The Animal Side

HER

“Fucker” she hissed as she got back up like an expert gymnast in one flowing movement, running the back of her hand across her cheek where his fist had only seconds earlier connected with her skin making it sting.

In a surprise move she launched herself at him, shiv low at her side and they fell onto the floor, him on top of her, his body weight bigger than her own was pinning her down on the cold floor as his hands pushed the shiv back down near her left eye and she was doing everything in order to stop him fulfilling his actions. Riddick had seen a guy push through the crowds, he had pushed a piece of rag to his neck which was now bleeding profusely, he had kept looking back over his shoulder like he was being stalked and as he passed in front of Riddick was mumbling something about never joining the Merc in the first place.

Riddick growled and moved in the direction of where the hapless young man had come from, down a corridor he saw a set of double doors swing open with a bang and a body arc through the air before being unceremoniously dumped onto the tile floor. He recognised the figure immediately as it got up and launched in her own attack at the man whilst another two men approached through the doors, his pace quickened as he neared the sight of the fracas. Jack had improved in her art of survival, he made a mental note to point out the finer art of staying out of trouble then dumped that idea when he realised that it hadn’t really worked for him much. Grabbing the guy off of Jack he threw him to once side and stood over her horizontal form like a barrier so she could get up without being pounced on.

“This aint your concern stranger, why don’t you move on” Cole said as he looked over to Jack.

“Four grown men picking on a young woman and it aint my concern?” Riddick growled as he felt Jack brush up against his arm and move to one side.

“No, move on” Cole’s voice dropped an octave to push his point home.

“Cant do that” Riddick shook his head and smiled.

Behind Travis the air stirred as a woman came to a stop, she had been watching the interaction and had her interest piqued, not until the arrival of the other man had she decided that maybe the odds needed to be leveled out once more. Riddick spotted her at once and tilted his head as if it would afford him a better view of her, she stood a little under six foot tall and was athletic looking enough, her cherry red low-lighted jet black hair had been pulled back into a slick ponytail.

The khaki combat trousers she wore matched perfectly with the combat boots and fitted black t-shirt that left a little of midriff on display, around the navel a small tribal tattoo encircled it. Jack looked at the woman in front of them and noticed she wore the boots that she herself had been admiring in the window of a local clothes emporium on the station but hers were worn, battered but still perfectly in good shape. Alex Delaney stood firm, her shivs remained in her pockets, she could easily level the playing field without resorting to cutting flesh unless it came down to that.

Behind him, Travis also felt like someone was watching him and turned to look at the new player to the field, he recognised her immediately, the next target on his wanted list.

“Delaney” he muttered.

“Hear you been looking for me Cole, starting shit with my people, don’t take too kindly to people hurting family, you know how this has to end don’t you Cole?” she spoke calmly as her eyes darted to Riddick and Jack then to Cole’s companions.

“Well, kind of in a middle of something right now but I’ll get round to you” Cole smiled as he fingered a short handled blade.

“Tough. I’m here, you want me? Take your best shot now Cole” her fierce grey eyes stared at him full of anger.

His three other companions by now had withdrawn weapons and were pointing them a safe distance at Riddick and Jack, the latter had found sense to stay near to Riddick watching his back as one Merc leveled his gun at her head.

“Let me make this easier for you, you get the first shot” she said with a grin as she held out her hands and turned round to prove she was unarmed.

Cole laughed as he replaced his blade in its sheath and approached her slowly, she was at least a person of their word as he snapped his right fist back before landing one of her chin knocking her head back and splitting her lip. She leveled her head and ran her tongue over where she felt the blow, the cut bottom lip started to bleed as she rolled her wet tongue over it tasting the metallic blood, Jack winced when she watched their altercation.

“My turn” she said as she tilted her neck left and right hearing the audible crack of bones.

Cole for an instant felt a little apprehensive as he considered what moves she was going to pull and in that instant she used it to her advantage as she punched him back square on the nose hearing the crack then seeing profuse amount of blood stream from his nostrils, his hand instinctively reached to his nose wiping the blood.

“You bitch, you broke my fucking nose” he spluttered as he staggered back a few paces.

Slowly she moved forwards and with her right hand grabbed his neck, his hands instinctively wrapped around her own hand as she pushed him backwards up against the wall, a shiv in her left hand appeared and Cole’s eyes went wide. She pushed it up against his neck and slowly dug the tip into his flesh, without taking her eyes from off of him she pulled it across the centre of his neck as his body reacted to the attack. His eyes rolled into the back of his head as she felt his body go limp in her grip, letting go of him she watched his dead weight drop to the floor at her feet, casting a look over her shoulder to the three remaining Mercs they hesitantly were giving each other concerned looks before backing off and finally with a heightened sense ran to one of the exit doors.

Alex crouched and wiped the blood from her shiv on Cole’s clothes before searching him and finding a wad of UD’s which she pocketed, the list of bounties he was looking for and the start-up codes for Cole’s ship, all of which she pocketed before standing and turning to leave the scene. Riddick had considered checking the body for himself but she had already beaten him to it, he watched transfixed when she had deposed of Cole with such efficiency, it was the perfect kill, one he would’ve been proud of himself had he done it. He watched her leave as she disappeared through one of the exits, turning he was going to pick up his conversation with Jack and found her walking off picking up her pack as she made a bee-line for the stranger.

“Jack” he called out after her, she stopped in her tracks and looked over her shoulder to regard him.

“What?” she said.

“Don’t be running out on me now” he muttered as he caught up with her.