Status: Dunno

Fate Loves the Fearless

II

"Teenagers scare the living shit out of me,

They could care less as long as-"


The static cut out the song I was bellowing as Adam drove along the mountainous road towards my house. A frown crept across my lips; he mashed the power button on the stereo, cutting the loud ruckus short. The only noise was his Jeep struggling to get up a hill and the wind whipping past.

"I hate living up here; I can't even get a damn radio signal," I grumbled. Adam nodded in agreement.

"I'd hate living so far out of town. I hate driving so far out of town, but ya' know, as long as I get to see you I don't care."

"Thanks for paying for my movie ticket, by the way."

"No problem."

My phone vibrated in my lap with an incoming call from mom.

"Where are you? You were supposed to be home an hour ago! When you get home we're gonna have a serious talk-"

The call ended abruptly due to my lack of signal, which I was thankful for. There were kids screaming and dogs barking in the background, on top of mom yelling at me. The house was always in total chaos when I left, even though my parents both acted like I contributed to the obnoxiousness (when in reality it was basically me that kept everyone sane - dad was always working and mom had an obsession with FarmVille).

"I don't wanna fucking go home. I'm so sick of this shit. Nobody in my house has a lick of sense and they always act like I'm a fucking criminal. I'm not a slut; I'm not a drug addict and I don't steal money. Yeah, I drink a few every once in a while with you and I swear, but that's not hurting anyone," I growled on my spontaneous rant. "I do my fucking chores, I do everyone else's fucking chores, I do six hours of school a day, I work, and I fucking babysit."

"I know you do."

"But they act like it's not worth a shit! My sister is the laziest slob on the planet who can't wash a plate without throwing a fit and if I do it for her - much better than she's capable of - they point out everything I did wrong and just. . ." I sighed, pausing.

"You don't have to go home. I can take you home with me, if you want," Adam said nonchalantly, but I could see his fingers shaking as he put on his blinker and switched lanes.

I smiled at him, putting my hand on my face. "I appreciate that. I really do. But I've already got a lecture coming."

"You know my number if you ever need a quick escape."

We were approaching the turnoff where my small town was located. He pulled off on the side of the road a few houses down from mine. Adam stopped and tugged at my hand. I scooted over to him and placed my head on his chest, his arm wrapping around my shoulders. He embraced me tightly before kissing my head and dropping me off at my house.