take it or leave it. By the way, your lemonade is getting warm.” Lani teased, as she swung down into the drivers seat.

Ben shook his head with a loving smile as he patted the side of the car. “Drive safe kid!” He shouted after her, heading inside with his drink.

“I’m the older one!” Lani shouted back as she honked several times, having her brother wave her on. With a grin, she drove the few minutes to the beach.

The louder the waves in the distance got, the louder her heart beat. As soon as her car rolled onto sand, she jumped out and unattached her board. She took off at a run towards the wave, kicking up sand on random passerby’s objects but she didn’t care.

Eagerly, she kicked off her flip-flops, and shimmied out of her shorts. Her surf shirt clung to her body as she let out a small squeal, staring at the surfers.

She quickly ran towards the water, immersing herself in the chilly, salty solution. Her board floated comfortably on top of the rocky surface. Throwing herself on top, she peddled towards the waves coming her way.

She had to start this out right.

Waiting for a few moments, she scanned the waters, lettings the surfers faces pass before her. Eventually, when she turned back, she saw the perfect “beginning of summer” wave. A smile stretched out on her freckled face as she paddled towards it.

Turning around, she let the wave carry her as she promptly stood up. The wave flew her towards the shore, as the wind whipped through her brown hair. She let her arms come from her sides and stand out. Closing her eyes, she let the wind throw the salty smells up her nose as the heated wind kissed her face.

The sun warmed her hair and the chilly water splashed up on her sides. Everything was perfect. Summer had officially started and she was in love with it. In the midst of her thoughts, she glanced open. Suddenly, the blissfulness ran away, as another surfer was coming down her path.

That’s when they collided.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's a bit short, but it's the beginning of something big<3 Tell us what you think!