The Animal Side

JACK

Jack was crouched down against the wall, her t shirt clung to her back, wet and sticky as the rain had practically drowned her but she didn’t care, her mind was focused elsewhere, on somebody else as she watched him cross the road in a hurry to get to the other side, a half assed attempt to cover his head with an overly read newspaper.

She smiled as she watched him almost trip up on the kerb outside the diner, it was a place that she visited before, nothing spectacular but the food was hot and it filled the empty spot in the bottom of your stomach. He pushed the door open and sat himself down by the window and a woman, the waitress she recognised instantly came over and filled a cup for him of coffee. He had the same thing every night at 8pm, after his shift changed he would drop by the diner and get his fuel before heading back home, he was working as a temporary security officer for a private trading company.

His proper job, well if you could call it that was a Merc and he had followed her to the ass end of space and he knew that she was still here but he hadn’t found her but she had found him and had been watching him for a number of weeks now. In her crouched spot she watched through blinkered rain as he downed the hot liquid in record time before leaving the diner dropping a couple of UD’s on the table before him.

She knew his path, had stalked his home, his workplace she could even tell you what the man ate for lunch on a Wednesday afternoon but for now she would just watch him as he made his way back to his dingy apartment which he rented. She had acquired which spot she was going to surprise him in, she knew exactly where it was and she had timed it to perfection, she moved ahead of him, ahead of the crowd to beat him to the spot where she would make her move. Everything was set, as she crouched down in her favourite spot, the shiv ready in her hand as she locked on her target.

The bastard had caught her two years ago, he used her to try and uncover where Riddick was but she had said nothing and for her dedication to the man who had rescued her years earlier, Max Johnson had tortured her in the most inexplicable way. The crowd had fallen by the wayside, rain tended to do that to people, they didn’t like the rain at all and so the streets were barely overcrowded with men and women. Jack felt her muscles tense as the time for the kill drew in ever closer, he wouldn’t be the first she had killed over the years and she had envisioned he wouldn’t be the last either, licking her now dry lips she turned slightly until she watched him pass her by.

Edging closer along the wall she felt a large hand encompass her stopping her from making any sound whilst a second hand was wrapping itself round her waist and pulling her back, away from her prey and away from the kill she had been planning for weeks. She tipped her head forwards and in one swift movement snapped it back, head butting her assailant feeling his grip on her loosen enough for her to drop and roll to safety, the security guard now out of reach. Hearing a soft groan she swivelled round and gave a good kick to the crotch and watched the tall figure drop to his knees as one hand covered his nose.

“Fucker” she hissed as she turned and ran full pelt away from him, she couldn’t hang around and wait to see what other Merc had chanced upon her, she thought she had been careful enough to cover tracks obviously not careful enough. The man watched the figure sprint fiercely away from him as he rested his hands on his knees, a small trickle of blood dripped from his nose and onto the back of his hand as he tried to regain his breath after the beating his groin had just had.

“Shit kid” his voice slightly hoarse as he watched her disappear into the rain soaked night, not once chancing a look over her shoulder, he smiled and shook his head, Richard B Riddick had hoped for a warmer reunion with Jack. Stretching his muscles he had watched the disappearing form leave his sight, this was not the same Jack he had left on New Mecca those five years ago, this was a completely different person altogether. She had certainly grown in more areas than most women, her long dark brown hair had been partially braided and tied back and it had a certain natural curl to it that bounced when she moved.

Jack was certainly not mistaken for a male this time round and that was for certain, she had caught him good though, he hadn’t been expecting the head butt nor the kick in the crotch shortly afterwards, she had been trained well. His eyes didn’t miss the fact that her body had grown in all the right places that a good looking woman should have, curved hips and something else she hadn’t much of the last time he saw her, a chest.

“Maybe not a kid anymore” he whispered.