A Life for a Life

Chapter Ten

Miceál woke up with a start, his heart hammering, and a hundred and one thoughts running through his head. What was he doing, leaving Aoibheann and Caolan alone to deal with his mother?

He looked at his watch, squinting at it through the darkness, through the dim light that the streetlamp outside gave the room. It was midnight. He was dying to know how they were, but it was too late.

Miceál couldn't stand it, though. He stumbled through the darkness and went downstairs, and he picked up the phone, his hands trembling and cold sweat beading on his forehead. He dialled his home number and waited anxiously, begging someone to pick up.

"Hello?" Aoibheann's voice was whispered, as though she didn't want anyone to hear she was on the phone.

"Aoibheann! Are you OK?"

"Miceál! What – where – how –"

"You're all OK?"

"We're fine, why?"

"I had another nightmare … I dreamt about the time where she went for me. I feel so awful about leaving you both alone with her!"

"Why won’t you tell me what you're doing? Please, Miceál. You can trust me."

"I know, I know. Look, all I'm going to say is that I'm involved, all right? But I'm so sorry, Aoibheann, I can't tell you anymore than that. I'm truly not allowed. Don’t you tell anyone, all right? I can't be caught. I'll be killed."

Aoibheann let out a choked sob.

"What are you doing this for, after what happened to Daddy?" Aoibheann whispered.

"I'm doing this because of what happened to Da." Miceál said firmly. "I don't want them getting away with what they did."

"Please, Miceál, it would destroy us if you were killed as well."

"That's why you have to keep my little secret."

"Miceál –"

"No, Aoibheann."

"I miss you, Miceál."

"I know, Aoibhe. I miss you too. I really have to go."

"Be careful, Miceál."

"I will. Love you, wee sis."

"I love you too, Miceál."