Status: Dunno

Fate Loves the Fearless

I

It was Saturday night and we had no place to go. We had recently been deemed "trouble makers" and had been grounded from hanging out together. But did that stop us? Hell no. We were young and invincible. . . I was nineteen, and my lover twenty-one. Our parents couldn't touch us.

We shouldn't have been stealing my day's beer and drinking it on the rooftop of my sleeping household. It was probably 2 AM and Adam had driven forty-five minutes to see me; that stupid little fucker loved me way too much.

We sat in silence, the ragged shingles making indentions in my bare shins. He sighed, taking a sip of the drink in his right hand. In the other, he was playing with the hem of my over-sized T-shirt.

"Shooting star," I said, my voice barely audible over the desert crickets.

"I saw it first," Adam teased. I smiled, poking his cheek.

"Alright, then what'd you wish for?"

"Can't tell you. It won't come true."

"I bet you wished for a new computer game."

"Nah, but close. I'll tell you when it gets granted."

Again we fell into silence. I had a single thought that had been tugging at my mind all day, planted by a dream I had had the night before. But for the moment I pushed it away and wrapped my arm around my lover's waist. "You should probably get going. I've gotta work tomorrow."

"On the weekend?"

"I... Took a few 'sick' days off."

"Well fuck going home. I'd rather die. Can I stay with you?"

I rolled my eyes and yawned. "I share a room with three sisters. No, you can't, though I wish you could. Go on, Romeo. I'll see you tomorrow."